Status: Active. Comment for a sneak peek of Chapter 17.

To Die Unknown

Chapter 6

The cell was cold, dark, and dank. I pulled my knee’s to my chest as I continued counting the dark gray, cracked tiles along the walls. The cot I was seated on was thin and uncomfortable. The mattress was thin and the bars of the metal cot were felt through it with every move of my body.

They had given me a thin fleece blanket. It was draped around my shoulders, trying to fight off the cold. There was a small toilet in the far left corner, a grungy sink beside it. The cell door was a heavily barred wall, covering the front of the room.

I couldn’t recall how long I’d been here. But I certainly was not enjoying my stay.

The shock of Sebastian being gone, was unbearable. I believe I might have been in shock before.

Where as normally, I would have struggled my hardest not to be dragged in here, I had been calm. My mind had gone into overload, and my thoughts were incoherent. How had I let this happen. How had so much gone wrong in such a minimal amount of time?

And then, after being in here for however long, my thoughts came clear. I came back into reality, the shock had faded.

I don’t understand where I went wrong. I always kept close watch over Victoria and Sebastian. How had Sebastian managed to have been bit, and not give off any symptoms?

I wondered how Victoria was handling this. Her infatuation with Sebastian was not well hidden. Although, he himself, had never been aware of it.

The lone light bulb in the middle of the ceiling began flickering. I sighed. I really didn’t want to be down here covered in total darkness. The light only illuminated a dim spot in the middle of the room, casting just enough light to make out the features of the rest of the room.

I kicked out at the wall childishly, a frustrated grunt escaping my lips.

“Are you alright in there?” A masculine voice asked from my right. I turned my head sharply, seeing no one.

“Hello?” My voice came out sounding more confident then I felt. To my right, it was another dark tilled wall, and nothing else. I shifted my body on the cot, positioning it closer to, and facing the right side.

“Are you alright in there?” The voice asked again. I could make out a light accent, the deepness of his voice nearly masked it. Could it have been Russian?

“I’m fine. Where are you?” I questioned, bewildered.

“In the cell next to you.” He scoffed. I rolled my eyes at my own stupidity.

“But, I didn’t see anyone else when I was brought here.” I had walked past countless darkened cells. None with any signs of human activity.

“You wouldn’t have,” He sighed. “My presence, for the most part, is not known.”

“And why is that?” I inquired, wondering if I was socializing with someone who deserved to be here. He was silent. Was he a rapist? A murderer? But then again, weren’t we all killers today? I wondered, most of all, if I should’ve been afraid of him.

“I suppose it was merely a difference in beliefs.” He stated. I raised my eyebrows. That didn’t seem to be a practical reason. I rolled onto my back, stretching my form out on the cot. My head was at the right end of the cell, closer to the strange man in the cell next to me.

“Why are you here?” I snapped out of my reverie, crossing my arms behind my head.

“I punched the one running things.” I couldn’t help but let a scoff escape my lips. My Uncle, was a man that I had grown up adoring. I had admired him, and respected him. To think that he was the reason for this living hell, I could barely believe it.

“You punched Robert? I wish I’d had the opportunity.” I waited silently for him to elaborate. “He was my partner.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Robert and I were working on biological weaponry. It was a gas. One that when shot through ventilation systems, could temporarily paralyze those that came in contact. As, I’m sure you noticed, it went terribly wrong. We knew the risks. In fact, this compound was being made before we had even started. It wasn’t as if we were the only ones working on different experiments. This place was a precaution that has deeply benefit so many people.” He paused, succumbing to a coughing fit. I waited for him to stop.

“But, I thought that Robert was training those Guardians.” I said, confusion laced in my tone.

“No. That was just a story. Just before the outbreak occurred, Robert and I were coming here. We knew that the containment was going to fail So we were coming here to work on a possible cure, and maybe a vaccination to protect the living. Our vehicle broke down and we were stranded. A van pulled up and the occupants offered their help. It was the so called Guardians. They were only teenagers, just some boys in a band. They had heard of the outbreak, and believed it would remain contained. We explained it was only a matter of time, and in exchanged for the use of their van, we would offer them sanctuary and teach them to fight.” He stopped talking, possibly awaiting my response.

“But, why didn’t you try to help anyone else? Warn them of what was going to happen? Then, we all could’ve prepared for it.” My mind was going into overdrive. These Guardians, were no different than I, or anyone else for that matter. Now that I really thought about it, they didn’t look much older than myself.

“It would’ve been a waste of time. We’d already warned the government. They didn’t believe us. So we came here of our own accord.” So the government truly didn’t even consider the lives they were endangering with their stupidity. I shook my head in frustration.

“Are there others? That you know of?” I inquired, not sure if I really wanted to know what was going on within this encampment.

“Yes.” He said immediately. “There are other compounds like ours, we generally try to keep in touch. We trade resources from time to time.”

I pursed my lips. How have we been on our own for so long without coming across anyone else, living at least.

“You need to be careful around here. Not all things are as they seem.” I took notice of the cautionary tone he used. I sat up, letting my legs dangle over the edge of the cot.

“What do you mean?” I asked sharply. The sound of footsteps approaching alarmed me.

“Listen carefully. These people are extremely dangerous. If you want answers, tread carefully.” He stopped suddenly, the clinking of keys made me raise my head. A man stood at the cell door, his face partially masked by the barred wall.

I stood up as the door swung open. I forced my shaking hands into the front pockets of my jeans. “What’s going on?”

“They think you’ve learned your lesson.” He turned his back to me, walking back down the hall. He paused, turning back to me. “You coming?”

I nodded my head, walking slowly after him. I looked into the cell next to me. A large form sat huddled in the corner of a cot.

“I’ve always loved the novel The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells.” His voice was lowered and all I could do was nod. I was baffled by his comment.

I continued following the man ahead of me down the winding halls. He turned, facing me. I was able to see his face for the first time. His eyes were a beautifully colored vibrant green. His black hair showed a nice contrast against his pale skin. A small embarrassed smile adorned his lips.

“Um, I’m not too sure where we are.” He scratched his head looking around the various hallways. “I could’ve sworn it was this way.”

“Maybe it’s that way.” I said, pointing randomly to the left. He nodded his head, a large grin slipping his lips.

“I think you’re right.” He took off down the said hallway. His steps looked more sure. “I’m Zacky.”

So this was the Zacky I’d been mentioned of. I nodded my head to show I’d heard him. I assumed he knew who I was, since he’d been sent to retrieve me.

“You’re married to Jane, right?” If I was correct, it was her clothing that I’d been wearing.
“You’ve met Jane?” He asked, turning a sharp corner. An exit sign flickered precariously above a metal door.

“No. Diana mentioned her to me.” I stepped outside, the door slamming behind me. It was dark and eerily silent.

“It’s lights out.” He said. I raised my brow. He used his arm to point around, emphasizing the lack of movement. “Just before dark, we all close in, locking up. Aside from patrol.”

“What’s patrol?” I inquired, falling in step beside him.

He pointed to a ladder about 30 meters from us. The ladder was hanging from a tall platform. I took in notice of the platform surrounding the large walls around the compound. Various ladders were scattered about. A couple men wandered the expanse of it, their attention focused on the other side of the wall.

“The infected in this area, are attracted to us. So they come and surround us. When we left, the majority of them followed us. When they see us moving about, they will follow. We generally lose them all, so when we come back, there aren’t as many around. The ones on patrol will generally shoot them to allow us an easy entrance. But when we’re here for a long period of time, without anyone leaving, more will come.” I understood the idea, and it was good. Having people constantly patrolling made things safer.

“Well this is where you and your sister are staying. I’d advise that you stay inside. Whenever a break in has occurred, it’s generally been at night, when they’re most active. We try to remain silent.” He turned on his heel and walked away, his form disappearing into the dark.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been so long, I was having issues deciding on how to end this part. I know it's short and not very exciting, although there are some very important things mentioned. But, that's because the next one is going to be longer and have a lot of action in it.

Thank you to;
KnifeMistress
Evanescent Dasha
who commented twice.
MusicMadness

Comment and Subscribe

Disciples of The Unseen.