Strength of the World

Chapter 10

"Mr. Sanders, we are SO sorry." I told him as we helped him up.
"It's alright Katie, oh hey Brian."
"Hi Mr. S, sorry about that."
"May I ask you two a question?"
Brian and I looked at each other scared as all hell.
"Where's Matt, and why are you both in my house, by yourselves, in your pajamas having a pillow fight?"
"Actually that's more than one question, and we were uh, having a girls night out?" Brian said like a dumbass. I smacked him lightly. Mr. Sanders just laughed, he knew Brian was joking. But he wanted the truth.
"Actually, Brian couldn't go home because it was late and the door at his house was locked. I didn't have anyone to go home to and I don't like being alone. Matt told us we could just chill here." Alright, so I'm an awful liar. What can I say?
"Oh! That's fine with me." Matt's father said. He was too easy! We got away with it!
"But where is Matt?" He finished. Shit, thought too soon.
"He would be over at Johnny's house. They wanted to practice a part for one of the songs." Brian said. That was probably the best lie I've heard that he would actually buy. Good thing too, cuz I couldn't think of one.
"Hmm, and he didn't call me?"
"Well, he said you were out of town for the weekend so he didn't want to bother you. He was so considerate. Why are you home this early if you don't mind me asking?" I wondered.
"The manager of the business laid most of his employees off, including the one I was going to make an offer to. So I was sent home early."
Brian and I were a little upset but thought we'd just have the party somewhere else. We walked off upstairs and got our stuff so we could leave to go to Brian's. We got downstairs and approached the front door when Matt and them burst through it. Just when we thought we were off the hook...
"WE'RE BACK FROM THE HOTEL GUYS!" Matt yelled.
I looked at Matt wide eyed and tried to shut him up.
"What's the matter with you Katie?" Matt asked me.
Jenny walked past him holding a case of beer.
"WE'RE READY FOR THE PARTY!"
I thought my heart stop right there. Matt FINALLY noticed his dad.
"HELL YEAH! We're so-" Johnny began to say when he stopped in his tracks as he saw Mr. Sanders.
"So-busted." He finished.
"Matthew, what's going on?"
"Uh nothing dad, we just-"
"I already told you Mr. S, remember?" Brian said giving Matt 'the look'.
"I'd like to hear the TRUTH from my son, thank you Brian. And I would like it if you all left please." He stated with anger in his voice.
We all nodded and started heading for Brian and Johnny's car.
"Call me later alright Matt?" I whispered into his ear.
He just nodded as he glared at his dad. I walked to the car and we all drove away.
"What did you guys do!?" Zacky asked.
"We didn't do anything. We didn't know he was coming home. Matt told us he had the house to himself the whole weekend so when we heard a car in the driveway, we hid behind the door. When he walked in the door, we attacked him with the pillows thinking it was you guys. You should've called before you came home." Brian informed him.
"Damn, he's going to get in trouble! He said we could have the party at Brian's tonight. Hopefully Matt will make it. If not, we can skip it." I said.
"Yeah I guess so." Zacky replied.
We all went to Brian's house and chilled for an hour just talking and having fun playing video games. Johnny was kicking all our asses so the girls and I decided to go up to Brian's room and chat. I swear, they didn't even see us leave.
"So you guys really attacked Mr. S?" Jen asked me.
"Yeah, but no intentionally. We didn't even bother to look and see who it was." I kind of laughed.
"I woudld've killed to be one of you guys at that moment." Nic told me.
"Yeah, but I'd kill to be in Matt's position, just so he didn't have to be." I said sadly.
The girls just nodded and my cell phone rang.
"Hello?"
"KATIE! Please, bring the guys over here now! My dad's going psycho...he had too mcuh to drink and-"
The phone went dead silent.
"Who was it?" Kameron asked.
"Oh my god I think Matt's in trouble, he told me his dad was going psycho! It sounded like he was hiding but then the phone went dead. We need to get the guys now!" I yelled going downstairs.
"GUYS! Matt's in trouble, we need to get to his house NOW!" I screamed with the girls following me.
"What's wrong?" Jimmy asked.
"There's no time to explain! He sounded like he was in pain!"
We all raced out to the car and the guys took a few bats along..just in case. We pulled up to Matt's house faster than ever. We jumped out of the cars and the guys told us all to stay in it and not to come out. Yeah, well screw that, Matt was like my brother and there was no way they were going in without me.
"Katie you can't go in there! It's not safe!" Jen yelled at me.
"I don't give a shit, Matt's like family and I'm going!"
I raced into the house only to see MAtt being violently beaten with his dad's belt. I could see him bleeding through his shirt. All the guys were sprawled on the floor, they were out cold. I ran out the car and grabbed Kameron's cell phone.
"What's wrong!?" She screamed.
I called 911 and told the person to send an ambulance to Matt's address. They said they'd be here in 10 to 15 mintues. Fuck that. I'm not waiting that long. I hung up the phone and ran back into the house. Matt's dad was still at it and didn't notice me walk in. I crept over to Johnny's side and stared in awe, I can't believe this is happening. I picked up the bat making sure Mr. S didn't notice me. I ran back outside and ran around the house to the back door. I walked in as quietly as possible and snuck up right behind Matt's dad. I lifted the bat and...