Status: On hiatus. Severe writers block with this story has prevented me from writing more than five words at a time. So currently I am working on my original fiction. Hopefully I can get something done with this story in the future. Thanks for reading.

A Girl in Glass

The First Day of my Second Life

The car ride was silent, except for me telling him how to get to my optometrist’s office. At work was no better. Ash went straight to do inventory while I got ready for my only appointment of the day. I spent the first few hours of the morning getting my stencil ready, putting the final details in and making sure I had everything I need to get the tattoo done.

At 11:25, Evan walked in, ready to get drilled by me once more.

“How are you?” I asked as we walked over to my area of the shop.

He grinned, “Ready to get this tattoo. I have been so excited.”

His happiness gave me a glimmer of hope that today would be a good one. I pulled the silver cart over towards us and picked the stencil up. Evan pulled his shirt off and set it on my work bench.

“Do you want to look at the stencil?”

He shook his head, “I trust you.”

I pulled on a pair of black latex glove that made a snapping noise when I pulled them around my wrist. I sprayed his back down with diluted green soap then shaved the area then used a tooth pick and ink to outline the area where I would place the stencil. I sprayed the area down once more and put the stencil to his skin, smoothing it from the center out.

I removed the thin paper and had him move his arm so I could see how the stencil moved to his anatomy. Not liking the placement, I cleaned the area again and reapplied it. This time I was satisfied and had him look at it in the mirror. He gave me a thumbs up. I took my gloves off and threw them in the trash can then put my hair in a messy bun on top of my head and grabbed my glasses off the bench.

While waiting for the stencil to dry, I sterilized my work area then got my machine and ink ready. Today we were only doing the outline and shading, so I only needed black and white ink. I reclined the chair and laid it flat, then called Evan over and had him lay down.

I pushed my foot down on the operating peddle and dipped the needle in ink, “You ready?”

“I was born ready.” He joked.

I pressed the needle to his skin, he hissed but I knew it was a good one.

“How many tattoos does this make?” I asked trying to make conversation.

“My fifth by you, but now I have to drive an hour in good traffic to see you.”

“Fifth one? Was I in San Bernardino that long?” I pondered his question, “Or did you just get them in a short period of time?”

I couldn’t have been, I didn’t stay in one place long enough to catch my breath since I moved to California. Maybe I did, but its been all a blur since I came to this state, tattooing at shops of people I met on the convention circuit or that knew my brother Ryan.

I dipped the needle in the ink again and continued the outline.

“It’s a short period of time, I just love your work so much and remember, you came highly recommended to me.”

“Very, very, true,” I nodded as I started the legs of the pin-up girl, “Who was it again?”

“Dana Thomas,” he replied with another hiss when I dragged the needle closer to the spine.

“Ah, yes,” I remembered him quite well, but not from doing any work on him at all, “He was one of my brothers clients.”

We continued the chit chat as I worked intently on getting the outline done, only stopping once for a smoke break with Evan. I usually didn’t smoke at work and he knew it, but got me to go out back with him. After the break I finished the outline and put the small details of the pin-ups long flowing hair, then moved to the background, outlining the single palm tree, clouds, and surf board. The rest of the details would be done in color. I went back over any areas where I found the outline was weak and cleaned them up. All this took two and a half hours.

I covered the area in A and D ointment the wrapped it in plastic wrap, explaining how to care for it even though he knew what to do. Evan slipped his shirt on carefully and dug his wallet out of his pocket. He handed me a wad of twenties. We went to the cash register and I pulled the appointment book out.

“How ‘bout a month from today, you’ll be fully healed and if you peel, it will all be done. I‘ll get all the color put in and finish the background.”

“Works for me, what are you doing this weekend?”

I looked at him strangely, “Nothing. Working probably.”

“Ash said you probably would be off while he went back home,” Evan trailed off, “Lisa and I are going to San Diego on Saturday and wanted to see if you had any plans.”

I opened the cash register and counted the bills, “You need any change?”

“Keep it all,” Evan said waving his hands in front of him.

“Alright. I don’t know what I am doing. How’d you know Ash was heading back home?”

“Ah, he didn’t tell you I popped in the other day while you were at the post office.”

“Nope. I’ll give you a call if I don’t have any plans. Tell Lisa I said hi and I’ll see ya soon.”

I walked around the counter and hugged him gently, “Take care.”

He hugged me tightly, “You too. Have fun this weekend if I don’t see you.”

I watched Evan walk out the door and Ash stepped out of the back room.

“So I’m supposed to be off while you go back home, huh?” I know it sounded snotty, but I couldn’t help it. It felt like he was hiding something from me. He didn’t answer me but continued on doing his inventory.

“Ash,” I called his name, still nothing. I huffed and walked over to my work bench. He was still mad at me for my outburst this morning, actually, I really don’t know if he was mad or not. We have never fought, not once in our long friendship. Except for when he got all bitchy queen on me.

I couldn’t take it anymore and turned in my chair towards him, “I’m sorry for snapping at you earlier.”

I stood up from my chair and walked over to where Ash was sitting in front of one of the cabinets.

“You aren’t doing well,” Ash sighed without even looking at me, “I can tell that you haven’t been sleeping well. The stress from the last few months is getting to you. You think you might be hiding it well, but you can’t hide it from me.”

I agreed with him and shrugged, “You’re right, I haven’t been sleeping well, I, I just don’t know how I feel about this place.”

“It’s a new place Ray, everything will iron itself out.”

I felt tears coming and exhaled with a shudder, trying my best to hold them in, “I know Ash but sometimes I wish I was still in Seattle.”

He brought me in for a tight hug and whispered in my ear, “I know. We can always go back.”

I pulled away from him, “I really do like it here, I just miss home. I’m home sick. I haven’t seen my brothers in so long and gramps has been sick. I feel like I need to go back just to take care of him.”

“Why didn’t you tell me he has been sick?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know, it really hasn’t crossed my mind.”

“Okay,” He exhaled deeply, “Mom and I will go see him when I get there, will that make you feel better? Or you can close up shop and fly up later, it is a holiday weekend.”

“I can’t close up shop without Tom’s approval.”

“He already said you could. He is going to Texas and you have no appointments for a week.”

“When were you going to tell me this?” I slapped him on the shoulder.

“Today.” He answered bluntly, “You need a vacation. You have been going non stop for months now, since we got to Huntington to help Tom open this place. I know its been rough, you haven’t stayed in a place long enough to get a grip, I think its time for you to relax while we are gone. Tom said you can stay open if you want but he is fine with us being closed for the week.”

“I don’t know Ash,” I trailed off, “I don’t have money for a plane ticket.”

“Call your Uncle.”

“No,” I shook my head furiously, “I’m not asking him for anymore money or anything.”

“Fine, then staycation.”

“And sit on my ass for five days, no, I can’t do it.”

“Are you going to make me beg?”

Ash got down on his knees when the bell rang, signaling that someone had entered the building. I looked up and saw two men. One was tall, muscular, tattoos covering his arms, short brown hair slicked back and had the most gorgeous hazel colored eyes. He wore black pants and a sleeveless Metallica shirt. The shorter was dressed almost the same except he had a black Mohawk and nose ring, but not as muscular.

“Alright, I’ll do it.” I pat Ash on the shoulder and walked away from the chair towards the two men, “How’s it going guys, what can I do for ya?”

The shorter of the two sat down in the waiting area and the taller one made his way closer.

“Are we interrupting something?” The taller one asked

“No, not at all.” I chuckled, “My partner there was being a tad bit overdramatic. Anyway, is there something I can help you with?”

“I was wondering if you had a back for these?”

He handed me a silver tunnel that had a screw on back. I examined it for a moment and looked up at him, “7/16 right?”

He just nodded and smiled.

“Give me a second,” I walked over to the glass display case on the other side of the shop and pulled out a clear box. He followed me and waited patiently while I looked through the spare pieces. I couldn’t find one and called out for Ash. He stuck his head out from the office.

“What’s up?”

I held the tunnel up, “Do we got spare screw on backs for 7/16 that aren’t plastic?”

He shook his head, “Nope. We might be getting some in next week, but I can’t be sure. Tom did the order this time and I’m not completely sure if he ordered any thing for the case.”

“Alright, thanks.” I turned back to the customer, “Well I can look for another pair and pull a back from one of them, it will just be a few minutes if you don’t mind waiting.”

“You don’t need to go through all the trouble,” He said shaking his head, “I’ll just buy a new pair. These ones are worn on the back anyway.”

I retrieved another small case that had the right size gauges in it. He pulled a pair of single flair eyelets that used an O ring instead of a screw on back.

“These will do.”

He handed me the little plastic bag and nodded. I looked at the price tag and decided to give him a discount, but before I rung them up I put some extra O rings in with them. He followed me over to the cash register, I hit a few buttons and look up at him, “16.29.”

He was taken back, “I thought they said twenty-five.”

“I didn’t have what you needed so I took ten bucks off of them.” I smiled at him, “It’s the least I could do.”

“Well thank you.”

“You’re welcome, I could put them in for you if you like.”

“Oh no, that’s not necessary. Thanks anyway.”

He made his way to the door, “Thanks for stopping in.”

They waved at me and exited the shop.