Goody, Like Two Shoes

Goody, Like Two Shoes [Twenty-One]

The rest of October flew by.

Frank had introduced me to Ray's younger sister, Julie, and we'd become really good friends over the space of two weeks.

It didn't stop me from missing Millie, though. And I even said this to Frank.

He told me to try and talk to her during school. So I did. I was ignored, receiving a death glare, and I ended up sitting on the closed lid of a toilet in the girls' bathroom, crying my eyes out while Frank tried to persuade me to come out. And he was being yelled at by other girls in the process.

So, the day before Frank's birthday, which was a Saturday, when he'd gone to Kearny with his mom to visit family, Ray, Julie, Gerard, Mikey, Matt and I headed into Newark to buy him some birthday presents.

The majority of presents were band t-shirts, Cds and guitar accessories, and I was stumped on what to buy him.

"Get him something special," Gerard advised me, "Something unique."

I ended up buying him some new light green, low-top Converse that he'd been pining over, a customised guitar strap, and a photo frame in the shape of a guitar; and I planned on putting the picture of Frank and I at the park, that Gerard had taken while we were feeding the ducks, in it.

Afterwards, Mikey, Gerard, Julie and I went back to my house, scattering ourselves across the living room.

We grabbed five mugs - one extra for Frank if he decided to turn up - and numerous packets of crisps, stuffing our faces as soon as we'd got ourselves comfy.

Gerard leaned back in the armchair, "So, how's tomorrow going to work? Anyone got any ideas?"

"We should've started making plans ages ago." Mikey sighed, sprawling himself out on the fluffy, white rug in front of the fireplace.

"Agreed." Julie and I chimed in.

"Well, the thing is: we didn't. So let's think..." Gerard huffed.

"Frankie said that Linda's working, so he should go over to someone's house for breakfast--" Mikey shrugged.

"How come you make such a big deal of his birthday?" I butted in, smiling.

"We make a big deal of everyone's birthday. Just wait until it's your turn!" Gerard laughed.

"So who wants to make breakfast for Frank?" Julie asked.

"I will." I said, "I mean, I told my mom that it's Frank's birthday tomorrow, and, well, he is my "boyfriend", right? She'd be kinda suspicious if he wasn't here."

Gerard nodded, "Okay, you have him here first thing in the morning."

"But we phone him, with the big news, before he arrives here." Mikey reminded Gerard.

"What's this big news? Its the first I've heard about news." I raised an eyebrow.

Mikey poked my arm, "Promise not to tell Frank?"

"Promise."

"Well, half of Mikey's and my birthday present to Frank is asking him if he wants to join the band. We hope he says yes, because he's an extremely talented guitarist."

I was smiling like an idiot, "Frank has always told me how much he'd love to have an opportunity to join you guys."

"Just remember, don't tell him."

"I won't."

"Okay; so that's the morning sorted." Julie nodded, "So what happens then?"

"How about we all come over here and give him his presents?" Mikey suggested, "If that's okay with you, Sash..."

"I think it's about time that my parents get to meet you all." I smirked, "And please feel free to spill drink and crisps on the carpet. Please do."

Mikey giggled, "That's Ray's job. He's the messy one, am I right, Julie?"

"Correct." she laughed.

"So after that, we do what...?"' I asked.

"After that, we all go home, change into our costumes and meet somewhere in town, then go trick-or-treating. I have to be at the school at seven to help the other teachers set up, but it doesn't officially start until half eight; so you guys could come with me or wait around." Gerard suggested.

"Leave that up to Frankie, since it's his birthday." Mikey said.

We all nodded, agreed.

"I'm excited now." I grinned.

"So you should be. It's going to be a blast, trust me." Julie grabbed a handful of crisps, and the phone rang.

I stood up, "I'll just go get that..."

I picked up the phone and, instantly, I could hear kissy noises.

"Sashie-baby?"

"Yes, Frank, it's me. You can stop the romantic act now that you know I'm not either of my parents."

"So, you're home?"

"No, Frank... Well, obviously, since you did ring the home number!"

"Sorry. Blonde moment."

"It's okay," I laughed, "You're allowed a maximum of two a week."

Frank giggled down the phone. "So, anyway, what's up?"

"Nothing much. Julie, Gerard and Mikey are here, but it's boring without you."

"We heard that!" the three of them yelled in unison.

"Haha, you miss me?" Frank was obviously grinning.

"Of course."

"Are you hinting that you want me to come over?"

"Absolutely."

"Great. I'll be there in ten."

"I bought some Red Bull especially for you, my hyper friend"

"I look forward to getting hyper with you. See you in a little itsy-bitsy while, sugar."

"Bye, Frankie!"

"Buh-bye, Sashie!"' Frank said cheerily, and that was followed by a chorus of kissing noises.

"Stop that!" I laughed.

"Sorry." he giggled,"I'm going to hang up on you now."

"Okay, hang up on me then."

"I looooove you, my best friendy."

"I love you too, my homie." I chuckled.

"Really going to hang up on you now! I'll see you in a minute." he laughed, and then the line went dead.

I smiled to myself and opened the living room door, seeing Mikey and Gerard jump back, away from the door, "What were you two doing?"

"We were, um, you know..." Gerard stuttered, "What were we doing, Mikes?"

Mikey groaned, "Uuhhm... Stuff, like."

"They were eavesdropping because--" Julie began, but Gerard jumped over the back of the couch and landed on her, covering her mouth with his hand.

"Now, now, Missy.Bigmouth, shush."

"Okay, that's normal..." I raised an eyebrow.

"There's a twenty-three year old man sitting on my lap; someone get him off of me!" Julie screeched.

"But I'm comfy!" Gerard whined.

"Well go be comfy elsewhere."

"Mikey, brotherly-cuddle-time!" Gerard grinned, joining Mikey in a hug on the floor.

Julie laughed, "Ray says that they've done that since they were little."

"Aww, cute." I grinned, "Now let's make this room safe for Frank when he gets hyper."

"So you've finally seen the hyper Frank?" Gerard giggled, his head on Mikey's shoulder.

"He walked into my bedroom wall and then decided to dance with the coat rack."

"Oh, well, that's Frankie for you... Mad as a hatter."' Gerard replied, shaking his head fondly.

I moved the ornaments - and anything expensive - behind the chair in the corner.
It wasn't like I'd mind if he broke anything, I was more worried that he'd hurt himself - because when he was hyper he was really hyper.

"Better hide the presents, too..." Julie got up and grabbed the bags that were on the coffee table, "Can I put these in the closet?"

"Sure, go ahead."

Frank arrived a little while later, walking straight in like he usually did, "Ello!"

A chorus of "Hey, Frankie!" went around the room.

"I missed you all today!" Frank shoved Julie half way across the couch so he could sit next to me.

"Well that's charming..." she rolled her eyes.

Frank smiled innocently at her, putting his arm around my shoulders, "Gotsta sit next to my girl."

"Pshaaa, you and your fake dating..." Gerard tutted.

Frank nuzzled against me, "It's fun, though."

"Whatever you say, Romeo." Gerard laughed.

Frank pecked my cheek and smiled, "What does it take for a man to get a can of Red Bull around here?"

"It takes you getting up off your ass, walking to the kitchen, opening the fridge and removing the can, couch potato."

"Jeez, yes, sir!" Frank laughed, hopping up.

Julie leaned over, smiling, "You have him trained well."