Status: Ended. Go check out the rewritten, original fiction version. Link is in the summary!

What Do You Want From Me?

Broken

It was going to be a hard day. Jessica Flaherty knew this for a fact. Arguably, it normally was, but she'd never before felt this uneasy about what lie ahead.

It started out just like any other would; the annoying alarm, a smoldering hot shower, small talk with her mother; almost as though nothing at all had happened or changed. She hardly expected anything different, but the notion was still a little sickening.

After completing her normal routine, she walked into the kitchen to find Marlene sifting through her purse. Jessica lowered her head a bit as she walked by and over toward where her book bag sat on the table.

"Good morning," Marlene voiced first. Jessica looked up and forced a smile, before replying the same. "Don't forget to get all your makeup work from every teacher. I've already spoken to your principal and he's made all the necessary arrangements for you to be totally caught up before spring break comes."

"Oh, great," Jessica replied. "I'll do that."

"Good. Also, come straight home after school. No socializing afterward and do not speak about what has gone on in the past week. I know your friends will probably be interested but it will be your responsibility to tell them you're not permitted to talk about it. All anyone needs to know is you were having...personal problems."

Personal problems. Right. Jessica squeezed her eyes shut and swallowed the lump beginning to form in her throat. She desperately just wanted to scream the truth at the top of her lungs: 'My father did this to me! He beat me to a pulp! HE DID THIS!' But, of course, such a thing wasn't going to happen; just like before.

"All right," She replied.

"Now, I have to go to work. Are you sure you'll be okay to drive?"

"I'll be fine, ma. I feel better than ever."

It was quite the lie, considering her body hurt all over, but she didn't want Marlene to know that. The fact that lately the elder woman was starting to act like she generally cared was kind of scaring Jessica a bit, considering that hadn't been the case when things were really bad all those years ago. What was the point in starting to act differently now? Jessica wanted no part of it whatsoever. Marlene had made her bed, repeatedly, and it was much too late to stop sleeping in it.

"I'm glad to hear that, Jessie. I really am." Marlene smiled and Jessica nodded her head a bit. "Please just drive safely, okay? I know you always do anyway but be extra careful today."

"Will do." Jessica picked up her bag and began walking toward the door. "See ya later."

"Bye, hon."

Jessica felt her stomach tighten some at the affectionate word. Hon? This really needed to stop. It was obvious that Marlene felt bad about what had happened to her daughter, but if this was the case, maybe she should have stopped it before it even happened. She was there; standing over her husband as he, in his own words, taught Jessica a lesson. She watched with some sick, twisted fascination. She didn't stop him; she didn't even try to. In a sense, Jessica couldn't help but feel that what Marlene did-- or rather, didn't do-- was somewhat worse than Jeffrey's actions. Then again, comparing one to the other really wasn't necessary, as Jessica had come to realize over the years. They were both equally awful in their own ways.

The red-head fought back tears, as everything suddenly began to run through her head; her parents, Matt, her "friends". Did she even have friends anymore?

"God," Jessica muttered to herself. Leaning over, she switched on the radio and hit the volume button repeatedly so it was literally blaring. Something had to take her mind off of it all; anything...

~*~


It was a constant buzz of nonstop talking and work when Jessica got to school. She'd been told ahead of time to immediately report to the principal's office, which was actually somewhat of a Godsend considering the alternative; having to face all of those questions and wandering eyes and not-so-discreet murmurs. She knew later in the day it would be inevitable, but returning on an easy note was something she was relieved about.

It wasn't until the end of fourth period that things took a turn for the worse. The lunch bell rang at the same time it usually did, and after talking with the teacher and retrieving the work she'd missed, Jessica headed out to her locker. This wasn't a normal occurrence, but carrying around the extra bulk of papers and books didn't sound the least bit appealing, so she was forced to drop it off before heading outside.

Upon getting her locker open, a screechy voice coming from somewhere behind her let Jessica know things were about to get really complicated.

"Ohmigod, Jessie, is that you?!" This was followed by a squeal of fake shock, and Jessica quickly finished with what she was doing and shut the locker door. She didn't turn around right away, but merely took a few deep breaths to calm herself.

"Well, I didn't think we'd see you back here for at least another month or something. What a lovely surprise."

"Thanks," Jessica replied through gritted teeth.

She finally turned and came face-to-face with Jason Kiegan and Isabel Vega. The Joker-esq smiles they were sporting quickly dropped to grimaces once they saw the fading, yellow tinted bruises marking Jessica's body. It was her turn to smile, now.

"Oh, what? No welcome back party?" They said nothing, still just staring. "Hmph. I guess not. Well, see ya around!"

She quickly escaped and began walking toward the lunch yard. She knew they were going to follow; it was common sense. They just seemed to be a bit shocked by Jessica's appearance. She didn't quite understand why, though. What did they think Jeffrey was going to do; scold her and send her to her room? Hardly.

"Jessicaaa," Isabel called after her in a sing-song voice.

The red head pushed through the doors and quickly turned on her heel to face the others. She wasn't going to do this. She wasn't going to go back to the way things were before. Not a fucking chance.

"Stop. Both of you, just stop."

"Stop what?" Jason asked, feigning innocence.

"What the hell is wrong with you two? It's your fault this happened to me! And now you think because my mom and dad are back in control that everything is just gonna go back to the way it was? Well, you're wrong."

Jason grinned; a sinister one that successfully made Jessica very uneasy.

"Well," He started, sucking at his teeth in that annoying way he's done since their earliest days together; usually when things didn't go his way. "I'm sure Jeff and Marlene would just love to know who you're about to be socializing with."

Jessica squinted at him in confusion, before finally noticing both of their eyes were trained elsewhere as they began to back off. Footsteps sounded from behind her, and she instantly knew what was about to happen.

"Jessica..."

The gravelly voice which spoke her name successfully sent a chill down her spine, and Jessica slowly turned to face the man who'd literally saved her life in these past few weeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for the delay! It's been pretty hectic around here lately. I just got done with my medical assistant schooling and now I'm looking for a job. PAIN IN THE ASS. Seriously. But I've been trying to write a little bit every day so I hope you guys don't abandon me! I've just finally POSSIBLY got a job offer so I'm kinda happy about that right now. ^_^.

I'm sorry if this chapter isn't that great. I kinda struggled with it, and I'm kinda struggling with this story altogether. It's like...I know what I wanna do and I have it all planned, but the problem is getting there to that point. I'm having horrible writer's block. So, if anyone wants to help me out or anything, please just inbox me or something with any of your ideas or input. I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks. Also, COMMENT. Even if it's a "omg this chapter sucked!" kind of comment, I'll be happy knowing at least it was read and critiqued. I'd really like an "I LOVE THIS STORY" comment, but I'll take what I can get. :)

I love all you beautiful mibbians. ;D

May the Odds Be In Your Favor,

Jess.
xoxo