Forbidden

Lillies Part I

It’s already been two months and two weeks. The boys were supposed to be here just two months, but they decided to sign a contract for about a year or something. There would be a time that they wouldn’t have to do photo shoots, but that we, photographers, had to go to their soccer practices and take shots of them. The best shots of them.

It was a Friday, and we were all going out for drinks later, except for me. I was already getting tired of all these nights out. I slid up my arms a white cardigan, my office was, as usual, cold. I was going through some pages of some magazine, those bastards were lucky enough to have Gerard’s beach photo shoot in their pages. I got distracted by a few shots, and then went towards the ‘reading’ part. There were this few pictures of him walking around with some girl. I frowned and took the magazine closer to my face, but before I could take a close look at her, there was a knock on my door.

”Come in” I said looking up. The door was opened just a little, and then a hand slide inside showing me a white single lily. I recognized Gerard’s hand and chuckled, ”What is that?” I managed to say between laughs. He walked inside, closing the door behind him, and then flashed a smile at me.

”That, is for you” He looked at the lily and then at me. I stood up and took it. He wrapped his large arms around me waist, pulling me into a tight hug.

”What’s the occasion?” I asked as I pulled away and placed it on top of my desk, admiring it as I did so.

”Does there always have to be an ‘occasion’ for just bringing you flowers?” He said innocently as we both sat down, him on the chair in front of my desk and I on my usual chair. I raised an eyebrow at him, ”Yeah, okay, I do have something to tell you”

”What exactly?” I said grabbing the magazine and trying to concentrate on whatever the captions of the picture of him and some girl said.

”It’s good news, it’s like..big news! I’m very excited and wanted to tell you first” He started saying but I barely even paid attention to him. All my focus went to whatever the caption said. It was in Spanish, I barely even spoke it, but I tried my best to understand whatever it said.

El futbolista, Gerard Piqué…- wait what? What the heck does that mean? I barely understand ‘El’

”…I know I know, it’s been just less than three months, but it’s just very strange and I’ve never thought that.. ” He kept talking, almost not noticing that I wasn’t really paying attention to anything he was saying. I finally managed to realize that ‘futbolista’ means soccer player.

El futbolista, Gerard Piqué, se le vio..-what the..?! I don’t understand!

I seriously need to get myself into Spanish classes. I frowned as I kept trying to understand. The google translator would be good in moments like this. Skipping parts wasn’t helping either, I had to read it slowly, process every damn word in my mind, and try to find a dictionary or some translator inside me.

”..and I didn’t know if I should, but you know how things are! And how fast time goes by! I never thought of it that way, not until a few weeks ago when.. ” He kept going, I was still concentrated on the damn words that didn’t seem to have a meaning at all.

El futbolista, Gerard Piqué, se le vio con nueva..- oh God..

Another set of words. This was getting annoying. I was about to ask Gerard to translate, but he was too busy talking about something. I felt like a little girl learning her abcs when I finally understood the sentence so far. I sighed almost at the same time that Gerard had.

”…just amazing, it was like a click! Almost like some switch, you know? I was thinking of maybe.. ” He seemed as if he was giving some type of speech, but I kept ignoring him without even thinking. I just needed to understand what I was reading. The curiosity was way too high.

El futbolista, Gerard Piqué, se le vio con nueva novia.

That I understood as soon as I read. My eyes were widened as I stared at the picture and at the one sentence I had just finally translated all by myself. ‘The Soccer player, Gerard Piqué, was seen with a new girlfriend’. I didn’t even bother on reading where, when, or even what they did. I kept staring at the girls face, she seemed very familiar, but I couldn’t remember where I had seen her. Then it clicked, it all made sense.

”..and the thing is that..I think I love her” He finally said and I automatically looked at him, confused, surprised, shocked.

”You think you love..who?” I said as I turned the magazine so he would see the article. His lips formed a smile as he took it gently from my hands and started to read it. I stared down at the lily, completely startled.

”Her, that’s the girl I was talking you about! The one I met in the bar the other day? I just explained how we managed to call each other again after that night” He smiled wider, but my face was almost on the floor.

”Explain me again what does she have to do with that?” I said referring myself at the flower, almost disgusted at the idea that it actually had something to do with her.

”I’m sending her some flowers and I wanted to know what you think of them” He said looking at me. I couldn’t bare myself to look at him; I just wanted to kill me. None of this would be happening if…I’m not even saying it again. I slowly looked up at him, ”And…?” He was waiting for an answer and I just couldn’t give him the one I wanted to.

”Why are sending her flowers?” I asked afraid of what he might reply. His smile surprisingly grew wider and he leaned closer to me as he took something out of his pocket.

Oh, fuck.

He showed me a little satin black box and opened it, exposing probably the most amazing ring I’ve ever seen in my life. I stared down at it, my mouth slightly open, not in awe, but in complete shock.

”You’re marrying her” I whispered under my breath as I looked up at him, my eyes suddenly started to get teary but I then looked back down at the ring so he wouldn’t notice.

”I’m asking her tonight afternoon” He said, I could even hear the smile in his voice, ”but I needed to tell you first” I quickly looked up at him, forgetting the fact that I was almost tearing up.

”Why?” I mumbled as he tilted his head slightly to a side, looking at me with that sweet smile of his.

”Because you mean that much to me” As those words slipped through his lips, I felt as if I melted and then evaporated. I stared at him for a moment before even starting to think straight. A tear rolled down my cheek and I quickly looked down and cleaned it.

”I uhh…” I started to say, I sniffed and grinned weakly, ”it’s beautiful” I had to tell him the truth. I couldn’t keep lying to him; I couldn’t keep lying to myself. He didn’t deserved being lied to. He stood up and made me stand up too. I frowned as he wrapped his arms around my waist, taking me into a tight hug. I closed my eyes and rested my head on his chest, wishing that I would be the one he would be proposing to tonight. I inhaled his scent, almost as if I would never see him again, as if this was the one last time. Except that if it would really be the last time, I would tell him the truth and it would no longer be the last time.

”Thank you” He whispered and then pressed his soft lips against my cheek, and with that he pulled away with a smile on his face.

Tell him, you moron!

”I lied” I said quickly, not even letting him take the box back inside his pocket. He looked at me frowning. I started panicking.

”About what?” He asked placing the box back inside his pocket and turning to face me. I couldn’t believe that I was saying it. I opened my mouth several times to say something but nothing came out. He was about to talk to me but I talked fast enough before he could get a chance.

”Th-the lilies” I chickened out, ”They’re…hideous. Get her some roses” Not even a smile, I couldn’t even smile. But he laughed and nodded.

”Got it” He kissed my forehead and with that left, leaving me there. Once he closed the door I hit my head against the desk. Another missed opportunity to come clean. Even when I knew that he will hate me after I told him that, I just wanted to tell him and get it over with. Now I won’t even get a chance to tell him the ‘feelings’ I had for him. Who would’ve said it? The gay best friend in love with the soon-to-be engaged one?

**