Strength of the World

Chapter 31

I had just gotten out of the shower and was finished getting ready. All that was running through my strenuous mind was the fact that hald of our crew would be going on tour. It was just starting to set in. None of us knew how long they'd be gone either. We're guessing at least a month. Jimmy and the others didn't get sauced, therefore, they didn't have hangovers. Zacky was going to come up real quick and talk to me about whatever it was he needed to tell me. A knock on the door rang through my ears and I shook my thoughts away and opened it. There he was. Mr. Baker himself. My 'brother'. I laughed to myself a little as I put my finger to my lips telling him to be quiet. Brian was still asleep. He nodded and came in, and I shut the door behind him. The look plastered on his face was one of confusion, and sadness...maybe he was worried.
"Katie I really need to talk to you about something. And it's really important." He stated rubbing his face with his hands and leaving his head rested in them as he sat on the ground. I knelt down beside him and rested a hand on his shoulder for comfort.
"What is it? I'm sure I can help."
"Yeah, I know you can. Seems to me nobody else would want to help me with something like this." I motioned for him to go on and he sighed.
"Look, don't take this the wrong way or anything, because I don't want some kind of relationship to end." Uh oh. I nodded to him.
"Go on."
"Nic is...really moody lately. It's like, at times she's lovey with me, and then when I talk to one of the girls, she just totally becomes my enemy or something. As far as I know, I'm not doing anything wrong. It's just when I talk to you or the other girls, she gets really pissed off." I know what this is. Brian was like this just the other night.
"Oh Zacky, it's nothing to worry about. I think she's getting over-protective of you. She thinks that you're flirting with us." I snickered a little.
"Really? Oh god, I wouldn't do that to her. She's the love of my life. She's my heart and soul. She knows that...at least I think she does."
"Just tell her how you're feeling. I know what this is like, trust me. Brian got just like that. It's nothing to worry about. You just need to assure her that she's the only one for you. I know she knows it, it's just at times...she needs to hear it." He nodded and smiled.
"You know, I could never cheat on a girl like her..." He trailed off a bit. "And Brian's lucky to have a girl like you, someone who will listen. I'm glad you're my 'little sister'." He laughed using his air quotes.
"Oh now come on, you know you were always my blood brother, we just didn't know it." I joked.
"Yeah that's right. Katie's my little sister." He rolled his eyes playfully as we stood up.
"It was nice to have this talk Zacky. Is that all you needed, was a little pep talk?"
"Yup, and I could only get it from my one and only sister." He smiled and gave me a tight hug. I opened the door and he was off to confess more of his love to Nic. Let's just hope to god she believes him, because I know he wouldn't lie about something like this. She'll believe him though, she loves him with all her heart and she knows he wouldn't lie to her. I went back into the bathroom and looked in the mirror, sadness all of a sudden washed over me. Why is it that I can help other people with their problems, but I can't help myself with my own? I walked out of the bathroom and just watched Brian lay there. It was so quiet. I told myself I should just get used to the silence. He turned over onto his side and looked at me. I guess he just woke up.
"Katie come over here." He whispered. I knew he wanted to comfort me, he always knows what's going through my mind when I stare at him with no emotion written on my face. But, at the moment, I didn't feel like crying. I shook my head and went back to packing my makeup and such. I suddenly felt large, heavy arms wrap around my neck. I just sighed...loud.
"Baby don't ignore me. I know we're leaving tonight but you're being too distant. I can't handle it. It's not fair." He breathed on my neck.
"Brian, I love that you're going forward with your dream, but I don't know if I can do this by myself..alone." I wriggled out of his hold and dropped my bag at the door, trying to hold in my tears. So far so good. This time he grasped around my waist and I knew he wouldn't let me go, his head rested in the crook of my neck. He wasn't giving up. I dropped the shirt I was folding and turned around, gripping his body tight, afraid to lose him. I sobbed quietly.
"Baby I want to come with you." I whispered, barely audible. He leaned in towards my ear.
"I do too, but this is our first independent tour. You know it won't be very long. Please don't cry, it's only a month at the most." Maybe I was being foolish about this, but I get these gut feelings that tell me something is NOT going to be right while he's away. It scared me, for the most part. I ran my hand up the back of his shirt.
"We're not going to be able to spend our 21st birthday together." I confessed while he sighed.
"I promise we'll do something extra awesome, and you know I'll call you." He kissed my cheek and then kissed my closed eyelids, a few more tears slipping away.
"No more of those Katie." He stated kissing away my tears with baby kisses, then wiping away a few of his own. I finally looked up at him and received a weak smile. I put on the best one I could, but I don't believe my frown ever changed.
"Come here." He whispered. Brian kissed me ever so slowly and gently. It was one of the most passionate kisses he's ever given me. And while these kisses can cure some things, this wasn't one of them. Brian and I quickly finished packing and got the rest of the gang rounded up. I take it Nic and Zacky are as close as they could get at the moment. They seemed happy. However, all of us girls had red and puffy faces. We were all crying, what an emo bunch huh? We checked out of the hotel and headed for the airport on our way back home. Only, the guys wouldn't be there for very long.