Decembers

Prologue.

Devian hated seeing Cody in such a sorry state, hated to see him struggling like he was. With a nurse present within Cody's house, he'd been allowed to go home. Doctors, friends and family all knew that he didn't have much time left, knew that he'd rather pass on at home rather than the hospital. No matter what, though, there was no good to this situation other than Cody finally being ridden of his terminal misery, freed of this life that'd turned sour, leaving him little sweet. He had family, friends and a boyfriend who loved him to bits, but now that was all that he had that the sickness hadn't taken away.

Cancer technically wasn't a disease, but regardless, the failure of cells within Cody's body to die was costing his life. The cancerous cells metastasized, and, unfortunately, went unnoticed for quite some time. A tumor had formed within Cody's left lung, and had been removed, but the cancer was lurking elsewhere, also.

As soon as it was detected, Cody underwent chemotherapy and radiation. It was to no prevail, though; the cancer continued to spread. Doctors knew there wasn't much that they could do now, and that the horrific illness claimed yet another life.

Cody's family and friends were crushed by this, destroyed. Their son, their classmate, their boyfriend wasn't going to be celebrating his eighteenth with them, wasn't going to graduate high school, wasn't going to continue making them smile and laugh. He wasn't going to be here anymore, he wasn't going to return.

He was given a month, a month until he'd pass on, leaving behind this life for Heaven.

Devian's parents had allowed him to be around Cody as much as he could, and he stayed at Cody's house at night, curled up with his fragile, sickened boyfriend. He cried silently long after Cody'd fallen asleep, his tears landing on the other boy's head, seeing as he had no hair left to lose.

He'd continue to cry long into the night, only stopping when he'd finally fallen asleep, clutching Cody close to him, firmly but gently. Everything had to be gentle.

Every morning, Devian awoke, and got up, leaving Cody asleep in his bed. Every morning, he'd leave a note on Cody's nightstand, letting him know just how much he loved him. Even then, he still didn't know the extent Devian's love extended to. He never would.

Devian would get ready for school, leave Cody's house, and sit through a day that felt like it'd never end. All he could think about was stopping at his house, then heading to Cody's, hugging and kissing the boy; tenderly, gently, full of love.

He'd do his homework, and just talk to Cody for us much as the other could handle in his weakened state. Then, it started all over again, this schedule. Cody lived another day.

One day, two or three weeks later, the day went by as normally as what a day now could be. Night rolled around, and he'd gotten into bed beside Cody, turning the light off once they were settled down beneath the covers during chilly December. Christmas was just a few days away.

"Goodnight, baby. I love you, I love you with all of my heart," Devian whispered to Cody, pressing their lips together in a soft kiss. "Never forget it."

"I love you with all that I've got left of me," Cody whispered back, leaning his head against Devian's chest. "Dev...I'm scared to die." He whimpered. "Really."

"Oh Cody," Devian replied, a tear falling from his eye, "just imagine, you wont be hurting anymore. I know you're scared, I'd take it all away if I could, darling, you know I'd give up anything for you."

Cody chuckled a little, but it was still evident that he wasn't solid, and it would be unwise to expect him to be, either. He was dying, and he knew it. Cody Ritson was going to be no-longer, no longer breathing, heart no longer beating.

"Try and sleep, yeah babe?" Devian said, holding Cody tight. "I'll be here tomorrow when you wake up, 'cause tomorrow's Saturday."

Cody yawned, and nodded his head, letting his eyes drift closed. Little did he know they'd never open again.

Devian fell asleep soon after Cody did, rubbing the boy's back, whispering to him about how much he loved him, how much he always would. It was the last thing he ever heard.

When Devian woke up the next morning, he was holding a corpse. He screamed, crying so hard his body shook, getting Cody's parents' attention, who broke down beside him. Devian knew he'd never be the same again, never.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohey, this is my new story.
I'd love to know what you think of it.
Comment and subscribe, please!