Letters to Crushes

Dear Esben.

E.

I don't know what is so special about you. Maybe it was your looks, but I don't really think so, because I didn't think too much of you when I first saw you. You were just another man. I thought of you as a madman, to be quite honest, I have to be honest, you're not like other people. You made me laugh though. Apparently you noticed me as well. I think that you actually talked to me is the reason why I can't get you off of my mind. You walked over to me. That never happens.

The last person I got to know was to be my best friend's boyfriend. This was also what happened the last time a man walked into my life. The reason why they bother talking to me, is because they want to take an interest in one of my friends, and I am a natural part of that process. It's not a bad thing, it doesn't really matter. That much. However, you were interested in talking to me. You only talked to the others because they were my friends. Suddenly the tables were turned.

I still can't believe that you noticed me. There were other people around that were far more interested and, let's face it, definitely more attractive than I will probably ever be. I remember that you looked at me for a while. Your head was slightly tilted to the side. I noticed and did the same. For a moment we simply stared at each other, then you looked away. I felt something new. When we met again later that evening that same feeling overwhelmed me. I have had crushes before, I might even dare to describe what I have been feeling for certain other people as love, but what I felt when I saw you walking over, calm and with a beer in your hand was something new entirely. I wasn't nervous, I simply smiled. Usually I never know what to say, but this wasn't a problem when you were on the receiving end. You felt so good in my arms.

I can't get you off my mind. No matter what I do I somehow manage to relate it to you somehow. Every time I step outside I find myself looking for you, even though I know that you're pretty far away and let's face it, who would ever want to come here? Still I look for you when I step outside, I still look over my shoulder, because I really just wish you would come walking over to me again. I really can't wait to see you again. I wonder if you will be the same the next time we meet.

It's been a while since we talked. Actually, I know the exact amount of days and the exact amount of hours since we last spoke, but I don't want to frighten you with the details. Luckily you probably won't read this. Or maybe it would make things better if you did.

- L.