You Left Me the Password to Your Heart

Peyton

It was a boring morning for Peyton as she lounged on her dad’s recliner in front of the TV, even though she didn’t even glance at the screen that was showing some British soap opera. Her eyes focused on the book she was reading that she found up in the attic. It was the original version of Romeo and Juliet. The cover was moth-eaten and dust smelled, but there was something about it that made Peyton wanted and curious to read it. She discovered some little notes on the sides of the pages of at the end of a chapter. There was no way her dad was the owner of the book, or even Caroline, even though there was a huge chance she was the one who had this.

As Peyton kept going on the book, someone tapped her shoulder. She turned her attention to the one who tapped her and it turned out to be Gemima, her stepsister. “What are you reading?”, Gem asked in her thick British accent, just like Caroline’s. As much as Peyton hated Caroline, she loved Gem just like her own sister, who lived with their aunt back in New York.

She shrugged her shoulder. “Shakespeare. You wouldn’t be interested.”

Gem went over to the couch and sat there, eyeing the lit up television. “You don’t like to watch telly? There must’ve been an interesting show for you.”

“I don’t know.”, Peyton muttered with her eyes back to the book. “The TV sucks most of the time and I don’t really understand their accent, but somehow, I understand yours.”

“Silly.”, Gem giggled and left the living room, up to her room. Peyton still could hear her dad and Caroline talked in the kitchen about Gem and even her. From what she heard, her dad wanted Peyton to move in with them to Bristol, but as obvious, Caroline wanted her to just stay in New York because “she has a great job there”. After a while, she heard footsteps towards the living room and someone’s presence above her. Peyton lifted her head and saw her dad, leaning down to her with his arms wrapped on the top of the recliner.

“What are you reading?”, he asked with a wide smile on his face.

It was hard for Peyton to not smile back. “Romeo and Juliet. I found this in the attic.”

“I never knew.”, he furrowed his brows. “Anyway, we haven’t been out together ever since you got here, sweetheart, do you want to go somewhere?”

Peyton’s eyes widened and sparkled. Did her dad really asked her to spend a day with her? “Of course, daddy!”, she squealed and quickly jumped off from the recliner. They got their jackets from the coat closet by the front door and went out from the foyer. It was a chilly morning and when Peyton looked out to the sky, it was grey and dull; the typical England weather.

They walked on the sidewalks and just talked about everything they had in mind. Peyton told her dad about her job and how she would be shooting for Nylon in New York Fashion Week with all the excitement she had in her body. It had been a long time since the last time they spent a day together, remembering how they lived in different continents. Peyton really wanted to bring up the topic of her mom, but she knew it was a sensitive topic to talk to with her dad.

When they passed a playground, Peyton decided to ask her dad to walk through the park. It was empty and there was an empty small basketball court. “Up for a game, dad?”, she smirked as she picked up a ball.

“Oh, you’re challenging your own dad?”, her dad smirked back and took off his coat before throwing it to the nearest park bench. “Bring it, Pey.”

Peyton started to dribble the ball and avoid her dad who wanted to get the ball and shoot the ball towards the basket, but it bounded to the other way. “Oh, burn!”, her dad laughed as he ran and got the ball for himself.

They went into a game of basketball for over an hour and a half. Their game was filled with Peyton’s squeals when her dad got her or her dad’s complaints when Peyton cheated to get the ball. Suddenly, there was a ring from her dad’s coat. “Hold on, Pey, I gotta take it.”, he panted as he walked to his coat and looked for his phone. “Hello?”, he answered to the call.

As her dad took his call, Peyton sat cross-legged on the court and wiped the beads of sweat that was dripping down from her forehead. It was such a tiring game, but Peyton couldn’t be any happier to spend her day with her dad. They could go to the theater and watch a movie together or get some fish & chips, Peyton’s favorite food. “Hey, dad.”, she called out just as her dad finished his call.

When her dad turned around, his facial expression changed drastically. His smile turned upside down to a frown. His face was as white as paper; like someone drowned all the blood on his face. “Dad, is everything alright?”, Peyton asked as she stood up and walked towards her dad that froze on his spot like a statue. “Hey, dad?”

“Caroline… Caroline got into the hospital. She got a heart attack and fell down the stairs. Her head hit the floor first.”, he muttered so fast, even I had to take a moment to get what he was saying.

“Oh my God.”, Peyton gasped and covered her mouth with both of her hands. Not again. She didn’t want her dad to go through the same pain all over again.

“I have to go to the hospital.”, he breathed before putting his coat back on and ran towards the exit of the park, without asking Peyton to come with him or something. There goes her special day.
**********
When Peyton stepped into the hospital room where Caroline was staying, she saw her dad crying besides her bed, holding her hand tightly. It was the same view when she saw her mom dying a few years ago, but, this time, it was another woman. Gem was outside, sitting at the plastic waiting bench, crying her eyes out. Caroline was still unconscious because she hit her head pretty good when she fell down the stairs.

“Oh, Peyton.”, her dad looked up to her when he noticed her presence in the room. His eyes looked puffy and red with swollen circles around them. In conclusion; her dad was miserable.

“Dad, I can take over. You should take Gem home.”, I suggested. It would kill me to look over Caroline for a night but somehow, her dad and Gem needed a rest, while in the other hand, she felt fresh and awake. “You’re tired.”

He shook his head. “No, I need to stay here with Caroline.”

“No, dad.”, Peyton sighed. “You’re tired. You’ll get sick too and you would burden yourself if you get sick. Please, just take Gem home and I’ll look for Caroline.”

Dad looked up to her first daughter and finally nodded. He stood up from the chair and gave Peyton a kiss on the cheek before walking out the room. She sighed and decided to just sit down on the chair besides Caroline, waiting for her to wake up. Peyton suddenly reminded by Matt and his E-Mails. She pulled out her phone and went through her inbox to look for a new E-mail from him.

From: JMF_mouse@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: ☺


Well, traveling is my cross to bear ☺ but I have fun, because I’m traveling around the world with my best friends, what could I really ask for more? Haha. You could add my AIM, it’s MattMouse, haha, don’t laugh!

Yeah, just a couple hours train ride, you definitely need to visit me or vice versa ☺ Oh, your step sister is a fan? I’ll tell the guys ;) you and your sister should come to the show when we get to Bristol! I could hook you both with passes and you can give me back my Mickey :P

You really obsessed with Disney?! Me too! I mean, I’m really obsessed, especially with Mickey, haha, he’s just too darn awesome! Well, I listen to all kind of music, actually, no barriers or something.

I’ll keep that in mind so every Summer, I’d find you at Bristol ;)

I currently taking care of my lead singer because he’s having food poisoning from a cup noodle, gah ☹

How about you, Peyton?

-MF


She smiled. At least she knew someone cared about her, even though she hadn’t met him or she only talked to him through the internet. It was still nice.

To: JMF_mouse@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: ☺


Still, it’s so awesome that your job is to travel! Even though mine is too sometimes, but I don’t know… My job has its pros and cons, haha. Mine is Pey.Minnie, and Matt, would it be a burden if you sign into AIM in an hour? I really need some company right now.

Suuuure, but you have to let me crash in your place or just buy me the train ticket, haha :P That would be great! My stepsister would love it, haha, she’s in love with your guitarist, I don’t know why. Such a tween.

I think we should go to DisneyLand together and freak out over the characters! That would be so awesome ☺ We could listen to each other’s iPods while having our turkey leg or chicken nuggets, or even the Mickey shaped chocolate puddings.

I don’t know where to find you in summer ;) hahaha.

Really? :o that sucks! Tell him I say get well soon. Well, I’m looking over my step mom in the hospital because she fell down the stairs and still hasn’t wake up. Kind of bitter.

I’ll wait for you on AIM ☺

-PJ


After she tapped ‘Send’, Peyton quickly signed into AIM, waiting for Matt to sign in too. She needed all the entertainment and company she could get tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay,short, but this is what i had in mind. I'm so sorry for the lack of updates because i always find myself juggling the ideas i had and choose them to be a chapter. I hope you guys are still sticking with me and this story!
Comment/subscribe?
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT,I LOVE LOVE LOVE TO READ ALL OF THEM <3
<33333

P.S ATL cancelled their show in Jakarta today... I don't know how should i feel, but I'm trying to let it go because I'm sure they'll come back soon and I'm more sure I'll be luckier than the last time :) KEEP UP THE POSITIVITY <3 you should too ;)