‹ Prequel: Fearing Death

Never Look Back

10

The next weekend, Jon awoke to the smell of bacon, pulling him from bed and letting Prince Max jump in the spot where his body had warmed the sheets, burrowing his nose under Jon’s pillow. The scent got even stronger and he could even smell something sweet like waffles or pancakes as he neared the kitchen.

“Morning, Dad.” Jordyn smiled, bouncing over to him and kissing his cheek softly. “We made breakfast!” She sang pointing over to where Dylan was diligently tending to the bacon and pancakes at once, a look of pure determination on his face.

“You mean Dylan made breakfast?” He asked with a grin as she poured him a mug of coffee.

“I helped, Dylan is taking over the dangerous part.” She insisted, having been burned by bacon grease once and having no intent on that happening ever again.

“What a guy.” Jon commented, making Dylan crack a smile as Jordyn pulled plates and cups down from the cupboards, walking them out to the dining room to the table that had only been delivered the day before. They were slowly making a home of the DC apartment.

Dylan was leaving that afternoon after having spent the last three days with his girlfriend and father in DC. Jordyn showed him around to a few of the restaurants she liked to order from, took him to a home game against the Islanders, introduced him to her new friends who also attended the game, and they spent countless hours cuddled up on the couch talking and catching up. Jordyn wasn’t sad to see him go because he had been so understanding and warm throughout the whole move.

“So, we’ll go get some lunch, drop Dylan at the airport, take a nap, then head to the Center.” Jon listed off as they sat around the table eating breakfast.

“Sounds like a plan, Stan.” Jordyn smiled. A few hours later, after a few simple tears and smiles, and a lot of small kisses, Dylan was boarding his plane and Jordyn walked with Jon back to the car with her head on his shoulder.

“He’s a good kid.” Jon noted his approval when they got into the car, “But he’s lucky to have you.” He added, dropping a kiss on top of her head.

“I’m gonna miss him.” She sighed, crossing her legs in a pair of jeans so tight they look painted on and in no way could be comfortable in Jon’s opinion. She donned another pair of heels today and it made Jon quiver how much of a woman she was turning into with her perfectly done hair and touch of makeup. “But you do owe me like five pasta bowls from Dominos for wearing this thing.” She insisted with a small smile, tugging the sleeve of her Toews Capitals jersey.

“Three and breadsticks.” Jon bartered with a small smile. “You look cute, Jordy.” He contended.

“You look okay.” She countered, making him bark out a laugh, knowing she absolutely hated the tie he was wearing, always telling him that it made him look like an old man. “Next time, I get to pick the tie.” She grinned.

“Deal.” He nodded.

“I will say though, I like the boy jerseys better than the girl ones.” She frowned, pulling the silkier fabric away from her body with a small frown. “This one’s all tight and flouncy.” She huffed.

“It’s tight and flouncy…” Jon repeated, pausing to look at her oddly for a moment to which she cracked an embarrassed smile.

“Exactly.” She nodded, making him shake his head as they finished their journey home. Jordyn wanted to fall asleep for a nap much like her Dad, but she was busy putting laundry away and tending to Prince Max who was in dire need of attention and a walk around the block. When she returned to the apartment, she saw Jon standing in the kitchen, eating an apple with a rather dissatisfied look on his face. “S’matter?” She asked, knowing something was off.

“Amy is not coming out next week.” He sighed, attempting to push his hand through his hair that already had the smallest amount of product in it. “She has a last minute commitment to make.” He added.

“That sucks.” Jordyn frowned. “It’s kind of shitty she still hasn’t come to see us.” She mumbled, making Jon know she was upset by her use of swear words, something she didn’t do often.

“Yeah I know.” Jon nodded before she could step under his arm, resting her head against his shoulder.

“But things will get better.” She smiled, trying to cheer him up. “I mean, I am wearing the jersey.” She reminded, managing to crack a smile on his face. “Come on, we can get to the VC early and I can introduce you to my friends!” She said excitedly, tugging his hand with a grin.

“Goody.” Jon cheered with an unamused expression and tone.

“Oh, don’t be such a butt head.” She insisted, grabbing her phone from it’s charger on the counter and sticking it in her back pocket. “Let’s go, now I’m excited.” She bounced on her feet, walking towards the door. “Bye, Maxie!” She called to the oversized dog that was dead asleep on Jon’s bed, snoring loudly. They loaded into the elevator and waited as it stopped two floors below them. “Oh hi, Mike!” Jordyn smiled as Mr. Green himself stepped into the elevator.

“Hey kid.” He smiled at Jordyn who resisted the urge to nudge him with her shoulder seeing as they didn’t know each other quite well enough for that yet. Mike was in the zone, bobbing his head to his iPod as usual, bidding them both goodbye and a nod before they loaded into their respective cars.

“I like Mike.” Jordyn smiled. “He’s so chill and cool.” She commented, “even if he drives one ugly car.” She added, making Jon snort. The ride to the Center was quick and quiet, Jordyn singing along softly to the radio and tapping her feet in her ankle boots with the somewhat tall heel to them. “Oh, after the game, let’s go get Cadbury eggs.” She wiggled in her seat excitedly. “Wouldn’t it be fun to decorate for Easter before Grandma and Grandpa came?” She asked with a wide smile.

“I think we could work that out.” Jon grinned as she laced his hand with his over the center counsel of the small Mercedes. When they arrived at the VC, Ovechkin was standing in the hall, talking to a man that was recording their conversation, most likely a reporter. They finished up quickly and the man caught a glimpse of Jon and Jordyn, trying to catch their attention.

“Toews, do you think I could get a word?” Jon turned to speak to the reporter, but it was clear that his attention was on Jordyn.

“You’re welcome to do whatever you want.” Jon trusted Jordyn.

“Just for a minute.” She replied as she accompanied her.

“First of all, great to meet you both, Charles Thibodaux.” He introduced himself. Jordyn shook his hand firmly before he could ask her a few questions. “How do you feel about people calling you DC’s Princess?” He asked, making both of the Toews look at him oddly.

“Who calls me that?” Jordyn laughed, looking up at Jon.

“You’re a big deal here, people are very interested in you.” He reassured.

“Well I’m not trying to be anyone’s Princess, I’m just trying to get my license.” She insisted.

“And how do you feel about the Capitals organization obtaining your Dad?” He asked, she didn’t like the way he all but shoved his recorder in her face, making her frown. Jordyn chose her words very carefully.

“I will always cheer for my Dad no matter who he plays for.” She answered smartly, making the reporter grin slightly.

“How about Tyler Jones? What’s going on there?” He prompted, “Sorry Dad, I had to ask.”

“Who?” Jordyn asked with a blink.

“Tyler Jones, the Capitals first round draft pick.” He clarified, refreshing her memory. She knew him as just Tyler, not Tyler Jones.

“Well what about him?” She asked with a small frown growing on her lips.

“There are some photos of the two of you circulating from the time you spent together at the Caps/Oilers game, and people are curious.” He insisted.

“This interview is done.” Jon sighed, shaking his head. “It’s a pity that people are so interested in the fact that my daughter wants to make friends after moving seven-hundred miles away from home.” He wanted to shove the man’s recorder where the sun didn’t shine.

“Thank you for your time!” The reporter called as they walked away.

“That’s embarrassing.” Jordyn sighed, tucking herself under Jon’s arm as they walked up to the suite.

“Some people are just ridiculous.” He agreed.

“Oh good, they’re already here.” Jordyn smiled to see Tyler and Cameron in attendance, all dressed in suits but no sign of Joseph.

“Hey Toews.” Tyler laughed as she covered his eyes with her hands.

“Hey Ty.” She bubbled. “This is my Dad, Jon.” Tyler all but leaped to his feet to shake Jon’s head, making Jordyn want to giggle, but she held it in.

“Very nice to meet you, sir.” Tyler rushed out, thrilled to be meeting one of his heroes.

“Likewise.” Jon replied with a friendly smile, earning an odd look from Jordyn. Jordyn slipped back to the bar while they started chatting, grabbing herself a cherry Coke from the fridge and pouring it into a glass with ice before loading it down with maraschino cherries. “Nice.” Jon laughed as she returned, ten or so cherries floating in her beverage.

“Go play now.” She scooted him along.

“What no kiss?” He asked, frowning, causing her to lean up as high as she could with the assistance of her heels to kiss his cheek softly.

“Good luck, play smart.” She bid him goodbye before he could disappear from the suite.

“So how’s it going, Toews?” Tyler asked as he ushered her into the seat beside him.

“Fine.” She shrugged. “Dylan went back today.” She sighed with a small frown. “But we had a good couple of days, got some food and came here. I got interviewed.” She laughed. “What a joke.”

“Interviewed?” Tyler asked, urging her to press on.

“Yeah, it was the weirdest thing. He was saying how people are calling me DC’s Princess.” She laughed. “Isn’t that the most ridiculous thing?”

“Well…” Tyler shared a look with Cameron.

“Wait, people are actually saying that?!” She asked with wide eyes.

“I mean, it’s nothing to get worked up about.” Cameron smiled sheepishly. “But you’ll probably hear it when you start school.” He shrugged empathetically.

“And then it got even worse, he started asking me about you!” She laughed, looking at Tyler whose head reared back at the comment.

“About me?”

“Apparently there are pictures of us talking from the Edmonton game and they’re going around on the internet or something.” She scrunched her face up at his amused grin.

“Well clearly that means you’re pregnant with my baby.” Tyler added, making Jordyn burst into laughter. Jordyn was so relieved to find a friend in the new city and she just knew Tyler was a genuinely good guy.

Later, during the second period, they opted to walk around the concourse to stretch their legs, finding themselves at the concession stand was a completely unplanned event – at least, to Tyler. Who hadn’t discovered Jordyn’s love for fried food yet.

“Mm, cheese curds.” Jordyn all but drooled. “Two.” She ordered, holding up two fingers. “You want anything?” She asked Tyler, making him laugh as he ordered a foot long hot dog. Before the cashier could take Jordyn’s card, he slapped down his debit card, making Jordyn deck him in the shoulder as the clerk swiped the card.

“My mother raised me to be a gentleman.” He shrugged as he watched her scarf down her cheese curds, surprising him because of how hot he knew they were. Jordyn rolled her eyes, trying to ignore the fact that his hand was poised on her lower back and the fact that she could see flashes of cameras going off from the corner of her eye.

“Let’s get back to the box.” She mumbled, carrying her two trays of treats and moving quickly, shaking off his hand as she sped along.

“Let me have one.” Tyler insisted when they reached their seats in time for the third period to start. He opened his mouth, signaling that rather than grabbing his own she feed him one, which she did, hardly being able to contain her blush as his lips nipped at her fingers lightly. They finished off the curds and downed a Coke two minutes before Jon’s shorthand set the Capitals another goal ahead of their opponents. Jordyn leapt from her seat, cheering loudly as the cameras around the arena scanned the crowd, showing the arena’s reaction to their new player that rivaled the MVP status of Ovechkin.

Jordyn could hardly keep the shock from her face as she turned to high-five Tyler and his lips pressed to hers. Lucky for her, she could see her expression later that night as the kiss was played over and over on Sports Center.
♠ ♠ ♠
another update!
woo!
how did you feel about this one?
does anyone smell trouble with tyler?
what's going on with amy?
is jordyn really pregnant with tyler's baby?
i kid :)
for those of you who requested photos of tyler!
yes, i stole that pic from a winterhawks player.
i love all your comments and would adore some more!
also, from my poll, i realized that not all of you are able to see all of my stories becuase you are requesting i write stories about players that i am already writing about! so please, don't be too shy to friend request me so you can see all of my stories!
also, i hate to ask, but i would love if you could vote again!
this is a NEW poll, so please, check it out :)
thank you! you're all beautiful!