Couldn't Hate Enough to Love

Chapter 1

It wasn't love at first sight. Love requires knowledge. How can anyone claim to be in love, based solely on appearance?There was no instant chemistry either. Yet, unknowingly I was drawn in.

Luc had been the one who had set us up. Saying she was Charlene's cousin's friend, as if that was supposed to convince me. I didn't like the idea. I wasn't good at first impressions. I hated to be thrust into the spotlight, engrossing in idle chatter with a stranger.

Despite my better interests, the four of us -Luc and Charlene, and my "date" Tara and I- had gone out. Already we had something in common, we hated blind dates. A sullen look was plastered across her face, which I imagine had matched mine.

I did ask her out again. Maybe because I felt I had something to prove, or because I felt bad that she had fallen victim to Luc's set-up. I don't know why I did it, but she agreed. Mission accomplished matchmaker Luc.

Love is when you look behind the mask of a person's appearance to inside, where you can see who they really are. Tara Moreau was a beautiful brunette, but when you looked her in the eyes you'd see the volume they speak. She was smart, sarcastic, loving, funny, and bubbly. She understood that with me being a hockey player meant that I couldn't always be there. Yet, she always put forth her best effort to make the relationship work... only for me to throw it all away.

I don't know when I realized I loved her. I do remember the day that changed everything; May 29. 2008.

The words kept ringing in my ears. "Luc was in a motorcycle accident." I didn't have enough time to let the words sink in before the next words were spat out. "He was killed instantly." I couldn't breathe, it felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. My shirt felt too tight, choking me. My legs shook, threatening to give out.

I remember every single moment of that day, and the days leading up to the funeral. Every minute that ticked by. I had been immersed in the Stanley Cup finals, every kids dream, but I put everything on hold. Why would it matter if I won the cup if I had no best friend to celebrate with?

Nothing can ever prepare you for the death of someone you love. It is inevitable, yet we are never ready.

I had spoken to him days earlier. How could someone diminish in a mere three days?

My best friend was gone.


Tara stood by me through it all, trying to stay strong. It was easy to see behind her facade. I could hear her cry, I saw her swollen red eyes.

Nothing between us was the same. Our relationship was breaking at the cracks. It was only a matter of time before one of us would explode. There were times I considered ending it. I was repulsed being around her, knowing that Luc had brought us together. Yet, I loved her too much. I needed her. I was afraid to be alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Obviously it's in Kris's P.O.V. May be sucky, but I'm just an amateur.
It's kinda short too, huh? Well I think I'm going to have three or four parts...we'll cross that bridge when we get there.