Status: Active

The Undead Mockingjay

Chapter 10.

Chapter 10.

Before I can give my answer, Claudius Templesmiths voice booms across the arena. "Congratulations, Ladies and Gentlemen, for surviving this long. And now, Katniss Everdeen, and Sirius Darkhallow, I speak to you. We have something to tell you. Meet us at the Cornucopia in one hour. While you're here, you will not be harmed. Think wisely about not showing up. One hour." His voice echoes throughout the mountain. Peeta charges in. "You're not going!" He says right away. He stops and stares at us. At Sirius kneeling down, proposing to me. His face falls. Sirius stands up stiffly. "That's not your decision," he says, coldly. Before a fight can break out, I intervene. "We better go. "It must be important." Sirius nods and starts to go and put his armour on. Peeta moves closer to me. Before we can start anything, Sirius walks back in. "Grab your bow and arrows. Load up with knives." I nod, and hurry to collect my things. I come to the entrance of the cave and see Sirius in full armour, and cloak. There is a gash in the armour where Titus hurt him. We're ready. He sweeps me into his arms and steps off the edge. I let out a small shriek as we plunge to the ground. Sirius grunts as he lands. I leap off him and draw my bow. We will be hunted, since everyone knows we're going to the Cornucopia. Sirius draws his sword and togethor we walk into the forest. The arrow whistles past my head and hits a tree. They come from all sides, crashing through the trees, shouting battle cries. There are close to 50 of them. Sirius swears under his breath. "Start shooting!" By the time he finishes yelling, the first one has reached us. Sirius blocks his mace and drops him with a knife. Wielding a knife and a sword, he leaps into battle. Despite his deadly skill, they overwealm him. I think it's because he's deviding his attention to also protecting me. New tributes smash through the trees now, with Finnick at the lead. Finnick's trident pierces a girls throat beside me. The Careers turn and face this new enemy with shouts. Blood flies everywhere. A boys sword grazes my arms, sending a burst of pain in it. Sirius sees me and frantically slashes his way towards me. He ducks a spear and grabs my arm and pulls me through the fray, defending me. Finnick is in the middle, shouting instructions to the others. "Go!" He shouts, before stabbing at some unknown enemy with his golden trident. The sounds of battle begin to dim as we run to the Cornucopia. Sirius has not let go of my hand. I see a tall man, who looks very familiar, Claudias Templesmith, President Snow, and over fifty Peacekeepers. We reach them, panting. "Ah, You've made it. I was begining to get worried," President Snow says, clasping his hands togethor. The man looks shockingly familiar..."Dad?" I ask. The man looks at me with a loving expression. I shake my head, hard. It's not possible. My father died of a land mine accident when I was a child. Yet it's him. He's no re-creation. I know, in my heart, that he's my real father. I run to hug him. He engulfs me in a crushing hug. "Oh, Katniss." I begin to cry in earnest. "Daddy," I sob. He gently disengages me. "How are you alive?" I ask. My father looks at President Snow, who says, "You tell them." My father sighs. "Sweetie, I never died. The Capitol staged my death." I don't understand. "What?" I ask. He sighs again. "For years the Capitol has been trying to create a 'race' of super soldiers. For their formula, they needed a man with skill in fighting. A grown man who can train these soldiers. They couldn't use Careers, since they were too young. They couldn't use Victors because their disapearence would cause suspicion. Most citizens couldn't fight. They spied on each District, hunting for a man, with some sort of skill. My child, When I was young, I trained hard for The Hunger Games. I was a talented young man, who wanted glory. Then my mother and father died from an earthquake so I took over the family. I was never drawn for the Games. So there I was a talented man, who no one would be suspicious if he went missing. I had a job that was already dangerous so they staged my death, putting one of theirs in my place. I loved you, but they threatened to kill you and your mother. They had already found another woman. Celine Riddle. Celine was a young woman who had already won The Hunger Games so she was the other half. With her we had two children. Two boys. They wanted them raised in diffrent Districts, so they wouldn't meet and get rebellious. They were both experimented on. The Capitol wanted them to be unbeatable. They both have side effects. A rage where they lose control. For both boys they took two girls and experimented on them. They would be the only ones to calm them down. One boy was placed in District 3, keeping his last name, Riddle. Another was placed in District 4." It dawns on me and I take a shaky step back, shaking my head. "N-no, y-your lying!" I scream at him, because it can't be true. My father grabs my hands. "It is true!" "That will be enough." Sirius's voice cuts through the air like a knife. My father lets go of me and looks at Sirius. I stumble backwards and almost fall down. Sirius catches me and turns back to my father. "This conversation is over," he says flatly. My father takes a step to Sirius raising his hands, to face high level. He looked shocked. "Sirius?" He steps closer. Sirius looks weary. "Goodbye!" "My.... My son," My father whispers, touching Sirius's face. Sirius's sword has cleared its sheath and is resting on my fathers neck. "What did you just say to me?" Sirius says, quitley. "My son," my father says louder. Sirius's hand begins to shake slightly. My world is falling, spinning out of control, because it cannot be true. Sirius Darkhallow cannot be my brother.