Status: On hiatus. Severe writers block with this story has prevented me from writing more than five words at a time. So currently I am working on my original fiction. Hopefully I can get something done with this story in the future. Thanks for reading.

A Girl in Glass

Caught in the Middle

I woke to the sun beating down on my back. I stretched my arms out in front of me with a big yawn. My eyes shot open as my finger tips grazed the skin of a unknown man sleeping next to me. Muscular arms covered in tattoos.

‘Nooo.’ I thought to myself. Did I pick someone up last night for a one night stand? I looked around the room, no clothing strewn about. Beer bottles on the side tables, the bottle of Jameson Randy brought me was almost half full. I rubbed the sleepy confusion from my eyes and then stared back at the guy next to me.

The DVD menu of Tommy Boy was looping. Can’t get down and dirty to a movie that has almost made me pee my pants.

I tried to replay last night from the beginning. I remember Black Watch vaguely, but did I really get that drunk. I usually pride myself for being able to hold my liquor and not let it go straight to my head.

Matt…

He did come home with me. We brought the drinking upstairs because the DVD player in the living room was shot and I really didn’t feel like un-hooking all the cords up here. We must’ve passed out in the middle of the movie.

I decided to let him sleep. I got out of the bed as quietly as I could and started for the shower. When I looked back at him I noticed that Edgar had made himself quite comfy in Matt’s arms. Edgar never did that. He never warmed up to men quickly, except for gay ones. His gaydar was better than mine. He hated Nick’s guts and stalked him whenever he was in my apartment back in San Bernadino.

Matt looked so peaceful, so gorgeous. It was hard for me to turn my back on him. All I wanted to do was kick Edgar off the bed and take his place, to have Matt’s strong arms around me. I wanted to feel his soft skin against mine.

Quit day dreaming girl, he is way out of your league. I was used to not getting the guys I wanted. The way I looked drove most of them away. I was still girly but over half the time I was dressed in jeans and band shirts. The raging addiction to getting tattooed didn’t help my case. Over the years I have been told several times, “It’s the tattoos” or “I got to be able to take you home to my mom.”

It always broke my heart but I moved on and didn’t let it get the best of me.

I grabbed a oversized t-shirt from my drawer. An old Motely Crue shirt, must have belonged to Ryan. I threw it on the back of the toilet and turned the shower on. The warmth of the shower felt good against my skin. I had a slight headache from all the whiskey, but a little aspirin and I would be good as new.

I was drying my hair with a towel when I walked out of the attached bathroom. Matt’s voice startled me.

“Morning.” He was sitting, feet firmly planted on the floor.

“Did I wake you?”

“No, not really. The cat however…” He trailed off, “So much fur.”

I examined his muscles and the tattoos that covered his fit body. “Yeah, sorry about that. I don’t know what has gotten into him. He is never like that.”

I adverted my eyes so that it didn‘t seem like I was staring. “There are clean towels in the bathroom if you want to take a shower.”

“Thanks. I’ll be quick.” He stood up in front of me and ran his thumb lightly over the cut, “It’s looking better.”

I excused myself to go make a cup of tea and ponder the meaning of all of this. The slight touches, the sweet comments, the everything. What did it all mean? Should I just ignore and play it up as him just being a nice guy.

“Ah!” I screamed out loud and dropped the towel when I rounded the corner.

Jenny and Randy were standing in front of my refrigerator. “What the hell guys?”

“You left the door unlocked.” Randy said in a protective tone, “What if Nick showed up in the middle of the night?”

I rolled my eyes and turned to Jenny.

“What the fuck?” She slapped me on my shoulder. “You disappeared yesterday.”

“Yeah, I met this guy from the shop. We went had dinner.”

With feigned shock in her voice, “So you get all pouty with me about going out, yet you ditch me for some random.”

“So.” I shot back at her. “You and Ash keep telling me I need a new guy.”

“I kid, I kid.” Jenny wiggled her eyebrows, “So, who is in the shower upstairs?” She started jumping up and down with excitement, “It’s the guy from last night. Oh my god! Ash is going to do cartwheels when he finds out.”

She pulled her cell phone out of her purse. I snatched it from her hands. “Don’t go tell that gossipy bitch anything. I’ll tell him. I swear you two are like the two little old ladies in a neighborhood who gossip about everything.”

“We aren’t that bad.” She scoffed.

“Yes you are.”

“Anyway, cause you punked out on me last night, be here at four. Don’t be late.” She gave me a scrap of paper with an address and directions on it. “Bring a swim suit.” With that she was out the door.

Randy approached me, “Who’s the guy?”

“Don’t you get all big brother on me.” I hated when he did that. I have three brothers who were like that when I was close. Randy just liked being the knight in shinning armor with me. He was never this way with Jenny.

“Just some guy. We didn’t hook up. We passed out watching Tommy Boy/I].”

“In your bed?” He raised an eyebrow with curiosity.

“Yes!” I threw my hands in the air and stomped back up the stairs. As I rounded the corner back into my room I came face to face with Matt.

“Are you okay?”

I gripped the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger. “Yeah. I’m fine. Randy is just being over protective.”

“Another brother?”

“God no. Jenny’s brother. He is here to finish the door.”

Matt just chuckled and sat down on the bed to put his shoes on.

“I can take you home if you want.” Honestly I didn’t want to. I liked his presence. “I just got to get changed.”

“Yeah, I got a bunch of running around to do and a barbecue to go to. I’m in charge of getting the meat.”

“Sounds fun. I got some stuff to do too.” I ran into my closet and threw a pair of black capris and a simple tank top. Matt was sitting on my bed petting Edgar, who had his belly showing. Edgar, letting someone pet his belly.

“What did you do to my cat? He fucking loves you!” I was so shocked by Edgar’s demeanor towards Matt. Sleeping with him, letting him pet him and play with him.

“I don’t know but he is great.” Matt stood up and gave him a quick scratch behind the ear. Edgar suddenly gave us a look that can only be described as sad.

I left the house key on the table next to the front door, Randy was no where to be seen, but I could hear him cutting a piece of wood outside. To get to the garage you walk past the stairs and through the laundry room. When we got out there Matt’s eyes lit up.

“Oh sweet.” He walked around the old 1986 Chevy Blazer that had been taking up space in my garage. “Are we taking this?”

“You wish.” I laughed, “That thing hasn’t moved in probably a year. Needs a new tranny, shocks, struts, the list goes on. It was Ryan’s. That’s why I have the Jetta.”

“Too bad.” He was right. I missed driving it. It had the better stereo system in it and was way more comfortable than the Jetta. Ryan had been working on it for years the inside was beautiful, the engine was beefy and fast. He gave it to me so I could drive down here with all of my belongings.

We sat in the car, I opened the center console and pulled out a Type O Negative cd. I stuck it in the player and opened the garage, “Where to?”

Matt told me how to get to his place. We sat in silence, the only voice was that of Peter Steele. He would glance at me and give a smile every now and then.

We pulled up to the row of tiny condos he lived at. “Well, here we are.”

“Thanks. I really appreciate it.”

“No problem.”
“Can I call you sometime?” He asked, those big hazel eyes glistening in the morning sun.

I dug around in my bag and pulled one of my business cards out and a pen. I scribbled my cell phone number on the back. “My cell is on the back. And you know where to find me if I don’t pick up.”

I grinned at him, he leaned over the center console and gave me a quick peck on the cheek. “I had a great time with you.” He was serious. “I-I don’t know how last night would have ended if I didn’t talk to you.”

My stomach started doing flips. No Reagan, don’t get your hopes up.

“Well, you’re welcome. I enjoyed last night too. Maybe I’ll see you around.”

As I sped away from the curb, my cell phone started to ring. Ash’s name was on the screen.

“Hello.”

“So who is he?” Fucking Jenny, I should have known.

“No one.”

“Don’t lie to me girl. Who is he? Is he hot?” I could see the look on his face without him even being here. The look of pure joy and intrigue.

“Just some guy I met at the shop, he bought me a drink last night then we went out to dinner. Yes he is hot, but not your type. Too many muscles.”

“I like muscles!” Ash squealed. I could hear is mother laughing hard in the background. I’m pretty sure she was rolling on the floor dying. I miss her. She was the closest thing to a mother I ever had.

“Well, I’m on my way to the art supply store, then going somewhere with Jenny.”

“Are you going to ditch her again?”

“She told you?” Of course she did.

Ash started laughing, “So what if you ditched her, as long as you got some.”

“Alright. I’m done talking to you. I love you Ash. Tell my mom I love her too.”

I hung up on him and started driving back towards my house. The phone rang again, this time it was my aunt telling that she wired me my birthday money early, which was good, I was in dire need of art supplies.

I looked at myself in the mirror. Fuck trying to conceal the bruise. It only made it look way worse than it really was. I picked out my outfit, a tank top, some black denim shorts, and my black vans. I put some make up on and started for the door.

I was pulling out of the driveway when Jenny texted me.

Can you pick up some beer on your way over?

Sure. Anything special?

Nope. They aren’t picky.

Alright. I’ll be there soon.

I picked the beer up and drove to the place Jenny instructed me to. The gate leading to the backyard was open so I walked right back.

“Ray!” I could hear Jimmy as he ran right at me. He picked me up, squeezed tight and swung me around.

I tried catching my breath, “Alright Jimmy, you can put me down. Can’t breathe.”

“Come on lets introduce you to everyone.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me behind him.

“You know Brian. This is Johnny.” Johnny looked familiar. I scanned my brain. He came into the shop with Matt. That meant Matt would be here.

My heart started to beat fast at the thought of him being here, seeing him in his swim trunks. His muscles.

“Matt should be here anytime now.” Jimmy went on.

Johnny came right up to me, “You work at that new tattoo shop right?”

“That would be me.”

Jenny came besides me and wrapped an arm around her, “You want some sick ink, you go to Ray.”

“You actually tattoo?” Why would he ask that? He was flipping through my portfolios the other day.

I just played it off. “Of course. What use would I be if I didn’t?”

“Shop bitch.” Jenny spoke fast then started chugging, thinking that I didn’t hear her.

I pinched her and mouthed ‘I heard that.’

“Shots!” Jimmy came running up to us with glasses and a bottle of Jack. Oh god, Jack. I haven’t had Jack in years, I’m usually a Jameson or Makers Mark kind of person.

“To our new friend Reagan, may she party hard and make us laugh.” Jimmy held up his glass. We all raised our glasses and said cheers.

“Meats here!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again everyone.