Strength of the World

Chapter 1

My brother never helped me through anything. He always told me I was worthless and I couldn't amount to anything if my life depended on it. The only thing I could think is 'What life are you talking about?' I guess we just got off to a bad start. Our parents just died and we don't have any relatives to go to. They all hate us...with a passion. So we decided to live on our own and support ourselves. It's hard and I know the things Jimmy (my brother) says to me he doesn't mean. He just gets a little frustrated. And I know exactly how he feels. Being a 17 year old failing student in high school doesn't help much either. But there's one thing I love about school. Jimmy's friend Brian is always there. From what I know, he has no idea how much I like him, hell, Jimmy doesn't even have a clue! I think it's best we keep it that way. Besides, it's not like he'd date an outcast that can't even take care of herself...right? I don't even think he knows I exist. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that. He's been my crush for a good 2 years and I can't even work up the courage to say 'hi' to him. I'm such a loser...

Tomorrow came and what do you know? I wake up to Jimmy literally jumping on my bed trying to wake me up for school. I tried to get back to sleep, but it was no use. So as usual I got up and took a shower, brushed my hair and teeth, and got dressed. I was out of the ordinary to everyone. Always wearing torn jeans and a few band tees Jimmy managed to afford. It's always The Used or Rancid...something like that. I was considered 'emo/punk' around school, but payed no attention to the lables. They're lame. Anyways, I grabbed my bag and headed off to school. Of course, I walked about 4 blocks away. It was no big deal, I was skinny enough to walk without complaining. It's never cold in California.

I walked the first block when a very nice, EXPENSIVE car pulled up beside me. I was kinda creeped out, I wasn't sure if they were going to "nap" me or what. Then the driver rolled down the tinted window and there peered Brian's gorgeous face. I was completely shocked, but brushed it off quickly so it didn't seem obvious.
"Hey Katie, did you wanna ride to school? I know we go to the same school."
Holy shit, he knows who I am!? Damn, he's so fine...how could I say no?
"Uh...thanks, but no thanks. It's only a few blocks, I think I can manage." Well, I guess I could say no after all.
"Oh..." Was all he could say. He had what looked to be a sad face.
"Are you sure? I mean, I know I've never talked to you before, but I've been meaning to. I think this would be a good chance to get to know one of the girls at school that seem to be pretty cool."
Wow. He even thinks I'm cool...ha, I'm such a dork.
"Sure, I guess that'd be cool. Umm...are you sure you want me in your car? It looks pretty expensive."
"Oh come on, this is my parents car. They're filthy rich. If I totalled this car they'd just act casual and buy a replica. Get in."
I got in a little shy of course. He was so sweet, and I wanted so badly to look at him. But I was too nervous. Then he spoke up.
"So uh, what do you like to do for fun? I know you're Jimmy's sister and he said you're into rockers and stuff."
Jimmy and Brian were in a little band called Avenged Sevenfold along with a few of the other guys at school. They were actually pretty good if I may say so myself. Brian was a wicked guitarist.
"Yeah, I'm a fan of Rancid."
He peered at my shirt and I could feel my cheeks get hot.
"That's pretty sweet. I like your taste. So we're almost at school. Do you wanna maybe chill at my place. The guys and I are having band practice tonight. Jimmy knows where I live, only down the road from you guys. We could just chill." He asked with a hopeful look on his face.
I never knew he lived that close. Jimmy never mentioned it. I spose he would've if he knew I liked Brian.
"Umm...I don't know."
"Come on, Katie. I'd love for you to come. We just made a new song and we need an audience."
I eventually agreed with a laugh. "Yeah, I'll be there."
The bell rang and Brian walked me to my first class, then went to his. I was wired the whole day and I couldn't wait until it was over.