Status: completed!

Remember the Old Days?

Carry All Your Baggage

Taylor had her luggage out, not packed, just sitting there. She stared at it. The site of it broke her heart. She was leaving in a couple of days. She was leaving Charlie. Taylor groaned at the thought of actually having to say goodbye to him this time. She wanted just to leave and get over with it. But she knew she couldn’t; not with what happened to him last time. Taylor got up to move the luggage to her bed. She would at least try to get some packing done.

“What’s this?” Charlie asked as he entered the room.

“My luggage,” Taylor said. She didn’t look up to meet his eyes. She was afraid of the sadness in them.

“But you’re not leaving until a couple of days. Do you really need to pack now?” He really meant please don’t pack; it makes it too real that you’re leaving.

“I want to spend my last day with you, not packing. So I’m going to get some of it done now.”

Taylor didn’t want to. It made it too real that she was leaving.

“Come on, Tay. Let’s do something else.” Charlie pulled on her hand, give her pleading eyes.

“I need to pack, Charlie. Do mind helping?”

“I really don’t want to.”He didn’t mean as he was too lazy too; Charlie meant it as he wasn’t going to let her leave.

“Please. It will make it go faster.” Taylor stuck her lip out.

“You could just stay here and you won’t have to pack at all.” Charlie smiled, trying to convince her.

“Charlie, we talked about this. I have a job in New York. And what I’m supposed to do when you go back to college?” Taylor put her hands on her hips. Charlie had been telling her to stay since they got back together. She didn’t want to hear his heartbroken voice again.

“You can come with me. We’ll find an apartment, just for the two of us,” Charlie said the
same things he told her a month before graduation.

“I can’t. I wish I could but I really can’t. I would feel like I’m holding you back from your college experiences,” Taylor replied, shaking her head. “Plus, where am I supposed to find a job?”

“You can find a job, Taylor. You’re just making excuses.” Charlie’s voice was harsh. He didn’t mean it to be that harsh. Nothing he could do about it now.

“I’m making excuses? Well, excuse me for building a life for myself. A life I’m proud of,” Taylor spat back.

“You’re proud of a life where you leave me heartbroken and your friends devastated.”

Taylor’s eyes narrowed as Charlie when he said that.

“Don’t throw that back in my face, Charlie. You know I had to leave.” Taylor was near in tears.

“No, you didn’t. You could have stayed. You can stay now. Why won’t you?”

“Because I have a job, my dream job, waiting for me back in New York,” Taylor screamed, tears running down her face.

“You’re going to leave me for a job? I see how you really feel about me Taylor,” Charlie retorted back, crossing his arms.

“You said you were proud of me for following my dreams. You know I would love you to go follow your dreams even if it meant leaving me.” Taylor’s voice quieted down.

“I just want to love you. To be with you. Can you let me do that?” Charlie cupped Taylor’s cheek, looking in her eyes.

“I want to Charlie, but I have to go back. I hope you can understand,” Taylor said, looking down avoiding his glaze that would break her down.

“I understand perfectly fine, Taylor. I guess you’re too scared to commit to me. I can’t do anymore. Goodbye, Taylor.” He kissed her forehead and walked away.

Taylor heard her bedroom down slam. She broke down as soon as it shut. Charlie could hear her from the other side. He wanted to run back in there and beg her to forgive him. He wanted to back in there and tell her that he would wait for her. But Charlie knew it was best if he didn’t; if he left it at this. Taylor curled up on her bed, forgetting about packing. She cried until she fell asleep. It felt like she truly lost everything.



Charlie put his head in hands. What did he just do? He just walked away from the love of his life. He was just letting her go. Charlie was given a chance to stop her but it blew it. If was given the chance the first time, there would be no second time. He and Taylor would probably have been married by now. Sighing, he thought what would of happened if she had never left.

Charlie was all dressed up. He was wearing a tux and everything. It was the day of the rest of his life. Sure, they had said the same thing at graduation but this was really it. He walked up to Taylor’s door, butterflies filling his stomach. He waited for her father to answer after he knocked.

“Charlie,” Taylor’s father said. “I have something to tell you, son.”

“Ok,” Charlie said, furrowing his brows in confusion. “What is it about?”

“Taylor.” His voice had sympathy in it.

“What about Taylor?” Charlie’s voice had an edge to it.

“She left for New York. Right after graduation. She won’t be coming back anytime soon.”

“What do you mean she left?”

“She moved there.”

“No, this can’t be happening. Did Taylor set you up to this?” Charlie shook his head.

“I’m sorry, son. You were the right guy for her. But she needed to find herself.” Taylor’s father placed a comforting hand on Charlie’s shoulder before going inside.

Charlie walked home numb, knowing that the girls would be there. He dreaded the questions that would be waiting for them. The black velvet box in his pocket seemed to get heavier by each step. Charlie almost took at out of his pocket and threw it in the pond. Let Taylor find when she comes back, he thought, if she ever does come back.

“Charlie, you’re home early,” Tricia said, noticing him as he walked through the door.

“What happened? Did you ask her early? Where is the bride to be?” Amber asked, looking around him. The words bride to be made him cringe.

“She left,” Charlie said as he sat down.

“What do you mean she left? She left the date?” Jackie asked, trying to figure it out.

“No, she moved to New York. Right after graduation.” Charlie looked up at all them. They gasped when they saw him crying.

“Oh, Charlie,” Anna said, throwing Charlie into a hug.

As Charlie sat there crying and listening to the girls’ comforting words, Charlie realized he didn’t have anything anymore. Without Taylor, life seemed not worth to live. He needed her. She was his everything.


Charlie looked up, trying to figure out if what had just happen was a dream. More like a nightmare. He groaned, knowing he lost everything that meant something to him. He had her back. He was happy. But Taylor had to leave. She had a life back in New York. He didn’t what to believe it. He needed comfort so he called the only person he felt like would give to him. Even if it was fake.
♠ ♠ ♠
bad news. there's only two more chapters left and then the story is done. I know. It's sad. :(
comments make me happy.
enjoy. :)