No More Repeats

Things Don't Always Go the Way We Plan

The funeral was extremely sad, and the turnout was really small on such short notice. Gerard pulled me away from Brooke to talk to me alone. We're taking a walk around the cemetery.

"Katy, what exactly happened at the altar last year?" He asks.

"Gerard..." I started. He gave me a look that said, 'You have to talk about it sooner or later.'

"I thought I loved Drew more than you at the time, and I did what I thought was right. I ran away with him." I said, hoping he wouldn't pick up on the fact that I hadn't told him everything.

"AND?" He says, raising an eyebrow at me.

"And I was wrong. A couple of weeks after we arrived in New York, he left me for Europe. His parents had arranged his marriage to a girl in London. I was really upset, and I wasn't ready to come back to everyone, if I was even coming back. I was really embarassed about what I'd done to you, and I wasn't sure how I felt anymore. I waited a whole year to contact Brooke, and when I did, I knew what I wanted to do. I knew that I had to go back, and learn to face my fears once and for all." I say, sitting down on a bench. Gerard's face looks a little shocked.

"Wow.. That's quite some explanation." He says, staring into space. I start to cry, because I know that he'll never forgive me completely.

"Katy... Do.. you love me?" He asks. His question takes me by surprise.

"Yes." I whisper, because my voice is cracking from crying so hard. He puts his arm around me and holds me tight.

"I guess things didn't go the way either of us planned." He says, releasing me.

"What do you mean?" I ask, gathering myself back up.

"Well, first we planned to get married, and everything was set, but you bailed. Second, your plan to be with what's his face forever didn't work out. AND, my plan to never forgive you and never love you again.... it failed." He says, getting down in front of me.

"No more repeats?" He asks, pulling a ring out of his pocket. My heart beat speeds up.

"No more repeats." I say. He slides the ring on my finger, pulls me close, and kisses me.