Status: On hiatus. Severe writers block with this story has prevented me from writing more than five words at a time. So currently I am working on my original fiction. Hopefully I can get something done with this story in the future. Thanks for reading.

A Girl in Glass

In the Eye, In the Mirror, I Am

“Well, the door frame is cracked and needs to be replaced, the dry wall needs to be replaced,” Randy pulled some splintered wood away from the frame, “The bracket for the security chain is bent, but it’s all a cheap fix.”

“I figured.”

“Jenny, stay here with Ray, I’m going to run home and get my tools.”

“What about the flea market?”

Jenny laughed, “Forget the flea market, we are hanging out here. Lunch, drinks, all the fun stuff. We can go there any time.”

“But you guys have been planning this,” I argued

Randy wrapped an arm around me, “We have been to the flea market a hundred times. Lets just take it easy today.”

I just shrugged and sat on the couch, I was excited to get out of the house and this town. A day adventure to San Diego sounded amazing. Jenny plopped down besides me and put her head on my shoulder.

“You have split ends.” She started braiding my hair, “Lots of split ends.”

“I know. I need a trim bad or just a new style all together.”

Jenny grabbed her cell phone and dialed her brother, when he picked up she told him to grab all of her scissors and hair stuff. Apparently I was getting a make over today. Which is just as good as a day trip. She threw her phone on the coffee table and grabbed my hand, dragging me through my house. She led me into the kitchen and made for the cabinet that held all my liquor and wine.

“It’s ten in the morning.”

“And your point, its never too early for a glass of wine,” She trailed off and got quiet, “Or five.”

“I haven’t even had breakfast yet.”

“Okay,” She paused and smiled, “You have a point, we‘ll just wait until lunch then.”

She grabbed my keys off the counter and threw them at me. I caught them and set them on the table.

“Diner?” I questioned, “It’s gonna be a few before Randy gets back.”

She nodded, I told her to give me a minute so I could change out of my pajamas, there was no point in taking a shower before she did my hair and such. I pulled my hair up as I walked back down the stairs, Jenny was waiting for me at the bottom.

“Can I drive?”

“No.” I’d have to be insane to let her drive my car or any car.

“Why doesn’t anyone let me drive?” She whined and pouted.

I rolled my eyes at her, “Because you have totaled two cars, rear ended three people, backed over your parents mailbox, oh, and you don’t have a drivers license because of car number two.”

The diner was crowded but we managed to get a table within a few minutes of getting on the wait list. We sat down in the back corner and ordered a cup of tea while she ordered a diet Coke. We made small talk while waiting for our breakfast.

“Jenny!” His voice cut through the noise of the diner. He was hyper, bouncing as he walked to the table.

She got up and gave him a deep kiss, “Oh Ray, this Jimmy. My boyfriend.”

“Ray!” His voice was high pitched and full of energy, “I’ve heard so much about you.”

I stood up to shake his hand, instead of grabbing my hand he picked me up and squeezed me, “We don’t shake hands, we hug.”

When my feet touched the ground I took a big deep breath in, “Nice to meet you.”

“Sorry, he gets a little excited,” Jenny laughed and slid an arm around his waist.

Another person came up behind Jimmy, “Hey dude, its gonna be a few before they have a table ready. Hi Jenny, long time no see and who is this?” He made motion at me.

“I’m Reagan, you guys can join us,” I replied and stuck my hand out.

He was tall and had shaggy brown hair, brown eyes, and nicely built. He introduced himself as Brian and shook my hand, “Nice to meet you and sure, we’ll join you guys.”

Breakfast was great, I finally got to meet Jimmy, who Jenny has gone on about for the last two months. I have had plenty of opportunities, but have been far too lazy to put in the effort to go see my friends. We all made small talk. Brian I could tell was a smooth talker and Jimmy was everything that Jenny said he was. Goofy, loveable, and all around great.

Not once did they ask about my face, which I was grateful for. I didn’t want to have to explain what happened again. I was over it and wanted to forget that it even happened. After breakfast, we stopped at the beauty supply store, Jenny ran around the store grabbing stuff while slowly walked down the aisles, picking things up and then putting them back. When she finished we made our way back to my place.

When we got back we went immediately up to my bathroom. She grabbed my vanity chair then hastily put me in it. She began playing with my hair, pushing it to one side, then the other. I didn’t say much, letting her do what ever she wanted to it.

Randy came up to the bathroom and put her stuff on the counter.

“Well, I have to say at least its not me.” Randy chuckled, “She used to hold me down and put make up on me when we were kids. Even when we were teens. Oh the horror.”

“And you didn’t turn out gay, you just made a great mannequin.” She pointed the comb in her hand in his direction.

Randy rolled his eyes and walked out of my room.

“You get bleach in this cut,” I paused, “I will end you.”

Rolling her eyes she just continued on with what she was doing, “I’m a professional, it won’t happen.”

She pulled a bunch of jars out of the big black bag, “Fuchsia, Vampire Red, Cherry Red, Amethyst, what sounds good to you?”

I hadn’t dyed my hair a funky color in years and was hesitant to start up again. I am in my twenties, sure still young enough to be doing crazy things like that, but I was trying to be taken serious as a professional. Then again, I am a tattoo artist, I hang with people covered head to toe with piercing and tattoos. Ah what the hell, I said I needed a change.

“Can we do a mix of Cherry Red and Amethyst?”

“Does the pope reside in the Vatican?”

“I take that as yes,” I giggled, “What do you think? Amethyst in the front or Cherry Red? Or Cherry Red with Amethyst highlights?” I ran my hands down the sides of my head. “You know what, I don’t care, go crazy.”

I enjoyed the pampering, it had been months since I had my hair done. She massaged my scalp, gave me a deep conditioning on top of the cut and dye. We sat around the rest of the afternoon while Randy did the repairs on my door. I fed them lunch then had a few drinks.

I actually felt good today, like the weight of the world was no longer on my shoulders. I hadn’t had my friends over in a long time, I had been anti-social for so long. The only who regularly stepped foot in my house was Ash. I texted him, telling him that I was with Jenny and that we were going out.

Good.

I really don’t want to.

It will do you some good.

I know.

Listen Ray, Nick is gone, he was no good for you anyway. Huntington will be great. Get out there, meet new people. Hell, take a guy home!

I chuckled at his last response and put my cell phone down.

“I still don’t want to go out.” The bruise around my eye was getting worse, but I was loving my hair. Jenny was finishing up my hair, putting a few last minute curls in my now Cherry Red locks.

Jenny started to fake pout and closed her fists, putting them up to her eyes, “I have a boo boo and big bruise, I don’t want anyone to see my hideousness.”

I playfully pushed her away, but she was right, I didn’t want people to see me.

“Come on, a few drinks and some live music. Jimmy and Brian want you to tag along..”

I agreed and looked at myself in the mirror. I felt like I was seventeen again, bright colored hair against my pale skin, the black eye, kinda brought me back to my softball days. The bruises, the sweat, the sore muscles in my arms. Maybe I should hit a batting cage and work out some of this frustration.

Jenny tore me from my thoughts, “Earth to Ray, what are you thinking about?” She huffed, “Not the bruise and cut I hope.”

“No,” I sighed, “Home. I’ve been home sick.”

She started rummaging around my closet, picking out my outfit for tonight. We were meeting Jimmy and Brian, plus more of their friends at Black Watch. It was a great little pub, almost reminds me of Simon’s back home. Good drinks, good music, food, all the right things to make it worth going to.

From the closet, “Home will always be in your heart babe, don’t forget that, just try to have a good time tonight. Don’t think Ash hasn’t told me everything that has been going on with you lately.”

That gossipy queen.

“Hmph,” I crossed my arms over my chest, “Alright alright, lets get a move on then. I need me a shot of whiskey. All I have in my house is beer and wine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you again to all the readers. Makes feel good to know you guys are out there.

Another chapter soon.