Miss Clean South

one.

“Oh Billy, isn’t she beautiful? Get a picture, wait don’t! Let me get her bonnet!”

An ecstatic Lou Ann rushed from the baby’s crib to her dresser searching through plenty of small baby clothes. Billy, a very tall man with clear blue eyes and rusty brown hair just laughed as he snapped another picture of his newborn baby girl. “Darlin’, I think we’ve got plenty of pictures. Why don’t we bring Charlotte in to meet her new baby sister?”

Lou Ann slammed the dresser drawers shut in a hurry, “How could I forget?” She asked herself in a frantic whisper. She quickly rushed out of the room to grab her other daughter. Billy just shook his head and laughed. He gazed down at his little girl and sighed quietly, “Demetria Rose Whitaker,” he said to himself. The small baby with his blue eyes stared up at him in wonder. “I’ll have to beat those boys off you with a bat.”

six years later…

“Demetria Rose!”

The small blond girl rushed into the living room, her pigtails bounced with each step. “Yes ma’am?”

Lou Ann smiled proudly, her youngest daughter was a quick learner. You always referred to your mother as ma’am in front of company, and your father is always sir, can’t undermine your daddy in front of his friends.

“Sugar be a dear and grab Mrs. Greene some more lemonade.”

“Yes ma’am,” she said with a small nod. Demetria pushed past girls running around like headless chickens, it was her seventh birthday today and all the girls from her grade were invited. Their parents came too, the men to talk about the good old days and the women gossiped about the most recent scandals. It just so happened to involve a housewife by the name of Betty South.

Mrs. Alexander fanned herself as she sipped on her lemonade. “Last night I saw her actin’ awfully suspicious, I did. Gone and left her house came back two hours later and she looked messier then a pig pen.” All the women looked at Mrs. Alexander with a confused gaze. She just rolled her eyes, “How do we all look after our husbands receive their ‘special’ birthday gift?”

They all gasped, some covered their mouths with their fans. Despite the shocked expressions their eyes showed greed, they wanted more. They soon replaced those looks as soon as young Demetria came back with a full glass of lemonade. “Here you are Mrs. Greene.” She said with the sweetest accent. “Awe,” said Mrs. Greene, “Thank you Miss Demetria.” Lou Ann stared at her daughter anxious for her reaction. Demetria grabbed the end of her dress and did a small curtsy, “You are very welcome.”

Seeing her mother’s approving smile she rushed off to play with her friends. “Such a sweetheart,” said one mother with a warm smile. “A natural Southern Belle,” added another. Smiling proudly Lou Ann nodded her head, taking off her sunglasses and batting her lashes, “Just like her mother.”

Demetria moved around the living room to find her sister Charlotte, she hadn’t seen her all day. Last time they spoke they had argued over something silly, Demetria hated fighting with her older sister, Charlotte was her hero. Finally she had found her, a frown was immediately covered her wide grin. Charlotte was with her friends, the fifth graders. She was always different around them. Instead of staying and chatting she quickly turned around and rushed away from them. The fifth graders didn’t like her for some reason. She was just an innocent seven year old girl, she couldn’t help it if the older kids didn’t like her.

The rest of the night had passed nicely. The birthday girl had blown out her candles and opened her presents. People had come and gone and now the family was listening to the radio together. Billy rubbed his wife’s shoulders as she sipped on her glass of lemonade. The girls were finally happy with each other, things were nice again. The man of the house looked down at his watch and yawned, “Alright girls, time for bed.”

His daughters looked up at him with matching blue eyes and pouts on their faces, he just laughed and shook his head, “I don’t think so, you two have school tomorrow. C’mon, up.”

They both groaned as they stood, the two of them hugged their mother and kissed either side of her cheeks, “Night momma.” They both said sweetly. Lou Ann watched them kiss their father and wish him a good night. “Such sweet girls.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the story of how my character Demetria Whitaker from The Coven became a vampire.