All in Good Time

Three, two, one

Fifteen minutes.

The time was coming closer and closer. I still had no idea how it was we were going to escape. How it was even possible to get the guard to not pay attention as we slip out the door. I had to keep trusting Baylee. Which was getting harder and harder as the minutes rolled past. I took one last look around the silent cell. And took it all in.

The green mold that formed in every corner. The pool of dingy water that has collected in the middle of the room. Because the floor is uneven. The one bench in the back of the room that we were all expected to sit on. And all the people who might never make it out.

If one person were to, if this plan were to work. I hope it’s little Scarlett that gets out. I really do.

Ten minutes

I looked a Baylee, who wasn’t even breaking a sweat. She was sitting there like any other day, smiling. She knew what was about to happen. Slowly she got up and went over to Scarlett who was playing with the water in the middle of the room. She kneeled down by her side, and pulled on one of her curls. Scarlett giggled. Baylee said something to her. Something that I couldn’t hear. Her eyes got wide for a moment and she looked frightened, but just for a instant. Then she nodded almost knowingly. I couldn’t worry about that now. I’d find Scarlett again when this is all over.

Five Minutes.

Baylee came over to me. Grabbed my wrist with her hand and just stood there with out saying a word. She was looking at the clock. Just as I had been since she told me of her plan.

“Are you sure this will work?” I asked, becoming too anxious. She held her finger up to her mouth. I didn’t say another word.

Trust her, Lana. I said to myself desperately trying to calm my nerves. They were becoming live wires under my skin.

Two minutes.

Baylee took her eyes off the clock and looked down at the floor. A small pebble sat by the tip of her shoe. She looked at me only slightly then kicked it toward Scarlett, who was still playing in the water. Noticing the small ripples she looked up at Baylee and nodded the same knowing nod again, then she looked at me, with eyes that seems to be flooding with tears and smiled. Suddenly she started screaming. So loud you’d think she was being murdered. The guard rushed in and unlocked the gate, he moved quickly over to Scarlett.

One minute.

She continued to scream.

“What happened?” he guard tried, but she kept on. “ What are you screaming about, you little brat!” he screamed back, grabbing her shoulders and shaking. She screamed louder and louder until you couldn’t even hear what the guard was screaming back at her. Baylee’s hand closed tighter on my wrist.

”Three, two…” she whispered tightening her grip even more and sliding toward the open gate. “one.” she finished. We slipped outside the confine of the cell, and through the only exit. We had safely escaped when I heard a loud popping noise come from our block.

“Scarlett.” I whispered. Tears pricked at the back of my eyes and threatened to show themselves. But, I knew better. Baylee let go of my wrist and cleared her throat.

“It was a sacrifice we had to make for our freedom.”