Status: completed!

Remember the Old Days?

You're Always Saving Me

It has been a week since Warped Tour. Taylor had been spending more time with Charlie since then. Sometimes they did hang out with Tricia and the girls, but it was mostly just them. Taylor didn’t know why. Charlie just wanted to hang out with her every chance he got. She didn’t mind it. Taylor missed him more than anything. Charlie and Taylor were now sitting on a bench, eating ice cream. It was just another day.

“You have ice cream on your nose, Tay,” Charlie said, laughing.

“Well get it off,” Taylor screeched.

Charlie laughed even more and grabbed a napkin. Taylor made a face as he wiped it off. Charlie just smiled, remembering when they did this all the time.

“So when do you go back to New York?” Charlie asked the dreaded question.

“In a month,” Taylor mumbled.

“That sucks. I was getting used to having you here.” Charlie smiled at Taylor.

Taylor smiled back at him. It seemed like déjà vu, sitting here eating ice cream with Charlie.

“Hey,” Taylor screamed. “Paws off. This is mine!”

Charlie laughed as he tried to take his girlfriend’s ice cream cone. Taylor was smiling even though she was trying to sound mad. They did this every Friday after school. It was a good way to chill out after a hard week of school.

“Oh come on, Tay. Just a bite,” Charlie whined with a puppy dog look on his face.

“Nope. Mine.” She shook her head.

He stuck out his lip even more, trying to get Taylor to cave in. She just laughed and continued to eat her ice cream. Charlie reached over and took a bite out of her ice cream when Taylor wasn’t looking. She gasped, acting all hurt that he just did that and then laughed at him having ice cream on his nose. Charlie looked at the red head confused.

“You have ice cream on your nose, babe,” Taylor said, still laughing.

“Well then get it off,” Charlie simply said.

Taylor leaned over and licked it off. Charlie’s face scrunched up in disgust.

“You didn’t have to lick it off,” he screeched, making Taylor laugh harder.

“I can’t believe we’re going to graduate in a month. High school will be over,” Taylor said, breathlessly.

“I know. We’ll be going on our different ways. Isn’t weird that we’re not going to be together anymore?” Charlie asked.

“Yeah, it is.”

“What’s wrong, Tay?” Charlie turned to his girlfriend.

“Nothing.” She shook her head.

“No, it’s something. I can see it your eyes.”

“It’s just that you’re going to UGA. Amber and the girls are going to Georgia Southern. And Tricia is going to Clemson. I’m staying here. The one thing I didn’t want to do.”

“Then come with me. I could get an apartment. We can live together. I bet you can find a photographer job around there. Then we will never have to be apart.”

Taylor laughed, pulling Charlie’s face in for a kiss.

“You are too sweet. But I feel like I would be holding you back. I can’t do that to you. I love you too much,” Taylor said, smiling.

“I love you, too. And that’s why I want you to come. Please, come. I want to be with you not matter what. It’s going to kill me when I leave without you.”

“What did I do to deserve you?”

“Just being yourself.” Taylor smiled, kissing Charlie again.

“You’re not going to leave me for any college girls, are ya?” Taylor asked, jokily.

“Never. You’re the only one for me, Taylor. I said once and I’ll say it again. I could never love anyone other than you.” Charlie pulled Taylor into another kiss. They pulled apart, smiling.


Taylor sighed when she thought back to that day. She wished that she went and lived with Charlie. They would still be together. She wouldn’t have regretted a thing, like she was doing now. Charlie smiled at the memory of that day. He wanted Taylor to move in with him. He only wished that she did. Then he would have met Carly and would not be regretting being with her.

“Are you thinking about the same day I am?” Taylor whispered.

“If you’re thinking about the day I asked you to live with me when I went to UGA, then yeah,”
Charlie responded, turning to look at Taylor. She nodded.

“It’s weird how much things changed in two years.”

“Yeah and how much one thing can change everything,” Charlie said under his breath. Taylor heard it and was a little hurt but understood why he said it.

“I’m sorry I left. It was a stupid thing.” Taylor looked down at her shoes.

“It’s okay, Taylor. I understand that you wanted to leave. You were following your dreams. I’m proud of you for doing so.”

Taylor smiled. It made her feel better that he felt that way.

“Thanks,” was all she said.

“You’re welcome,” Charlie replied.



Two hours later, Charlie and Taylor were sitting on her couch, watching their favorite movies. A bowl of popcorn sat between them as they laughed at the cheesy movie playing on TV in front of them. They didn’t feel like going anywhere so they decided to watch some movies. Taylor and Charlie were getting into the movie.

“Hey Taylor! Your life just got better,” Amber screamed as she flung Taylor’s front door open.
Taylor and Charlie both turned to look at the girl. Taylor raised her eyebrow as Charlie just looked at the girl like she was crazy.

“Hey Charlie, what are you doing here?” Amber asked as she walked into the house, revealing the girls behind her.

“Haven’t you noticed, Amber? They’ve been hanging out nonstop for the past week,” Anna said.

“No I haven’t actually.” Amber moved the popcorn bowl and plopped herself between Charlie and Taylor. Charlie glared at Amber while Taylor laughed. “Why have y’all been hanging out? What about Carly, Charlie? When’s the last time you’ve seen her?”

“At the café,” Charlie mumbled. Taylor looked over at him in shocked. It’s been that long.

“Wow, that’s a long time. I bet she’s pissed,” Jackie spoke up. The girls nodded in agreement.

“Taylor, do you have anyone special back in New York?” Anna asked.

All eyes were Taylor. She could feel them burning a hole in her. She hated this feeling.

“No, I never dated in New York,” Taylor mumbled, feeling as bad as Charlie did when he asked the question.

“Really?’ Amber squeaked. Taylor nodded, looking down at her feet. “Why not?”

“No one really stood out to me,” Taylor answered. No one was Charlie, she thought to herself.

“Well, that stinks. You need a man,” Amber said, shaking her head. “And we’re going to find you one.”

Charlie glared at Amber. She noticed and gave him a questioning glance. Taylor had a horrified look on her face. Tricia saw it, knowing that Taylor and Charlie still looked each other. They just didn’t know it yet.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Tricia spoke up.

“Why not?” Amber whined.

“I don’t think Taylor wants to.” Taylor looked at her friend, thanking her silently.

Amber looked over to Taylor, seeing her worried face. Amber just shook her head, not understanding why Taylor wouldn’t want to date. No one talked, all you could hear was the movie still playing.

“So what should we do today?” Jackie spoke up.

“Going to the mall?” Amber asked. Taylor shook her head knowing she was going to say that.

“Amber, you’ve already gone three times this week,” Tricia said with her hands on her hips.

“So?” Amber copied Tricia.

“We could go see a movie,” Anna spoke up.

“Nah, Taylor and I have been watching movies all day,” Charlie said, shaking his head.

“Oh! I know,” Amber screamed, causing everyone to look at her. “Let’s go downtown and hit up the clubs.” Amber got up and danced around the living room while everyone laughed.

“That’s a perfect idea,” Jackie and Anna screamed while the others groaned.

“Well then I guess it’s settled. We’re going clubbing,” Amber said, throwing her hands up. “Everyone, go home and get ready. Meet up at the pond in an hour.” She ran out the door grabbing Tricia and Jackie’s hand. Anna followed.

“Well looks like we need to go get ready,” Taylor said to Charlie, laughing.



The music hit their ears as soon as they all walked in. Amber had heard that this was the best club in town and demanded that they go there. The lights were flashing and people were dancing everywhere. Amber, Anna, and Jackie absorbed everything, walking in different directions.

“I need a drink,” Tricia said, walking over to the bar.

“We’ll go with you,” Taylor said, grabbing Charlie’s wrist.

Not long after they got to the bar Tricia was asked to dance, leaving Taylor and Charlie in an awkward silence. Taylor and Charlie sipped their beers, watching their friends dancing like fools. Taylor laughed, making Charlie smiled. He always loved her laugh. It was like music to his ears.

“Hey sweetheart. Wanna dance?” a drunk guy asked Taylor. He almost fell over walking toward her.

“Nah, I’m good,” Taylor replied, laughing at his drunken state.

“Ah, come on. You know you want to.” The guy wrapped his arm around Taylor’s shoulders. Charlie balled up his fist.

“I don’t want to.” Taylor shrugged off his arm.

“Don’t be a tease.” The guy grabbed Taylor’s hips. “I want to dance with you.” He started pulling Taylor toward the dance floor.

“Please let go. I don’t want to dance. Especially not with you.” Taylor tried to get out of his grip but it was too strong.

“Look, buddy, she said she didn’t want to dance with you. Let her go,” Charlie said, place a hand on the guy’s shoulder.

“Back off, dude. She’s coming with me,” he said, shrugging Charlie’s hand off.

“I don’t think so.” Charlie grabbed Taylor’s arm, pulling him from the drunken guy’s grasp.

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing?” the guy screamed.

“Look, just go home. You’re drunk.” Taylor was now behind Charlie, who was trying to calm the guy down with no such luck.

“No, I want her to dance with me. Just give her back to me.” The guy reached around Charlie to get to Taylor but Charlie stopped him. “We have a problem now.” The guy raised his fist, trying to punch Charlie but stumbled and missed. Charlie grabbed his fist and punched the guy instead.

“Come on, Taylor,” Charlie said, dragging Taylor away from the bar.

“Thanks Charlie,” Taylor said, after they were far enough from the bar.

“You’re welcome, Taylor.” He smiled.

“How come you’re always saving me?” Charlie laughed, remembering the first time he saved her.

Taylor stood at her locker, looking for the books she needed for homework. She had her head in her locker. She didn’t even see Evan come up beside her. Evan was known as the popular guy in their 9th grade class. He had a smirk on his face. He was there to get Taylor.

“Hey, Taylor,” He said, slyly.

She turned around startled. “Oh hey, Evan. You scared me,” Taylor said, wanting to get away.
“I didn’t mean to. I was thinking we could hang out. You know the field by Wal-Mart.” Taylor swallowed hard.

“I have things to do. Sorry.” Taylor knew what he did with girls there. She didn’t want any part of it.

“Oh come on, Taylor. It will be fun.” Evan grabbed her hand, pulling her closer to him.

“I really don’t have time.” She tried to pull away from them.

“Oh I think you should make time for me,” he whispered in her ear. “We’ll have some fun of our own.”

Charlie was walking down the hallway when he saw Evan harassing Taylor. He and Taylor had been friends since 4th grade. He had developed a crush on her. He saw Taylor’s worried face as Evan pulled her closer. Charlie saw how her face turned into disgust when he whispered something in her ear.

“Evan, please let go. I don’t want to go with you,” Charlie heard Taylor say. She was begging Evan.

Charlie watched as Evan pulled her along with him. He made his way toward the door with Taylor in tow. Charlie had had enough of it. He stepped right in front of Evan, stopping him in his tracks. He could see Taylor face mixed with relief that Charlie was there but also worry for him, too.

“Let her go, Evan. Didn’t you hear her she doesn’t want to go with you?” Charlie said, strongly.

“Oh shut up, Charlie. This is none of your business,” Evan said, pushing Charlie out of the way.

“Actually it is. Just let her go.” Charlie grabbed Taylor’s arm.

“No,” was all Evan said. It pushed Charlie over the edge.

Charlie raised his fist and punch Evan in the face. He fell down on contact. Taylor just stood there shocked that Charlie had just down that. She never saw him so angry. Charlie grabbed Taylor’s arm, pulling her out of the school.

“You idiot. I will get you back,” they heard Evan say as they ran away from the school.

“Ok, I think we’re safe,” Charlie said breathlessly as they reached the pond. Taylor nodded. “Let’s hang out here for awhile. I don’t want to go home yet.” He pulled Taylor over to sit by him.

“Thanks,” Taylor said, leaning her head on his shoulder.

“You’re welcome.” Charlie paused for a moment before speaking, “Hey can I ask you something?” He turned to Taylor.

“Of course, ask me anything.”

“I was thinking that if you want to,” he stopped to look up at Taylor, who nodded in encouragement. Charlie scratched the back of his neck, nervously. “We could go out sometime, like on a date.”

“I would love to, Charlie,” Taylor said smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments make me happy.