You Left Me the Password to Your Heart

Peyton

Her eyes fluttered open and blinked a few times to adjusted her vision to her surrounding. The view outside through the small window was dull orange, probably because it was almost sunset down there. Peyton sighed and sat up straight before fixing her clothes and finger combed her brown hair. The seat next to her was empty all through the flight and she placed the unknown Mickey there.

She looked at it and narrowed her eyes before picking it up. “Who are you belong to?”, she mumbled as she turned the doll around and around, trying to find some identification on it. Peyton had her initial and e-mail address on her Minnie, and probably this guy had something on his.

The little tag on Mickey’s back caught her attention. Peyton straightened it out and read the guy’s initial. ‘MF’ that was written on it. “Well, MF, you have my Minnie. How can I contact you?”, she mumbled and tried to focus her eyes on the tag. There was an e-mail address on the other side of the tag. Peyton pursed her lips to the side before getting her MacBook out of her bag under the seat.

According to the view outside, the plane would land soon so Peyton rushed to turn on the computer and waited until the desktop showed up. Her fingers tapped on the folding table rhythmically. First thing first, she needed to find out that if this guy had her Minnie, if not, she’d probably be depressed.

When the desktop lit up, she checked if there was an in-flight internet and there was. Peyton’s finger fluidly moved on the track pad and clicked on the Safari icon. As the blue bar loaded, her eyes flickered to the Mickey stuffed that sat next to her. His big eyes stare at her, like it wanted her to e-mail his owner.

“You’re weird, you know?”, she muttered to the doll before rolling her eyes and smacked her forehead lightly. “You’re fucking losing it, Pey, talking to a damn doll.”

The screen shown her e-mail inbox as the home screen and Peyton quickly clicked the ‘New’ button. When the empty e-mail page showed up, Peyton took a deep breath before her fingers frantically moved on the keyboard.

To: JMF_mouse@gmail.com
Subject: I got your Mickey


So, this is probably so random, but I think I found your Mickey and I got your e-mail address from the tag on the back of it. I just wanted to know that if you have my Minnie with you, because probably, you were the one who I bumped into back at LAX. If you do, can you please reply this? I really want it back.

-PJ


After clicking the send button, Peyton exhaled and leaned her head back on the headrest. Suddenly, the dark sky outside lit up with the lights from below. She tightened her seatbelt as the captain of the flight announced that they were going to land soon. Peyton could feel as the plane went lower to the ground and it shook violently as the wheels made contact with the ground.

There was this feeling in the pit of her stomach to be back in Bristol. Her family used to take a vacation on summers when she was still a kid and before her mother died. Now, her dad re-married and moved here for no apparent reason. Peyton’s hands gripped the edge of the armrests and her nails dug into them. The memory of her dad telling her when he was about to marry Caroline always made her anger boiled up.

Peyton snapped out of her thoughts when she realized there were only a few other passengers left in the plane, including her. She unbuckled her seatbelt and stood up, stretched her arms and legs first before grabbing her bag along with the Mickey Mouse. She rushed out from the plane and smiled to the flight attendants that were saying goodbye at the exit of the plane.

She took a deep breath of the fresh airport smell as her legs brought her to the immigration counters. There was a queue line so she lined up. Peyton pulled out her phone to check some of the calls she missed or texts she got while she was on the plane. The first missed call that appeared was from her boss. She sighed and tapped on the number to call her back.

After a few tones, the person on the other line picked up. “Ah, Peyton, finally.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Hawthorne, I was in a plane, you know, to Bristol.”

“Yes, I’m well aware of your break to visit your family.”, she said through the phone, but Peyton could identified the change of tone when she said ‘break’. “Anyway, Peyton, have you done the cover for the summer issue before you go?”

Peyton bit her lip and nodded slightly as she moved forward because the line had moved. “Yeah, I did. I gave it to your assistant, for you approval.”

“Well, I’ve seen it and I think I told you to take a picture on a beach, not at a park.”, she said sternly. Peyton took a sharp breath at her tone. She cursed herself inside while waiting for Miss Hawthorne to continue her critics. “A park is suitable for Fall's issue. Peyton, I know I promised you a promotion to head photographer, but you need to listen to what I said before you make your own damn decisions.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Hawthorne, won’t happen again. What about I found some models here and try to take pictures at the beaches here?”

There was a long pause before Miss Hawthorne exhaled on the other line. “Fine, you have a week to get it done. I expect a more better work from you, Peyton.”, she said again before a click was heard.

Peyton took off her phone from her ear and she just wanted to scream at the top of her lungs. First, her Minnie, and now her job was at the brink. Without her intention, she was already at the front of the immigration booth. The officer motioned her to come front and Peyton cleared her throat before she did.

After the officer stamped her passport and gave it back to her, Peyton sauntered off to the luggage pick up area. The other passengers were surrounding the moving railing with the luggage on it. Peyton identified her lime green suitcase and picked it up quickly. While she made her way outside to the cabs, she arranged the words that she would say when she’d meet Caroline. There were no words better than ‘bitch’ or ‘go to hell’, but those were not choices.

She got into one of the empty cab and told the cabbie her dad’s address. Peyton leaned back onto the seat and looked outside the window, trying to figure out what her summer
would be like.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm really happy with the reads,thank you so much:D
anyway,comment/subscribe?
<3