Status: ACTIVE :D

Floating Upon This Surface

The Decision

Sophia, awoke to Lucas’s big blue eyes staring intently into hers, causing her to gasp at how close he was.

“Dios mio, Lucas, don’t scare me like that,” she whispered pulling back the covers and letting him slide into bed beside her. His small body curled close to hers, her arms falling around him, cradling him. A light snore came from beside her, and she smiled softly against Lucas’s blonde hair. She watched the sunlight fliter through the blinds onto the blue walls of Sergio’s room. It was the only thing that had remained the same in the past five years. She could close her eyes and be 19 again. Close her eyes and see herself lying in this exact bed, with Sergio’s hands around her waist, his hot skin pressed against hers. Their love had been so innocent, she had been so naïve…Perhaps if she had opened her eyes, perhaps if she had been smarter, she would’ve seen the small changes in him and saved herself in time. But looking down at the small child curled against her, sucking his thumb gently, she had no regrets. None at all.

Sophia felt as Sergio shifted his body towards her, and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to him. She felt his hot breath against her neck, and his fingers crawl up her side.

“Buenos dias,” he murmured gently kissing her neck, and lifting his face to meet hers.

“Buenos dias,” she replied softly, turning her face to kiss him lightly. He smiled against her lips and kissed her forehead lovingly. He pushed himself up, leaning forward to see a sleeping Lucas beside her. He grinned in awe, of how his son curled close to his mother. His fingers intertwined with hers, his thumb pressed against his mouth, sucking it softly as he slept.

“And when did this little boy, make his way over?” he asked lightheartedly, tracing his sons face gently.

“This morning. He does it all the time. Manuel used…”Sophia stopped herself, her eyes darting from Lucas, to Sergio’s perplexed complexion, “Manuel.”

“What about him?”

“What am I going to tell him? What am I going to do with him Sergio?”

“You’re going to tell him the truth of course. Tell him that its my turn to take care of my family. That I now want to take care of you both, and he’s no longer needed.”

“It’s not that easy…”she sighed, turning away from him, “I wish it was, but it isn’t.”

“Do you want me to tell him?” he asked. “I can go today, and we could take all your belongings and-”
“And do what?”

“Take them to Madrid of course.”

Sophia, looked at him, her head shaking in a disapproving manner.

“Sergio, this isn’t realistic.”

“And why not? What? Do you not want to go to Madrid with me? Do you not want me?”

“Sergio, no es eso, just think about this. Look at the big picture, Manuel isn’t someone you can just dismiss and thank for their services, he’s a person Sergio, just like Crisitina is a person. And I don’t think she’ll like being deserted, and replaced in a matter of twenty-four hours, nor would Manuel like that at all. In fact, that’s exactly why Lucas and I ended in that situation last night. Because he’s afraid of me leaving him. I’m- she looked down at Lucas- we’re all he has in the world.”
Sergio sighed, and laid back down beside her. He buried his face in her warm brown hair.

“What do you want to do then?”

▲▼

Manuel sat at the dinning table, coffee in hand, his eyes focused on the small speaks of dirty scattered on the floor; the doings of Lucas and his muddy cleats. It was 7:30 AM, he had another hour to lounge around the empty house before he had to leave for work. The house was silent, no longer occupied, with Sophia’s fluid body bustling back and fourth, her voice rising and expanding to each corner of the house, threatening Lucas to a spanking if he wasn’t dressed and down in his seat in five minutes. The commotions of the house, which would make him smile and lighten his day where missing this morning. His usual routine was put off, and it was in the quiet morning, that he realized. He couldn’t lose Sophia and Lucas, no matter what.
Manuel finished the rest of his coffee and made his way to the kitchen sink. He turned the faucet on when he heard a car pull into the drive way. He dried his hands on the dishtowel beside the sink and went to open the front door, his heart racing in his chest. He gripped the door and swung it open, his eyes widening at the sight of Sophia, and his smile faltering at the sight of Sergio beside her. His hand securely around her waist. Her long hair was down against her shoulders, her bangs covering her face, and her eyes looking everywhere but him.

“Sophia.” Manuel, called out softly, “you had me worried.”

“You shouldn’t have,” Sergio replied, “She was perfectly safe with me”.
Manuel, glared at the pompous individual, his hands clenching into fists.

“Manuel, I-”


“We have to talk,” Sergio cut. Sergio’s eyes traveling from Sophia to Manuel’s.


“I have nothing to talk to you about.”


“On the contrary Manuel, we have everything to talk about.”


Manuel squinted, his eyes focused on Sergio, and then to his hand securely wrapped around Sophia’s. His anger budded until finally it was acid in his throat.


“YOU’RE A FUCKING SLUT.”
Sophia stood there stunned. The words still processing in her mind. When suddenly Sergio’s fist flew into Manuel’s face.


“DONT YOU DARE TALK TO HER LIKE THAT! EVER”


Before Sophia knew it, she was caught in between a fight. Manuel and Sergio bracing each other back and forth, within the front door. Fist colliding with skin, drawing blood and sweat. She watched in agony as they bruised each other.


“STOP!” she yelled in despair, her hands trying to pull them apart in vain. She caught hold of Sergio’s waist and held him back from Manuel


“Stop this right now! Both of you!”

“How the fuck can you leave me?” Manuel yelled. His eyes red from crying, he was breaking down in front of her, groveling at her feet.


“Manuel,” she sighed, her voice threatening to crack, “Please get up.”


“I dont understand,” Manuel continued, “what did i do wrong?”


 “You didn’t do anything wrong.” Sergio spat.


“Este hijo de puta!”


“Manuel Por Favor!” Sophia hissed.

“Can’t you see this is hard for me too?” 


“How hard can it be?” Manuel replied.


“Dios Santo Manuel.” Sophia murmured, “it’s hard Manuel. I love you both. But you must understand, I cannot be with you.”


“This is a mistake Sophia.” Manuel replied, “You’re throwing away your happiness. I wanted to marry you. I wanted to give you my name, to love you forever. We were happy weren’t we? We were happy here in our home, raising Lucas, laughing at his little mistakes. Don’t you remember his first christmas? How much we laughed?”


Sophia, stood up, and dusted her knees. “I do.” she said solemnly, her eyes glued to the floorboards. “But I also remember the good times I had with Sergio.”


“You’re gonna regret this Sophia.” 
 Sophia, nodded slowly, walking away. She smiled weakly at Sergio, her eyes rimmed with tears.