Status: Active. Comment for a sneak peek of Chapter 17.

To Die Unknown

Chapter 16

“Shut the hell up!” I yelled, opening my eyes and pushing myself up. I crawled to the edge of the building, glaring down at the horde of infected surrounding me. When they saw my head peeking over the edge of the roof, their voices grew. I only grew angrier in response, screaming back at them, “Ahhh! See? It’s fucking annoying!”

Rolling my eyes, I crawled back from the ledge. I wasn’t entirely sure how long I’d been on this roof, but, I knew that more than a few hours had passed. I’d been using the backpack as a pillow and resting my eyes.

My stomach ached as I made my way back to the bags. I pulled my shirt up, glancing in dismay at the bruising skin.

I pulled the backpack into my lap, emptying the contents and the pockets of it. There was a small first aid kit, three large bottles of water, a couple energy bars, canned food, a crinkled copy of The Sword of Shannara, a bar of soap, a bottle of Advil, shampoo, multiple toothbrushes, toothpaste, various articles of clothing, a blanket, a brush with ponytails wrapped around the handle, and a machete.

“They weren’t lying when they said they were out of weapons.” I mumbled in dismay, popping open the lid to the first aid kit. I took out the gauze, hospital tape, and a small bottle of peroxide from the kit.

I pulled off the dirty red shirt and untied the strip tied around my upper arm. The skin around the jagged cut was a bright red, indicating the start of an infection. Gritting my teeth, I poured the peroxide onto the wound. The liquid fizzled and whitened in response to the starting infection. I hissed out in pain, pouring more peroxide onto the cut.

It was a difficult task to bandage my arm one handed, but, I managed.

I grabbed one of the shirts from the pile, pulling the loose gray t-shirt over my head. I packed the items back into the backpack, leaving the machete out. Grabbing the faded pink purse, I dumped out the chocolate bars. Stuffing them into the bag, I left the empty purse. I lifted the heavy bag, putting my arms through the straps.

I put the gun into the front of my jeans, grabbed the machete, and approached the front of the roof. I stared into the street, ignoring the infected below. Today, I was going to learn to drive.

I inspected the cars below me, trying to find one that looked like it would run. That majority were trashed. Further down the street, I saw one car that looked like it might run. I scowled at the Smart Car, which was the only vehicle in my view that was in remotely good condition.

I walked to the far end of the roof, opposite of where I had jumped. Below me was a closed green dumpster. The alley had a brick wall at one end, and a locked fence leading to the street.

The majority of the infected had crowded the alley where Amanda had met her death, however, many lumbered about before the building. There were none in the blocked off alley below.

I took off the bag, dropping it below me. I watched in dismay as it slammed off the corner of the dumpster and onto the pavement below. I gripped the sheathed machete tightly and moved closer to the edge. I jumped off, trying to shield my head and angle my body to better impact my fall.

I cried out when my back slammed roughly into the dumpster, before rolling off onto the pavement. I groaned, curling my body in on itself. I could feel tears forming and I blinked repeatedly, trying to ignore the pain. I rolled onto my knee’s, pushing my body up. I gasped at the pain that surged through my back.

I put the backpack on, cringing at the overwhelming pain. I picked up the fallen machete, unsheathing it and holding it at the ready.

I would have to run as fast as I could to make it to the Smart Car. It was further down the street than I would have liked. I would also have to run past the infected crowded in the alley.

I took a deep breath and ran forward, slamming my body into the fence. The fence gate opened, pushing back against the infected woman on the other side Darting out of her way, I ran as fast as I could.

I couldn’t waste any time slaying the infected, I had to save my energy for this escape.

The infected seemed to converge around me, exiting alleys and buildings as they sensed me approaching. I raised the machete, slashing it through the remaining arm of an infected man as he reached for me.

A woman came sprinting from the alley as I passed it, growling at me. A course of adrenaline rushed through me at the sight of her. I pushed my body harder, trying to quicken my pace. My heart was beating erratically and my breath was leaving me in short pants.

I could hear the infected behind me, the fast footfalls of multiple fast ones. They were gaining on me, I knew it. They wouldn’t slow, they never did. There would be more and more to make up for the ones I could outrun. But I couldn’t run forever.

The small red Smart Car stood out like a beacon in my mind, a beacon advertising comfort and safety. I would only have to reach it.

I reached the car, slipping around the open door. I launched my body into the tiny car, trying to close the door.

I yelped when the infected slammed into the car, rocking it with the force of their impact. I kicked at the infected child grasping the door, pulling it closed in response. I pushed the lock down and reached over to lock the other door.

I pulled the bag off my back and put it on the passenger seat, leaving the machete in my lap.

There were six infected runners slamming repeatedly into the car. I was shocked at the amount of runners. They were spreading, and quickly.

Further down the street, a horde of infected lumbered toward me.

Trying to ignore the cracking glass, I searched for the keys.

“Come on, come on.” I whispered, as I searched. I pulled down the sun visor, almost crying when the key fell into my lap.

I put it into the ignition, turning it and frowning in response.

It wouldn’t start.

I tried again. The car made a strange sputtering noise in response.

I looked up. The car was completely surrounded now. Infected pushed against the car, slamming their bodies closer to me.

I knew it. This was it. They would get through and I was done for. It was only a matter of time. Survivors, like myself, didn’t have the longest life spans.

I pulled the gun out of the waistband of my jeans. I’d rather take my own life then let the infected. I brought the gun to my mouth, closing my lips around the barrel.

One more time, I would turn the key one more time.

With my right hand, I turned the key.

The car sputtered loudly as it came to life. I let out a garbled sob around the gun, taking it out of my mouth. I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking about how close I’d been there. I really needed to think out these plans better. So far, I was getting lucky.

One of these days, it was bound to run out.

“Un-fucking-believable.” I whispered, dropping the gun and putting the car into drive. This shouldn’t be too hard, like a video game. I used to be good at those. I slammed my foot onto the gas, my body lurching forward with the car.

“Shit!” I grabbed the steering wheel as the car hit the infected man before me. I turned the wheel, shouting as it whipped to the right. “This is not like Grand Theft Auto!”

My eyes were wide as I ran over another infected, my body bouncing off the seat with the impact. I hadn’t even put the seatbelt on. The gun and machete fell from my lap, dropping by my feet.

I struggled to control the car, never taking my foot off the gas. The car swerved as I struggled to turn it away from the oncoming horde of infected. Blood and grimy chunks of hair were smeared across the windshield, partially obscuring my view.

I made a large U-turn, nearly driving into a storefront.

“Why is this so hard?” I yelled, my own panic and fear overwhelming me. I loosened my harsh grip on the steering wheel as the car sped away from the infected. I zigzagged through the streets, finding it nearly impossible to maintain control.

I looked into rearview mirror, grinning as the infected fell further and further behind. I can do this. I can do this. My thoughts were filled with encouraging chants as I drove on.

-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

“This isn’t so bad.” I mumbled to myself, contradicting my earlier comments. I’d been driving for quite some time now, swerving through the desolate streets.

I hadn’t seen Brian, yet. Where could he have gone? I was growing restless as I continued searching for him. I had no clue where I was, where I was going, or what I would do if I couldn’t find Brian.

He was the only one who could take me to my sister. I would also be very quick to relinquish my control of this vehicle if he would drive instead. In fact, I wouldn’t mind if I never drove a car again.

The windows on either side of me had long cracks spiraling the length of them like spider webs. The windshield had one long crack through the middle. The crack had a chunk of hair sticking from it, smeared with blood.

I took one hand off of the steering wheel and honked the horn. It would draw the attention of the infected, and hopefully the attention of Brian.

“Where the hell have you limped off to?” I asked aloud, eyeing the buildings on either side of me carefully. I hit the horn again, allowing it to blare loudly.

The pain in my back was immense. I tried my best to ignore the overwhelming pain and focus on the road before me. Maybe next time I wouldn’t be so quick to jump off a building.

There was a dumpster below me, I reasoned with myself. I would have broken some bones or killed myself if the dumpster wasn’t there. Which is why I did jump, because the dumpster was there.

It wasn’t that bad of an idea. I mean, sure, it had its flaws– but I was alive and in one piece. That was what counted, right?

“HEY!” A voice shouted behind me. Startled, I turned the wheel roughly to the left and slammed my foot onto the brake. The wheels screeched loudly in protest to my aggressive driving.

I knew at once, that me driving was a terrible idea. If I had been an experienced driver, I’d know that slamming on the brakes in such a manner was not good. I’d know that turning the car at the same time, was worse. And finally, I’d know that not wearing a seatbelt was beyond senseless.

However, I have absolutely no driving experience, and am therefore privy to such foolish mistakes.

The car flipped.

My unbound body bounced from the driver’s seat, slamming into the roof of the tiny car. The car continued its destructive spiral as my body was painfully ricocheted about. I struggled to keep my arms raised as a protective barrier around me head.

The glass of the passenger side window shattered, raining painful shards upon me. I clenched my eyes shut against the piercing onslaught.

After what felt like minutes– though in reality couldn’t have been longer than one– the car stopped. I cautiously unfurled my body. Ignoring the aching in my body and the blood I could feel trailing down the side of my face, I strained my ears.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The stench of gasoline assaulted my senses. I opened my eyes. The car was upside down, with me lying painfully against the roof.

“Holy shit,” I murmured, as I looked beside me. The machete was lodged into the roof, inches from my head. “That was lucky.”

Drip. Drip. Drip.

I rolled onto my hands and knees, dislodging the machete. I threw it out the passenger window. I grabbed the bag and shoved it out the window as well.

“Where’s the gun?” I move my head sluggishly, trying to pinpoint the weapon.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

“Screw it.” I dragged my body out of the passenger side window, crawling away from the car. I picked up the backpack and discarded machete before dragging my body further away. The smell of gasoline was stronger now, turning my stomach with its nauseating scent.

“Come on!” I felt arms wrap around mine as I was dragged away from the vehicle.

The gasoline from the car caught fire. My eyes widened when the car exploded. I was thrown back into the person dragging me. I felt the searing heat of the explosion, as well as the painful debris.
I coughed around the smoke, struggling to lift my body.

“Are you okay?” I raised my head, seeing a familiar face.

“You have no idea how surprisingly happy I am to see you.” I whispered, staring into Brian’s chocolate gaze.

He shifted under my weight, carefully extracting his body from mine. I remained there for a moment, trying to gain some control over the escalating pain in my body.

Brian stood above me, his weight shifted onto his uninjured right foot. The swelling around his right eye had gone down, the bruising fading to a yellowish-green color. I could tell he needed to shave, seeing as there was some dark scruff growing along his face.

“Wow, you just blew up a Smart Car.” He laughed, his eyes dancing over the scene in amusement. I closed my eyes, allowing myself to release the breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding.

Don’t worry Victoria, I’ll find you.
♠ ♠ ♠
It is currently 5:45 am here in Canada. I've been up all night working on this, howevere I haven't gone back and edited it yet. Sorry for any mistakes. My computere received multiple viruses and crashed. I had to have it wiped (meaning I lost everything) and get a couple new parts for it. So, that took a while. I only got it back yesterday.

I also wanted to declare my love for Alexander Skarsgård. I love him. I really do. :]

Oh, I also did my research for this one. About Smart Car's nonetheless. I really hate those cars -.-...Anyway, I believe they were released in Canada in 2004, which means they were released earlier than that In America (I think). Seeing as the world went to shit a little bit after that, Smart Cars were in existance. Ha, research! :]

Anyone who comments this chapter will receive a sneak peek into the next chapter (which I will start after this). Thank you to the amazing commenters:
Ghastghost24
She Said Poptarts
WalkingOnBrokenGlass
PyroAngel
toriluvsyoumwah
jskars
JimmyTheWolf
MyButterfly0001
debot10
bloodravyn
Baby.Blue.Eyes
DrinkTheSun
peace_of_mind7


Comment & Subscribe