Status: Fin.

And Now the Tables Do Turn

I'm exactly where you'd like me, you know.

When I woke up the next morning, John was in the shower. I rolled over in bed, pressing my face to my pillow. I took a peek at the time on the alarm clock and cursed when I realized it was barely nine o'clock. I hadn't gotten home that morning until nearly five. I'd simply changed and crawled into bed before going to sleep instantly.

With only four hours of sleep under my belt, my eyes were heavy and the sunlight streaming through the opening in the heavy curtains burned my corneas. Sighing, I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to get back to sleep.

It didn't work. Soon enough, I heard the shower shut off and I realized that there was no chance of getting more sleep. I sat up and pulled my hair up before tying it up with an elastic. I flopped back down against the pillows and yawned.

John walked in a few minutes later, shirt in hand. "Morning, Spence," he said smiling as he sat down on the edge of the bed beside me.

"Morning, babe," I responded, yawning again.

"You're up early." He leaned down and kissed my forehead quickly. I smiled, toying with the wet ends of his hair.

"I know," I said, scrunching up nose in distaste.

"You should try to get more sleep," he advised.

"I tried, but no luck." I shrugged before sighing and rolling towards John more. "Are you getting ready to leave?"

"Yeah," John said frowning.

I pouted. "Why do you have to leave so early?"

"We're leaving for my aunt's in a couple of hours and I have some things to do at home," he explained with a sigh as he pulled his shirt on over his head. "I'll probably be home really late tonight."

I sat up and leaned against him. I pressed my lips to the fabric of his shirt and caught the familiar smell of his fabric softener. I wrapped my arms around him tightly and squeezed.

"Were you even going to wake me up before you left?" I teased, resting my chin on his shoulder.

"I had planned on it," he answered with a quiet laugh. "You should probably get more sleep since you'll be partying it up all night."

"I'll try to get back to sleep, but no promises." I shrugged. "When can I see you again?"

"Want to go out tomorrow night? We can go to a nice dinner or something. Sound good to you?" he suggested, looking over his shoulder at me.

I nodded with a sigh. I unwrapped my arms from around him and flopped back against the pillows. John leaned over me and pressed his lips against mine. I cupped the side of his neck as our lips moved together. Too soon, he pulled away and gathered up his things. He returned to me again and kissed me quickly before leaving.

When he left, I sighed trying to relax to get back to sleep. I dozed for a few hours before climbing out of bed at eleven fifteen. Melanie had texted me earlier, saying she'd be ready to get lunch at one. Keeping that time in mind, I took my time showering. I shaved my legs and deep conditioned my hair before wrapping a towel around me and getting dressed.

Two hours later, I was meeting my sister at Chipotle.

Melanie wasn't quiet as tall as me, despite being older by two years. Her hair was a shade darker and her eyes were dark brown while mine were. When I arrived, she was leaning against the outside of the restaurant, her arms crossed over her chest. She saw me and smiled, standing up straight as she removed her sunglasses.

We exchanged greetings as we walked into the building. The two of us remained silent as we stood in line. We got to the table and dug into our meals. This is how it always went during out lunch dates - we ate, then talked.

"So," I started, finishing the last bite of my burrito bowl. "How'd it go last night; were you able to get out of that date?"

She rolled her eyes with a sigh. "He didn't buy the lesbian thing until I spent ten minutes trying to convince him. When he finally believed me, he just kind of groaned and was all 'Why does this always happen to me, blah blah blah.' He went on like that for fifteen minutes. After I hung up on him, I watched a bunch of Lifetime movies and ate a pint of chocolate chip cake batter ice cream."

I smirked. "Sounds like you had an awesome night."

"What else is new?" she joked, taking a drink of her tea. "How are you and John?"

"Good," I said with a nod, pressing my lips together. "He's out of town all day, so I'm going to work later then going to a party at Brian's house."

"Brian...do I know him?"

"The lead singer."

"Oh, that one," She said with a laugh, keeping her comments to herself. Melanie didn't really care for any of John's band members, or even John himself. In her opinion, they were too cocky.

"Say what you want, he has some good parties," I told her with a shrug, gathering up my trash. My phone, probably at the bottom of my bag chimed.

I dug around for it and pulled it out, smiling when I saw that I had a text from John.

hey beautiful, just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and I love you.

A bit of a blush rose up my cheeks as I smiled softly. I read it a few more times before closing the message and returning my phone to my bag.

Soon, Melanie and I wen out seperate ways. I returned home to change into my work clothes and to check my school account to check my grades. Work was busy and while I was scheduled to get off at eight, I didn't leave until nine thirty.

I returned home and showered quickly, mostly just washing my hair. I brushed my teeth, curled my hair, and redid my make up before spending several minutes debating on which shoes to wear. I settled on pumps and stepped into them, texting John to tell him I was heading out and that I loved him. I shoved my phone into my pocket and grabbed my keys from the kitchen.

I parked two blocks away from Brian's because last time I parked right outside at a party, a very drunk Josh Montgomery had hit my car.

After a five minute walk, I approached the house. It was the typical party setting. Cups were strewn across the lawn and it was still early. Several girls ran across the yard, in only their jeans and bras, laughing madly. Eyebrows raised, I walked through the open door into the chaos in the living room.

"Eyyyy!" Brian yelled when he saw me walk through the door. He jumped over the back of the couch, nearly faceplanting as he did so.

"Hi, Brian," I said, laughing a bit as he placed a wet, sloppy kiss on my cheek. He just reaked of booze to the point that I coughed.

"I was wondering when you'd show up," he slurred, smiling from ear to ear.

"I had to work, but I'm here now," I told him, smiling a bit at his appearance. His eyes were slightly blood-shot and his forehead was covered in sweat. "Where's Jess?"

"What?" he yelled over the blaring music.

"Where's Jess?" I repeated, louder this time.

"Out back maybe," he guessed. "Grab a drink!"

"Got it," I said with a wink before making my way through the house. I stopped in the kitchen to pour myself a Captain Morgan and Coke.

Jess was in the backyard where Brian had predicted, watching a game of beer pong between Josh and someone I didn't recognize.

"Spencer!" she said excitedly waving me over when she saw me. I smiled, taking a drink as I headed her way.

"Who's winning?" I asked, fixing my eye on the ball, taking another drink.

"Who do you think, Monroe?" Josh Montgomery tested, his voice dripping with confidence. I rolled my eyes.

"What, did you finally get your head out of your ass so you can see the game?" I asked, pursing my lips. He smirked, winking at me before returning his attention to the game.

On a normal occasion, Josh Montgomery annoyed me. His bleached blonde hair screamed arrogance and he was overly cocky. He had no shame and had made passes at me right in front of John. Add in alcohol and I flat out couldn't stand him. True, I was biased due to previous experiences, but when he was drunk, he was sloppy, loud, and crude.

"Fuck!" he yelled, before downing two cups of the beer. Before I could make a comment, someone hip checked me, sending me flying into Jess. Dree, Stephen's girlfriend of several years, had found me.

Dree was the one had pushed John and I to get together a while back, setting us up on a series of surprise dates. It was cute, and it worked, but her ways were unconventional.

"Spencer!" she roared in my ear, her arms locked around me.

"You are so fucking loud," I told her with a laugh, trying to untangle myself from her without any luck.

"You love it." She pressed her lips to my cheek and left them there.

"Keep it up, ladies. That's hot," Josh commented, clapping his hands once and whistling at us.

"Bite me, Montgomery," I snapped at him.

"I'd love to," he said, snapping his teeth at me. Before I could tell him how disgusting he was, Dree pulled me away by my wrist, dragging Jess with us.

"Where are we going?" I asked, nearly tripping as we made our way back to thus house.

"We're both alone here tonight, so we need to celebrate with some shots," Dree exclaimed, stepping over someone who was already passed out on the lawn.

Three hours, four shots, and two beers later, I was still able to walk straight, which surprised me. I had lost Dree and Jess several hours ago, and now, I was sitting in a lawn chair, watching the chaos around me.

Wishing I had another drink in hand, I dug my phone out of my pocket and dialed John.

"Hello?" he answered after several rings. He sounded very groggy.

"Shit, did I wake you up?"

"Eh, not really. I was just dozing," he told me. "How's the party?"

"It's one of Brian's parties, so it's a bit out of hand, as always," I joked.

"How much have you had to drink?" he asked, laughing quietly.

"Dree and I did some shots to 'celebrate being here alone,' or so she said, and I had a few beers," I told him honestly, smiling to myself.

"Can you walk straight?"

"Surprisingly, yes." John always said that I was a lightweight, and most times, I tried to prove him wrong.

"I'm proud of you," he teased. I felt a pang of loneliness and frowned. "How long are you planning on staying?"

"I haven't really decided yet. I'm trying to sober up right now, so I'll probably leave at some point soon."

"Okay, just be careful driving," he told me, sounding worried. I smiled softly.

"Concerned about me?"

"Very, but only because I love you," he said quietly and sweetly.

"I love you too, John."

"Are we still going out tomorrow?"

"I don't see why not," I said with a shrug.

"Good, because I miss you."

"You're so sappy." I laughed as he yawned. "Go back to sleep, baby. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Alright, be careful."

"I will," I said before hanging up. I stuffed my phone back into my pocket before leaning my head back.

Two minutes later, a wet, shirtless Josh Montgomery dropped himself in my lap.

"Get off!" I told him, pressing my hands against his back and trying to push him out of my lap.

"Only if you're there to help," he said, his words blending together.

I rolled my eyes, my lip curling in disgust. "Why are you wet?" I questioned, feeling my jeans go damp.

"I took a bath with some girl," he shrugged, leaning against me.

I scoffed. "I didn't know it was possible for one person to have so much class."

He shrugged, yawning quietly. "I try."

I rolled my eyes and he gave me a smile. I returned his smile with a straight face.

"Can I have a ride home?" he asked me.

"You have got to be kidding me," I groaned, rolling my eyes. "You're not getting into my car soaking wet."

"I could go naked," he said with an obvious wink.

"Nevermind what I said last then," I said pursin my lips. "Are you ready to go now?"

"Yup," he said with a nod, sliding out of my lap, much to my happiness. I stood up as well, my jeans wet where he'd been sitting.

We walked back through the house, pausing whenever Josh would want to say goodbye to someone, usually a girl. When it took him three minutes to say goodbye and make out with a redhead, I grabbed his wrist and pulled him along.

"Why'd you park so far away?" he whined, slouching immensly as we walked to the car.

"Because I don't want some drunk asshole to hit my car," I told him, already extremely irritated with him. He laughed loudly and continued to laugh to the point that he nearly fell over into someone's yard. "Come on," I said, rolling my eyes.

I grabbed his wrist to pull him along and he wiggled his hand enough to get it down to mine. He laced his fingers through mine for a split second before I wrenched my hand away.

We finally reached the car and I unlocked it and he slid into the passenger seat and proceeded to fiddle with all of the air vents, air and stereo contols.

"Must you?" I asked, annoyed as I started up the engine. He grinned innocently and I sighed.

Thankfully, he stared out the window while I drove and somehow, that kept him occupied. I stopped in his driveway and put the car in park, turning off the engine.

"You're welcome," I told him, unlocking the doors.

"Want to come in?" he asked, looking at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Why would I want to do that?" I responded. I just wanted for him to get out of my car so I could leave.

He shrugged, opening his door. Quickly, he reached across the car and grabbed my keys before jumping out of the car.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I yelled at him. He had made it to his front door and had opened it by the time I was able to get my seatbelt off and open my own door. With no other choice, I stepped into his apartment, and looked around.

"I'm in the kitchen," he called from deeper into the apartment. I rolled my eyes and located the kitchen, where he was digging in the refrigerator.

I looked around the apartment, rather surprised that it was even remotely clean. Sure, there were dishes piled high in the sink and the counter was covered in unidentifiable food, but in general, the house wasn't that filthy.

Leaning on the counter, I stepped out of my shoes, only because my feet were killing me. "What are you doing?" I asked him, trying not to sound as irritated as I really was.

"I'm hungry," he said simply. He set two bottles of beer and a container of what looked like spaghetti on the counter. He walked across the kitchen and grabbed a fork from a drawer and took a bite of the spaghetti before offering me one of the bottles.

"We just came from a party, and you're already drinking again?" I confirmed, just looking at the bottle in his hand.

He shrugged, twisting the cap off his own bottle and taking a long drink. "Yeah, I guess."

I simply pursed my lips.

"Now you're just being rude," he said with a cocky smile, still holding the bottle out of me. I glared at him before sighing through my nose and taking it from him. "That'a girl."

He smirked as he watched me twist the cap off and take a quick drink.

"So, tell me: Where's the boy tonight?" Josh leaned on his elbows against the counter taking another bite.

"Family thing, Stephen's with him. Why so curious?"

"Am I not allowed to question the whereabouts of my best friends-slash-band mates?" he asked defensively, laughing once.

"Not when you're drunk and alone with your best friend's girlfriend, who's boobs you can't stop staring at," I said, tilting my head to the side as I smiled at him knowingly.

His cheeks went a little pink and he shrugged it off. "Well, what am I supposed to do? I mean, they're right there."

I rolled my eyes, taking another drink of beer. I shook my head once. "What'd you do with my keys?" I asked, remembering why I'd even come in in the first place.

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

"What are you, twelve?" I asked, pushing my hair back. I took another drink, hoping that the more I drank, the less annoying he'd get.

"You're confusing my age with the size of my penis," he informed me, smirking. I blinked at him.

"This is the last time I'm going to ask-"

"What happens if I don't give you your keys this time, if this is the last time you're going to ask?" he interrupted, just trying to piss me off.

"If you don't give me my keys, I will rip your balls off."

"Kinky; I like it," he said with a wink.

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"C'mon, just stay a while. What's the worst that could happen?" he challenged.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lunch.
Party.

Hello darlings, I'm back. (:
please, please, please comment and tell me what you thought about the chapter!