Status: Hiatus--Last Update was 7.23.12 (Chapter Twenty-Two PREVIEW)

Love in Ice

Eighteen

Image

Watching the buildings pass by quickly did not comfort me. It had the opposite effect on me, and I was very uneasy.

A familiar hand slipped under mine, and I peered over to the man sitting next to me. Nemo's gray hues held both the calm side and the worried. After a moment of eye contact, his lips touched my cheek gently, lingering in a way that comforted me. Still, denying the fact that my heart fluttered would have been futile.

I met his eyes again, squeezing his hand lightly. Nemo did the same with a small smile, and I took a deep breath. Ben drove as fast as he could within the speed limit, Sam in the seat next to him with her cell phone to her ear. It was finally happening.

Riles was alive, and we were going to get him back. I was going to have my dog back. I unconsciously smiled a little, placing my head on Nemo's shoulder. The man next to me squeezed my hand again, his thumb running across the skin. I focused on his even breathing as we drove on in Sam's car, heading toward a house in Joliet.

In just over forty-five minutes, he pulled up to a one-story house that seemed to be abandoned. After a silent moment, I could hear some barking within the little house. We watched from across the street for activity, but there was not any for several minutes. I recalled the events that happened after Nemo told us the news, tearing up slightly.

Move.

Alex, you need to move.

Even with all the urging from my mind, I barely understood the concept of standing up.

Hell, the word 'react' was not processing in my mind.

I released an instinctively-held breath and staggered to a stand. Nemo helped me, holding my hand as I became steady.

"I need to check the answering machine," I whispered out, and I speed-walked to the machine. There was a flickering 1, meaning there was a new message. I pressed play and impatiently waited for the message to start.

"Hello Ms. Lainasen, this is Detective Stewarts. I wanted to tell you about a couple of things our crime lab found and analyzed. First they found a sample of blood and although it was not the best sample, it was determined that it was human blood, not your dog's blood."

I became a little more hopeful at that news; Riles most likely was not fatally wounded. Stewarts' message continued, "The other thing we found was some blond and brown hair samples located found on the torn jersey. The strands led us to one definite suspect..."

The message ended there, and I cried out in frustration. "I have to leave now for that address. I'll have to call the police, too..."


Ben's voice snapped me from my thoughts, "Hey Alex, there's someone coming out of the house. Does he look familiar?"

I peered out the window, scanning the house. The man came out a side door, and I suddenly noticed the flash of blond-and-brown hair with a pang of mixed anger and anguish.

With that, I released Nemo's hand and got out of the car, feeling the bitter cold air biting at my face. My anger rose fast, and I clenched my right hand. It all made sense now...

Sammy interrupted, "Whoa, Alex. You're not going alone, you know that right? I'm coming with you too. I'll take the job of calling the police. We're going to save Riles and any other dogs there."

Nemo grabbed my hand and entwined our fingers together as he said, "You know I'm coming with you, Alex. There's no way these people are getting away with this."

Benny finished, taking Sammy's keys, "I'm driving. We'll get there in no time at all, I promise." He quickly put his coat on and jogged out of my apartment, probably to go start the car.

The three of us also shrugged on our jackets, hurrying out within seconds. I locked up my apartment, joining them in the car. I realized with a flash of gratitude that they all were all willing to help me. I could not have asked for better friends.


I blinked away any tears wanting to escape, walking faster to the tall man standing outside the house. He turned around, eyes wide in realization. His mouth opened to say something to me, but I was faster.

With my fist.

One hit and he was on the ground, hand covering his nose. I shouted, ignoring the quiet nature of the neighborhood, "Who the fuck do you think you are, Vance? I bet you were stalking me back at the shelter, just waiting until the right time for you to introduce yourself, huh? Then by some chance you knew I was going to Pittsburgh, and you found the perfect opportunity."

He stumbled to a stand, and he lunged at me. I dodged, sticking out my foot so he lost his balance. I struck him in the back with an elbow, and Vance was out of breath.

"When you met me, you had every intention of meeting me again back in Chicago. Using your knowledge of me and hockey--probably from visiting the shelter before--you laid down your ground. And when we came back, you swooped in for the kill. Trying to play my love for animals, you 'adopted' a dog or two at the shelter. You learned about my dog Riles, and it was just an invitation to take him after that date, especially when you knew where my apartment was.

"You son of a bitch. You may tear up my apartment, but take my dog and you're fucking in trouble. Looks like Riles bit you pretty good, Raston. You aren't so good in cleaning up all the evidence, and I can see those bite marks on your hand." With that last remark, he clenched his hand, attempting to cover up the wounds.

I heard sirens, and a couple of cops whizzed past us. They beat down the front door, and I could hear struggling. A few other cops arrested the dirt on the ground, and one of them pointed out, "Wow, you did a number on this douche."

I responded with bitterness, "Just get him out of my sight." I walked up to Vance, who struggled in their grasps. I hissed, glaring at him, "Hope you and all your other friends rot in the hell you deserve."

Raston was taken away and put in the back of the squad car, and I turned around to see my three friends watching the scene unfold. The police officers that previously went in came out with two other guys that I did not recognize but still fit the scum ranks. I noticed Detective Juarez and Detective Stewarts emerging from the house who both nodded in my direction. I walked towards them with slightly shaky legs, expecting the worst. I was joined with not only my friends but also an animal control officer.

The two detectives led us to the basement where there were many cages scattered around the room. I scanned the room, noticing how Lily and Oreo were both here. Oreo sniffed the little puppy beside him, nudging her with his muzzle. To my relief, her eyes slowly opened, and she whimpered. The border collie-chow chow mix sat himself protectively next to her, and I smiled lightly.

Five cages over, I found a little bundle of brown fur, cowering in a corner of his cage. My eyes stung with hot tears, and it took all that I had to fall in front of his cage and cry. It would have frightened him even more. What exactly happened to him?

Detective Juarez said to me, "Animal Control will have to take him for a little while, just to make sure he's not hurt or dangerous to you or anyone else. Is that okay with you?"

I peered at my little puppy, who flickered his eyes over to me. Riles was underfed, probably dehydrated, and barely wagging his tail. I was almost certain, stomach dropping, that he was not at all healthy. With tears blurring my vision, I nodded my head solemnly. "Don't worry Riles, you'll be all better soon. You'll be home with me in a few days."

He gave a shaky, weak yelp in response. I walked out of the room with Nemo, Sammy, and Ben and shortly after that, I ran out of the house. I refused to let them see me crying. The tears I held in escaped as I headed for the car, and they continued flowing, even when I felt strong arms wrap around me from behind.

I whispered, "Oh Nemo...Riles...He..." All I could do at that point was let the tears fall. Nemo held me against his chest, chin perched on my head. I slowly melted into his hug, and he whispered, "He's okay, Alex. Riles will be coming home soon. Remember this: we saved him. It's all over now."

That was all I needed for the tears to stop and to bury my face into his warm upper body. I nuzzled into his thick jacket, forgetting my tear-soaked face, and he kept me close to him, putting a kiss to the top of my head. I looked at the sincerity in his gray eyes, mesmerized by their depths. I slipped my arms around him, taking in the warmth from Nemo and allowing myself to relax against him.

"Thank you, Antti."

No matter how many times I told him that, I could never say that enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hummed to myself as I poured the batter into the pan. I was getting out all the things I needed for making blueberry pancakes. Looking through the fridge, I pulled out the blueberries and the eggs.

I became so absorbed in making the pancakes that I nearly jumped out of my skin when strong arms tugged me into a lean body. A whisper in my ear caused me to shiver, but not necessarily as a result of chills crawling down my spine.

"What are you doing?"

"I...I'm making blueberry pancakes. I thought you were sleeping, you surprised me that much! Uhh...Do you want yours a different way?"

I turned around to meet the Finn's now blue-gray eyes, and breathing became difficult. "No, that's perfect. Sounds delicious." The crooked smile that spread across his face made me smile back. He pressed a kiss to my forehead and said enthusiastically, "Hyvää joulua, Alex! Are you happy that it's Christmas?"

I shook my head affirmatively, and a blush appeared on my face. The way his eyes gleamed told me that he was beyond happy. My smile remained as he kissed my temple and asked, "Do you need any help?"

"Well, so far no, but--"

His playfully stern look made me burst out laughing and I restarted, gingerly putting my hand on his cheek, "If you're so set on helping me out, then you can start off washing the blueberries." Nemo's face became very warm, and I blushed fiercely, realizing what I was doing. I turned around and tried getting out of his grasp around my waist, but he did not let up. Instead I led him to the cabinet to get a bowl, baking soda, and salt for washing the fruit. He kept himself behind me all that time, and I hoped that he had not felt the heat from my burning face.

Nemo washed the blueberries as I made the batter. When I was not looking, a cold, creamy substance was flicked onto my face, making me jump for the second time today. I turned to Nemo, whose "innocent" gaze was fixated on the ceiling instead of my eyes. I swiped a little mix and ran it along his cheek. He landed a couple more on my face while I got him just under his chin and on his cheek. We stopped for the slightest moment, and he leaned in closer. My breath caught in my throat as he stopped right before the tip of our noses touched. Was he...?

The light eyes glinted as he stared into my eyes for a reaction, and he moved away with a barely noticeable smile. I smiled back, laughing at how silly we most likely looked. Nemo's deep laughter filled my ears, making my skin positively tingle.

I managed through hysterical laughter, "I think we should stop. We won't have any for the pancakes!"

He nodded with a mischievous grin, muttering, "Jatkamme tästä joku toinen kerta...*" The wink shortly following that Finnish musing sent my heart racing, and I desperately wanted to know what he said to me.

Half an hour later, we sat together in front of the Christmas tree, eating our pancakes. I continued humming the Christmas song I had stuck in my head earlier. I looked over at Nemo, who watched and listened intently. When I finished humming the chorus, he asked hesitantly, "...What song was that?"

"That was 'Last Christmas'. It's been stuck in my head for a while."

"I'm not sure if I know that one."

"I...I can sing some of it for you."

He nodded, eyes shining in anticipation. I took in a deep breath, preparing myself to sing in front of him. Singing by myself made me nervous.

'Especially in front of Nemo', I thought as my heart beat faster. I exhaled, singing the part of the song I knew.

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away
This year to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special


After singing, I brought my lowered gaze to meet his, and I nearly gasped in surprise. The blue eyes searched my brown ones once again, a blush starting on my face. Nemo took my hand and raised it to his lips, commenting, "Your singing is beautiful."

Nemo's lips on my hand paired with his comment fueled the heat spreading across my face. I looked away with a smile, thanking him in a hushed voice. He suddenly thought of something and said, getting up, "I'll be right back."

He walked off to somewhere behind me while I looked underneath the tree. I found Nemo's present right away, and I pulled it out just as I heard Nemo's footsteps. I turned to him, seeing that he had a wonderfully wrapped box.

"How did you...?"

"I brought your gift with me so I could give it to you when I came back."

I opened my mouth, but he interjected with a smirk on his face, "Before you say anything, I know you'll probably say that I shouldn't have gotten anything for you...But I wanted to."

Nemo sat down in front of me, and we exchanged our gifts. He nodded once over to me, signaling for me to go first. I tore off the wrapping paper and opened the box. I grinned and said, "Aww, thank you! I really needed these."

I ran my hands over the clothes, feeling how soft they were. The pajama pants were red-and-black plaid, and the sweatshirt had the Blackhawks logo along with 'Chicago Blackhawks' in white lettering on the front.

"There's more. Look under the tissue paper," Nemo told me, eyes bright.

I pulled back the tissue paper and gasped. Hidden under the thin sheets were two bracelets. The first bracelet was silver and had many charms on it. I lifted this up to examine all the charms. What really caught my eye were the two decorative keys and the heart charms, and I ran my fingers over the patterns. Setting down the bracelet, I turned my attention to the second bracelet.

This cuff bracelet had golden flowers with pink accents in the middle. I slipped the bracelet on my left wrist, looking at how beautiful it was. I picked up the silver one and unhooked it. After a few failed attempts, I asked the man across from me to clip it together. He took the ends and wrapped it around my wrist, and I felt my skin tickle as his fingers lightly grazed it. He was more successful at his attempt, and I quickly moved over to him, embracing him snugly.

"They're beautiful Antti! Kiitos paljon**," I gushed, pressing a kiss on his cheek. Color rushed to his skin, and his lips turned upwards in a smile. Nemo's accent thickened his voice as he said, "You're welcome, Alex."

"Go ahead and open your present."

He picked up the present, putting it to his ear with a laugh. I giggled at his silliness, and he opened his gift. Nemo pulled out the onyx-colored watch I bought him, shock evident in his eyes. "You...Alex, you actually...bought this for me."

"It was no trouble, really. I remembered that one time we were talking over the phone, and you told me how you were thinking about getting a new watch. I thought you might have liked this one the best."

He nodded, putting the watch around his right wrist. He eyed it for a few moments before looking through the box, finding the gray button-down shirt and the two ties I also bought him. One tie was deep navy blue and the other gray, colors that were sure to bring out his breathtaking eyes.

Nemo scooted closer to me, sliding his arms around me for another hug. "I love my presents, thank you." He buried his face into the crook of my neck, and I tensed before relaxing. Then he rubbed his face along my neck and shoulder, a way of tickling me. It looked like he truly discovered a new characteristic about me: I was very ticklish.

Nemo continued his nudging, and I involuntarily giggled. Add the stubble along his chin and jawbones, and I all but kept still in his hold. I blushed fairly quick, and when he stopped, I hid my face in his shoulder. He knew just what to do to make me squirm.

"Olet niin pehmeä ja pehmoinen,***" he trailed off, leaving me guessing on what he said. I raised my eyebrow in question, hoping I would get a translation, but he shook his head, color building on the bridge of his nose. Even his ears were turning a bit red.

"I'm going to go get my camera!" I sprinted to my room and retrieved it from my nightstand, running back to Nemo. He was setting the time on his watch, and as I sat next to him, he turned his gaze towards me. I held the camera at arm's length as it turned on, getting closer to my friend. He tugged me until I was flush against his side, and I tried hard not to blush. "Ready? Smile!"

I pressed the button, snapping a picture. We eagerly watched as it appeared on the screen, and I squealed, "Aww, that was a cute one! Let's take a few more!"

Nemo nodded, chuckling at my elation. I readied the camera again, and he secured my body next to him. I began counting to three. When I was on two, Nemo turned his face in my direction and pecked my cheek, staying put. I was stunned, capturing the moment before I could stop myself. He pulled away from my cheek to see the picture I took. Nemo pointed out with a chuckle, "You look so surprised, it's adorable."

My heart sped up a little, and once again my face got warm. That was now how many times today?

I let the thought go, poising the camera for one more picture. This time when I got to two, I leaned up and placed another kiss on his cheek. I caught that moment, and I waited for the picture to come up. When it did, my heart swelled. I had no doubt that my face matched the red sweatshirt I received.

After I had put my lips on his cheek, his gaze redirected to me. Nemo's entire expression was soft, especially prominent in his eyes and mouth. The brightness of his eyes were emphasized, thanks to the complimentary full smile, and heat spread from my face to my ears. My friend murmured, "That's a great picture. Don't delete it."

"I won't." I managed that out with a release of air. I was holding my breath the whole time I was making observations from the picture. Strange.

I continued, the color from my face not draining, "I love how that picture turned out."

"Yeah, me too," Nemo agreed, grabbing my hand. Every time he did that, I noticed, my skin became warm. I was also...very happy about the simple gesture. It never went away.

And as I looked into his light blue eyes, I did not think I would ever stop feeling that...

That warmth...

That happiness...

Was I really in love with Antti Niemi?

Was I willing to break past that apprehensiveness of completely giving away my trust?

My heart ached as I remembered the words Sam told me yesterday. I was torn between two different viewpoints, but her words stimulated the same hope that made me feel something between Nemo and I could work.

"...Out of all the guys you know, he's the most trustworthy and he's not one to hurt people."
♠ ♠ ♠
*Jatkamme tästä joku toinen kerta...--->We'll continue this later...
**kiitos paljon--->Thank you so much.
***Olet niin pehmeä ja pehmoinen.--->You're so soft and cuddly.

Alex's Gifts

Hello again readers! I got 13 reads on just the preview, and I got two comments, so I finished the chapter! Thank you so much for your input. I'm so excited to continue writing this story, but I'll be pretty busy, especially when finals come around. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this update! It does have rather cute moments, doesn't it? Believe me, I had so many other cute ideas for this chapter, but I decided to save them for future chapters. ;) Comments are very much appreciated! Happy New Year's Eve's...Eve!