Strength of the World

Chapter 12

::Still Brian's POV::
"Mr. Haner, I'm afraid Katie is in very bad condition. She was stabbed in one of her organs. Her kidney is failing and she will need a transplant within the next week...or she'll die."
I was stunned. This was happening to my one and only angel and I couldn't help her...at all. I talked to the doctor some more as he explained things to me. All I could do was listen and let my tears drain from my eyes. Is this real? I had to tell someone, I couldn't keep it inside. I needed a shoulder to cry on..but Katie wasn't there. Matt was the only person left. I walked into his room.
"I'm ready to go. The doctor thought it'd be better for me to sit at home carefully and change the bandages on my back every few hours or so." Matt said getting up. Then he noticed I was crying.
"Dude, what's wrong man? Is she okay? Please don't tell me she's-"
"No, she's not dead. Her kidney's failing and she needs a transplant Matt. My angel, my one-and-only love is dying Matt and I can't help her and I can't see her!" I fell to my knees.
"Brian, I know it hurts, she's not going to die either. We'll do everything we can. I'll kill my own dad for that kidney if I have to. We won't let her die man."
For a second there, I thought I was the one dying. My entire heart was shattered and Katie was lying in a bed, hooked up to a whole bunch of shit, helpless. I took Matt back to the house and everyone came rushing to us as we walked in the door.
"Oh my god Matt you're alright, what happened?" Jen sounded relieved.
"Nothing, I got to come home. I just have to change the bandages on my back every few hours and I need to take it easy for a few months. But uh, Brian wasn't so lucky."
Everyone gasped.
"Where is she Brian, don't you tell me she died!?" Bridgette yelled with Nic holding onto her.
All the guys looked at me with sadness in their eyes. I needed that shoulder again. Zacky came up to me and hugged me. Once again, I broke down. A few minutes later I sat on the couch to explain to everyone what happened.
"You guys, did I ever tell you that I hate surgery or being under anesthetics and hooked up to hospital shit...including needles?" I asked them not looking up from the ground.
I could almost feel everyone shaking their heads.
"Well, I do. Katie needs a certain blood type for the kidney transplant or she dies in a week." I answered holding back tears. I just wanted to die, commit suicide. Put a bullet through my head, but I knew there was still hope for Katie and she wouldn't want this.
"Well that's easy man, I'll just give her my kidney. I'm healthy and I only need one." Jimmy said cheerfully.
"I said she needed a certain blood type Jimmy."
"I know dude, I'm her brother."
Matt looked at him with sorrow in his eyes. I just shook my head.
"Jimmy, we checked at the hospital. Nobody in this house has the same blood type as her, and that's what we need." Matt told him for me.
"What the fuck!? What are we supposed to do!? My little sister is NOT going to die. I'd die before her."
Everyone wept around me.
"So would I Jimmy." Everyone said in unison, but me.
"I didn't hear you chime in Brian, I thought of all people you would have given your life already." Jimmy said coldly.
"I would have man, but there's one more thing I didn't tell you."
Everyone looked up at me as I continued to look down.
"I am the only one in this house with the same blood type as her. I can give her my kidney tomorrow. If I choose to." I said.
"Well fuck man what are you sitting here for! Your girlfriend's life is at stake and you can do something about it...but you're sitting here crying about it!? What the hell..what do you mean 'If I choose to'?" Johnny screeched.
"I told you, I hate anything that has to do with hospitals! You think this is what I want!? To sit around and wonder if Katie's going to live!? She's the only reason I'm alive!" I screamed.
Everyone just held onto whoever was next to them and looked amazed. I didn't know if I could do this. I know, it's Katie and I can't believe I'm not in surgery right now. I feel so selfish. I just don't know, I've heard of people dying while in the process of surgery. What the fuck am I doing? She needs this more than I do. I'm the one saying I'd die for her, and yet I'm sitting on my ass trying to find some other poor soul to give up their kidney.
"What's wrong with you man? If any of us had the same blood type, we'd be there in a heartbeat, saving her life. You say you love her, you'd die for her, all this shit. Why can't you just help her? We have the highest quality hospital."
"Then why the fuck is she dying Zacky!? If they're so good, why aren't they saving her already!? Don't they have organ donors!?"
"That's what you're here for Brian. I'm sure if they had one with the same RARE blood type as her, she'd be okay right now. Don't you see, you two were made for each other. You are part of her and she needs this. But whatever, you know? I'm sure we'll find someone on the street to sell their own kidney to a complete stranger."
I can't handle this pressure. I need to get out of this house. Now. I walked out the door and got into my car. I pulled up to the nearest bar and just sat in my car. What am I doing? She's dying and I'm the only one that can help her. I love her and I can't be without her. But I'm too chicken shit to go through with this. I got out of the car and went into the bar and ordered a glass of JD. I stared at the glass and thought about her. We had so much fun in the past, I wasn't ready to just let her go. I took a swig of my alcohol and got back into my car. This was too much for me. The best place to remember her was the park, but for some reason or another, I couldn't drive there. It was like something holding me back. Almost as if I couldn't go there without her by my side. I scratched the back of my neck and started crying. I could hardly think about her. Now it was almost as if I was the killer.