Profit of Innocence: Love Kills

Flirt with Death

I had unpacked my bags and went to bed half an hour later; the next morning, Malachi had awoken earlier than usual and gone to the field. I had gotten dressed after I did my hair and make up, as I walked out onto the porch, I heard footsteps, thinking it was Malachi I didn’t look at whoever was behind me, the footsteps drew nearer, I continued to ignore them, until I heard a small, quiet yet high pitched voice;

“you’re the new girl right? Amelia?” I jumped as she heard the voice, then turned around, a small boy who looked between 8-10 years old with tanned skin and light brown long-ish hair looked at me; “yeah I am, what‘s your name?” I asked trying to sound friendly to the boy; “I’m Job, my sister Sarah, and I used to live here before Malachai kicked us out, this house belonged to our parents” I was slightly confused, Malachai had told me that the owners of this house were dead long before he moved to Gatlin, perhaps I had misheard him; “so…where do you live now?” I asked Job, he lead me to the basement that was around the corner of their old home; “we live here, c’mon in, don’t be a scaredy cat, isn’t it neat? My dad built it five years ago”

I followed Job whilst crouching down, til we reached the end of the line and saw a little girl between 8-9 standing before us: she had long blond hair and crystal blue eyes, she looked up at Job, slightly afraid; “what is she doing here?” she asked him whilst looking at me, knowing that I’d been staying with Malachai, she was afraid; “Sarah, it’s okay, this is Amelia, the girl you saw in your vision” I looked at Sarah with half a smile, she then grinned, but it immediately faded; “you’re staying with Malachai in our old home…are you going to kill us?” I raised a brow as she asked me this;

“what? No! I’m not going to kill you, or anyone else, I just want to get out of here” the thought of leaving this place had crossed my mind throughout the previous night, but speaking of it only happened now, and I was afraid of saying it because I knew Sarah and Job were apart of this cult, however, they looked nothing but excited once I’d said this as they looked at each other; “we want to leave too, but Malachai would slash our throats as soon as we stepped out of the field, but he’d do worse to you because you live with him” immediately, I knew what Job meant, when I tried running away with Ruth the previous night, she’d gotten killed, not only did he kill Ruth, he killed a mother and his unborn son, Alexander, I knew how much of a monster he could be, however, I merely escaped only because he loved me too much, however he warned me that if I dared tried it again he’d kill me without even thinking about it, but I still had to think of a plan on how Sarah, Job and I were going to escape.

That night I’d realized that it was September 27th, I only had to runaway, I remembered my promise I made that I’d sacrifice myself on his birthday; I hadn’t seen or spoken to Malachai at all that day, til it came to meal time; I was about to take my place at the table with Ruth (when she was alive), Sarah and Job looked up at me with worried expressions on their faces, I felt a hand on mine, I jumped as I turned around, it was Malachai, he lead me to the main table where he sat with Isaac, Amos and Rachel, he remained silent however, but his gaze wasn’t as cold as it had been earlier, he looked as though he wanted to say something to me, however he remained silent
.

After our evening meal, I returned to Sarah and Job’s old home with Malachai, the place was too quiet, I looked at him as he’d taken my hand in his; “Amelia, you’re not taking your own life when I sacrifice myself on my birthday” I looked at him as tears stung my eyes, he lead me to the bed and we both sat down; “I’ve decided to runaway with you, I’ve thought this through and I have realized that without me, it would be hard for you, I’ll go with you on one condition…..” My heart raced and my eyes were wide as he’d said all this, had he heard me earlier with Sarah and Job?

I didn’t dare mention my runaway idea to Malachai, if I had mentioned, then I may’ve been responsible for the deaths of Sarah and Job if he were to take their lives; his gaze on me was cold, however he still remained calm, my heart was racing, I was unsure if I wanted to hear the condition, hoping it didn’t involve me killing someone, however, I looked at him and nodded; “marry me….tonight!”

I looked at him in disbelief, I was surprised, yet I was deeply in love with him, I looked at him nodded, for the first time, a real smile was on his face, he kissed my lips softly; “I will inform Isaac, he’ll send Rachel up with your new clothes, seems I cannot see you before the wedding” he smirked, I nodded as he gently pulled me in and hugged me tightly, he kissed the top of my head, then left for the cornfield, as I sat in the bedroom asking myself; what was going to happen now?

Malachai met up with Isaac within minutes, Isaac saw him and nodded, permitting him to speak, before he did, Malachai knelt down in prayer then looked up Isaac, who looked down on him; “Malachai, is something troubling you?”, he shook his head as he stood up; “Isaac, with your guidance, I would like to be permitted for Amelia’s hand in marriage”.