Status: Ended. Go check out the rewritten, original fiction version. Link is in the summary!

What Do You Want From Me?

Lies for the Liars

Jessica pressed her face against the window, eyes closed tightly in distress

"Why can't you catch up on this work from home? I don't understand what you're going to accomplish staying after rather than coming here and working in peace and quiet."

"Because," Jessica said, exasperated. "My teachers think I'd do better if I was here where they can help me get a grasp on the things I've missed. They can't help me from home."

"Like you need any help. You're an honor student, for God's sake."

"I know, Ma. But it's just what they said. So, is that okay?"

Jessica heard her mother sigh on the other end of the phone, and she couldn't help but roll her eyes. It was a lie, of course; everything she was saying. But for all Marlene knew, her daughter had to catch up on the laundry list of work she'd missed. Why was that so hard to understand?

"I guess it's going to have to be, isn't it?" Marlene muttered. "How long is this going to take?"

"Not real long, I hope. I'll call you when I'm on my way home."

"Well, you'd better hope you're home before your father is. You know how he loves to surprise us and leave work early sometimes. If that happens, I'm gonna have to be the one to explain."

"And then I'll deal with the repercussions. We both win." Jessica mentally slapped herself at the tone in which her statement came out. Sarcasm never was one of Marlene's favorite things.

"Was that sarcasm?" Marlene growled. "This is no laughing matter, young lady, and by now I would've thought you understood that."

"Of course it's not, and I'm not laughing, Ma. I'm just really stressed out right now and I need to go do my work. Can we talk when I get home?"

Marlene sighed. "All right. Please, try to make it no longer than five. Your father had strict instructions about your punishment and I'd hate to go against them."

"Okay. Talk to you later, then."

They said their farewells, and Jessica quickly clicked her phone off before opening up a new text message.

I just lied to my mom...again. This better be quick. I'm on my way now.

Setting her phone in her lap, she started up her car and proceeded to exit the parking lot. Halfway to the meeting point, she felt her phone vibrate, and looked down to read the text received. A smile graced her features, but quickly disappeared. Sighing, the locked her phone and threw it in the passenger seat.

"You're not going to win me over, Matt," Jessica said, practicing her speech for the hazel-eyed man. Deep down, she knew it was a futile attempt to convince herself more than anything else. "High school is almost over, and then I'm out of here for good. A boyfriend will just weigh me down, especially one like you. I mean, really; you're nineteen years old and you're still a senior? How is that going to look on me, the girl who will graduate top of her class?"

Glancing at herself in the mirror, Jessica made a face; that wasn't her at all. She never looked down on others less fortunate than her; the thought alone had her stomach tying into knots. Shaking her head, she threw those lines out altogether.

As the park came into view, she decided she would just have to think of something on the spot. It would probably be something along the lines of, 'You and I just can't happen', or maybe something like, 'We're from two totally different backgrounds and combining them together will do more wrong than good.'

Nodding to herself, Jessica pulled into the lot. Almost immediately, her eyes locked onto the dark figure sitting on one of the benches. Butterflies darted around deep down inside, and it was then that she realized...she wasn't sure if she could truly let him go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I know, it's been waaay too long. I can even admit that myself. I am so, so sorry. The only excuse I have is that I've had a lot going on; everything from family drama, to medical issues, to really just me needing to find myself. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm hoping to be soon. Since I've had half this chapter typed up for quite some time, I decided to just swallow my pride and finish it. With that said, I also have half of the next chapter typed up, as well. I promise the wait won't be as long as it was with this one. I'm really excited to get the next chapter posted so I hope to finish it up by this weekend. Until then, can you guys give me some nice comments? It would really mean a lot, considering I'm totally bummed about the length of this chapter. It's short, I know, but if I would've kept going, it would've taken away from the next chapter and I didn't want to do that. Sooo, please comment? If not on what you think about the chapter, then how about on the newnewnew layout?! I actually like it a lot, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. ^_^. Let me know!

I love all you beautiful mibbians. ;D

May the Odds Be In Your Favor,

Jess.
xoxo