Status: Ended. Go check out the rewritten, original fiction version. Link is in the summary!

What Do You Want From Me?

Misery Business

I'm not gonna leave you alone until you tell me what the fuck is going on.

He practically stabbed the send key on his phone and slammed it down in front of him. Two pairs of sympathetic eyes looked on, as the biggest of the three growled and continued to suck mercilessly on his cancer stick.

In all reality, Matt Sanders was absolutely, positively, one hundred percent against the distribution and use of cigarettes. He truly couldn't understand how they were legal, while all the wonderful drugs like marijuana were shunned upon. The majority of his friends were smokers, including Brian and Zack, but he could just never get into them. The smell was awful, and the taste even worse. Yet, when it came to times like these; where he was beyond stressed out and on the edge of literally exploding, he found himself stealing a few from his two best friends. Later on, he'd yell at himself for it, but for now, it was intensely relaxing.

His cellular device began to vibrate for the umpteenth time that day, and Matt quickly picked it up to read the newest text received

It's not my business, man! I feel bad enough as it is here because I honestly like you and know you'd be good for her. But if she finds out we're talking about her behind her back, it'll mean even more trouble, and she doesn't need that. I'll try my best to see what's going on and I'll let you know.

Matt growled again and set his cigarette down in the ash tray. He pressed respond, and angrily typed out a new message.

We wouldn't have to be talking about her behind her back if she'd just talk to me directly! Jesus, man. This is so crazy. Last week, we were hanging out and literally on the brink of a relationship. And now... Jimmy, just please find out what you can. I'm not asking much. If you can just let me know what's going on, I promise I'll drop it. If she doesn't want me in her life anymore, I'll leave her alone. I just need to know.

"God!" The hazel-eyed man finally said. "I don't understand what the big damn deal is. Just tell me; it's as easy as that."

The same sympathetic eyes looked on, only now, they shifted a bit in confusion. Matt hadn't really said a word the whole time the three of them were together; he just sat there, texted, and smoked. They both had it in mind that something needed to be done, because sitting there for hours on end; angry, depressed, and totally clueless; just wasn't healthy for anyone, especially someone like Matt.

"Wh-what did he say?" The youngest of the three voiced softly.

"He won't fucking tell me anything," Matt replied. "Like I'm some complete outsider or something. And I mean, yeah, I understand if that's what he thinks, but I've been the one taking care of her and watching out for her when no one else was around to. I deserve to know!"

"You do," Brian said now. "Of course you do. But--"

"Like, what the fuck is going on? This sucks balls."

"It does," Zack said. "But I think--"

"And this cigarette is fucking nasty as hell and I'm still smoking it. There's something seriously wrong with me here, guys."

"There's nothing wrong with you. Now would you please shut up?" Brian exclaimed, causing Matt to jump slightly. "We're trying to say something to you, man."

"Spit it out then," Matt ordered.

"Well," Zack began a little apprehensively. It was hardly the easiest thing in the world to talk to Matt when he was in one of his moods, but the two men on the other end of his rage knew something had to give. "You should know she's gotta come back to school sometime, bro. I mean, if my parents never let me drop out or just simply not go, I doubt a richie's parents would."

"Exactly," Brian concurred. "And when she does return, you can see what's going on then. But for right now, you gotta stop this. You're driving yourself crazy and it's not doing you any good whatsoever."

Matt sighed, rubbing at both of his temples furiously. They were right, and he knew this for a fact, but he just hated admitting it.

"I know," He relented. "I get it. You guys are right. It's easier said than done, though."

"So just set your phone aside, lay down, and try to sleep. It's already 12 and I think you should get some rest."

"All right. I haven't listened to either of you yet, so I guess I don't have anything to lose by starting now, right?"

"Yep!" Zack exclaimed happily. "And I'm in the mood to cuddle so Bri and me will lay down, too."

Brian took a drag of his cigarette, before quirking a brow at his boyfriend in a way that seemed to say, 'I don't remember agreeing to that'. He thought about it for a moment, though, and ultimately agreed.

"I guess I'll see you guys in the morning, then," Matt said.

He moved from the bed and down to the little nest he'd slept on so many times before; made of simply a bunch of soft blankets, pillows, and plush carpeting. It was devastatingly comfortable, and even though he had a bed of his own at his house, he'd willingly admit Brian or Zack's house was where he'd rather be.

Hooking his phone up to the charger, Matt lay back down against his makeshift bed. He watched as Brian put out what was left of his cigarette, and then reached over to click off the light.

"G'night, Matty!" Zack squeeked, and Matt wondered how in the world his best friend could be that chipper when he, himself, wanted to strangle someone.

"Night Zack," He replied, somewhat grinning anyway. "Night Bri."

"Night."

~*~


Keep a lookout today. That's all I'm going to say right now. Just...keep a lookout.

He read it over for the umpteenth time that morning. It was what he awoke to; a text message from none other than Jimmy Sullivan. Short, sweet, and to the point; but Matt pretty much understood what the other had meant.

He hadn't responded, because at the time he was still half asleep and engaging in a full on conversation with another human being seemed like way too much effort. Instead, he did exactly what the other had said.

Without very much to go on and little faith, Matt went through the day just like he would any other. Classes, work, dirty looks from his peers; same old, same old.

'Maybe he's just trying to get me off his back.'

It seemed like something the other man would do, so naturally, Matt couldn't help but think it as he sat in his fourth period class and stared off into space. Of course, he didn't know Jimmy too well, and he wasn't usually the type to judge. But everything was changing around him lately, so he supposed that meant his perspective on other people ended up being one of those things.

The lunch bell rang at 11:30, and upon exiting the classroom, he trudged slowly down the hall. Lunch was his favorite period-- because honestly, whose wasn't-- but Matt found himself being indifferent to it lately; and that's how pretty much everything was. He'd go over the notion repeatedly in his head, and scold himself every time for letting his emotions and feelings get to this point, but there was no stopping it; not until everything became resolved like it was supposed to be.

Matt sat down in the very same spot he always did, and right away closed his eyes and let out a heavy sigh. He'd barely gotten any sleep the night before, or pretty much any night since Jessica had mysteriously disappeared from his life. It was pathetic, and Matt knew that for a fact, but admitting such a thing hardly triggered a change.

Shaking his head, Matt reopened his eyes and looked over the yard in front of him. More students were starting to arrive for their lunch period; the majority of them people he either disliked or hadn't taken the time to get to know over his entire fourteen or fifteen years of schooling. He scowled, but continued to watch anyway, just to keep a lookout for Brian and Zack.

"Morons," He muttered, though affectionately, because they were always late.

Just when he was about to give up and begin eating the half-assed lunch he'd shoved into his school bag that morning, something-- or rather someone-- had him stopping dead in his tracks. He gasped a bit, and blinked his eyes repeatedly to ensure what he was seeing was true.

"You're fucking kidding me."

Those were the only words able to be functioned from within, before he pushed himself up and began walking toward the being who'd just entered the lunch yard; the being, who turned out to be the red headed girl he'd been searching out all week.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, this is a long ass chapter. I thought about splitting it up into two parts, but there really wasn't a good enough place in there to end it and start new. I hope you guys don't mind. Long chapters are good sometimes, right?

ANYWAY. Oh snappp. What does this mean?! He spotted her. At school. And she hasn't been returning texts or calls. Doesn't look too good, does it? Well. I guess you'll all have to stay tuned and find out!!! Please do. And please comment and let me know what you think; opinions, thoughts on what's going on, positive/negative views. Any kind of review is a welcome review.

Also, if any of you happened to be a fan of another one of my stories, Have Faith in Me, then you might want to check out my newest creation: Back to December. It's the sequel to HFIN, and I'd love it if some of my readers here would check it out. I really think you'll all like it. If you have time or would like to read something new, pleaseee do.

I love all you beautiful mibbians. ;D

May the Odds Be In Your Favor,

Jess.
xoxo