Status: Active

The Undead Mockingjay

Chapter 15.

Chapter 15.

Hours pass by, and nothing has changed. He is still dead. A canon hasn’t fired but that night, Sirius’s face shines in the sky. I haven’t moved from my position and a hovercraft hasn’t come for Sirius’s body. Can they even retrieve bodies that deep in water? Sunshine has created a circle around me, almost like a halo of protection. I keep re-playing what happened over and over in my head. And all I see when I close my eyes is Sirius, falling back, into the water. After the anthem I shakily get myself to my feet. I had my bow and arrows strapped to my shoulder, so there still here. I also have a few knives. I slowly make my way over to the boulder, dream-like. It is blackened, but still there. Our bags of supplies are reduced to ash. There’s ash everywhere, floating, and falling.

The Gamekeepers have caused this. They were probably hoping I would die so I can’t win the Games again. All I have is my bow, arrows and knives. I’m half out of my mind with grief and stranded in a forest. I consider going back to the caves but, will they forgive me for running away? I walk aimlessly, through the arena. Day has turned to night and I haven’t had anything to eat or drink. I’m dizzy and start to fall. I’ve given up. My life is ruined. I don’t know who I love, and who I hate. It doesn’t matter anyway. I’ve accepted death. My will to live has always been stronger then my acceptance of death.

Strong arms catch me before I hit the ground, and everything goes black. I wake to a crackling fire, warm, in a sleeping bag. I raise my head groggily and try to remember what happened. Then the death of Sirius comes rushing back and I panic. I start to get up, but get pushed down.

“Easy there, you were close to death. Chillax.” I recognize the voice but can’t place the speaker.

“Who are you?” I ask, feeling stupid.

“Why, who can forget a face as pretty as mine?” His voice is touched with humour. I turn my head and see the golden boy who was originally with Sirius.

“Kale, right?” I ask, remembering.

“The one and only,” he says while taking a little bow. He feeds me soup and pours water down my throat. I thank him and ask, “So why’d you save me?” He looks serious.

“I couldn’t just let a gorgeous girl like you bite the dust, eh?” I decide to leave the question alone.

“Well aren’t you scared someone will see the fire and come for us?” Kale laughs and helps himself to more soup.

“I wouldn’t be so worried if I was you, missy.” His voice gets serious, “There aren’t many of us left, so I’ll take my chances.” I guess that’s reasonable enough.

“So where’s Sirius?” He asks. “I haven’t seen him since, oh well. A while ago.” His voice is humorous, but I don’t laugh.

“Gone,” I croak. The smile on kales face evaporates.

“Gone?” He leaps to his feet, sending his bowl flying. “He can’t be gone!” He yells. He kicks his bowl away.

“No average tribute can take down Sirius!” He yells at me.

“Well none of us are exactly average, or we wouldn’t be in this mess. Besides it was a forest fire,” my voice is bitter with loss. Kale sits down and starts to fidget with his sleeve.

“How do you know him anyway?” He looks up, his gold hair, now orange because of the fire.

“We were best friends when we were younger, but about a year ago, I got transferred to a different District,” he wipes tears away. “I still don’t know why.” I do nothing but sit here staring. He makes a disgusted sound and says, “I wish I had a pie or something, I want something sweet.” I’m confused by the sudden change of direction our conversation went. He raises his voice. “I said, I wish I had a pie!” I’m starting to think he’s out of his mind when a parachute falls near him. He opens it and makes a satisfied sound. Sure enough inside is a pie. Beside it there is a note saying, You are a sick man, you know that? Kale snickers and offers me a slice. I can’t help but smile. It tastes like raspberries. I take my time with the pie. When we’re done, he gets up and stretches.

“Well, you’re with me now, grasshopper.” He sobers, saying, “It’s what he would have wanted.” I agree, thinking this was my best bet. He hands me a full water bottle and I fall asleep.

Over the course of the next few days, Kale and I wander the arena. We’ve run into a small number of Tributes, along the way. One night while Kale is telling me jokes, Claudius Templesmith sounds over him.

“Good evening friends! What a wonderful night, isn’t it? Now to business. We are calling all the remaining Tributes to a feast, at the Cornucopia. Is has something in store for each and everyone of you. Good luck!” He signs off and I turn to Kale, expecting him to argue that it’s too dangerous. He’s already strapping on armour.

“Well, let’s get going, my little desert flower!” That’s my nickname now. I quickly get my weapons and we hide our supplies. We start running through the woods, matching each others pace. We make it to the Cornucopia, both our bows drawn. There is a huge banquet table, laden with supplies. It’s everyone for themselves I guess. No backpacks with numbers on them. I see a golden bow that I’m instantly attracted too. Kale makes a satisfied sound, and says, “ooooh, look at that plate of hot dogs!” I laugh and we look for anyone else. A boy with a spear runs forward to the treasure and both of our arrows catch him in the chest. Tributes are streaming from all sides now. At first I think there must be a hundred but now it looks more like thirty. A few start fighting, deciding to take the others out first. Kale and I send arrows into the crowd, watching them go down. We start to move forward, sending arrows left and right. Kale and I stand back to back, defending each other. We are the perfect fighting team of two, complementing each others moves. After ten minutes we’re the only ones standing, with thirty other bodies, littered around the Cornucopia.

“Damn, we’re good,” he says, putting his bow away. First we strip the bodies of valuables, making a pile, then we make our way to the banquet. Two chairs rise from the ground on opposite side of the table. Kale holds my chair out for me then dances to his. He pours us both a golden goblet full of wine, singing an old song called, ‘We Are The Champions.” We toast and gulp. He cuts a huge turkey and we eat, laughing. The bodies are gone now, so it makes me feel much better. When we’re full we start to look at the loot.

Kale holds up a large golden crown, with rubies and emeralds.

“Come here, my flower petal,” he jokes. I lower my head as he places the crown on my head. I giggle and look at the golden bow. It looks like it was made for me. It has beautiful carvings, on the side. He wraps a golden bracelet around his ear and waggles his eyebrows.

“You look marvellous, my honey bee,” I joke. He bows, covered in jewellery, and weapons. He packs three huge bags full of things. The table is basically empty, save for a few plates. We make our way back to the camp, dancing and singing.

We make it to the camp and bring everything back out, creating a fire. I lay down, covered in expensive fur pelts we took from the feast. Kale gives me a quick hug, and I fall asleep, quickly.

I wake up to the smell of food. I look up and see Kale making eggs with the new equipment we got from the feast. We gulp down breakfast, and start to move our camp. We move a lot more slowly with all the bags, though. I spot the mountains and stop in my tracks. We move a different way, towards the sea.

Sebastian’s Point Of View.

I laugh silently, to myself. I watch the hunting party, from Finnick’s men, walking through the forest with their bows raised. Do they honestly think, that those useless bows will stop ME? I spot the girl, Isabella, that, that idiot Sirius was so fond of. I smile viscously to myself. I’m going to enjoy this. I walk silently behind them and quietly step out of the trees. I stride quickly to the nearest and wallop his head off. Before his falling head has hit the ground I slaughter another. I laugh and kick a boy leg inwards, breaking it. He gasps in pain, before I stab him. Blood is running freely everywhere. There is only three left. Isabella looks terrified, as I advance. She will be the last, I think maliciously. There are two boys left, one small, one tall. The tall one looks familiar. I feel hatred pour through me, exhilarating. I duck and literally cut the smaller boys leg off. He hit’s the ground and cries out in pain. I grin and advance on the boy. As I walk by I make sure to stomp on the boys head, killing him.

I finally place the boy.

“Gale, isn’t it?” I ask. The look in his eyes confirms my thoughts. He steps protectively in front of the girl. He raises his bow, but I just stride forward laughing. I seize his boy and snap it, grinning. I throw it aside and grab his throat, lifting him up. He tries to peel my fingers off, but to no avail. The smell of fear on him is intoxicating. I tighten my fingers and take enormous pleasure when I feel is neck break under my fingers. He drops to the ground and twitches. His eyes flicker to Bella before whispering, “Run.” I can feel it in the air, when he dies. I turn to the girl, advancing. I take a moment to admire the fury in her eyes.

I advance and slap away her raised knife. I seize her hair and start to drag her through the woods while she screams. When we are deeper in I throw her, by her hair, in front of me. She looks terrified. And beautiful. I make a shushing sound and crouch down beside her, holding a knife.

“Don’t be afraid, lovely,” I whisper.

“Look at me,” I say raised her chin with my hand. She looks into my black eyes and shakes. I smile and force her chin in place, before kissing her. She looks afraid. I laugh and drag my knife down the front of her clothes. It’s not deep enough to cut her but it is deep enough to cut her clothes. I spread them with my knife so she understands my intent. She makes a frightened sound, and tries to get away. I stand and kick her while smiling.

After an hour, a canon fires, signalling the death of Isabella.