‹ Prequel: Fearing Death

Never Look Back

14

“Happy birthday, Jord.” Tyler smiled cutely as he entered the Toews condo early that day, it was around eleven and she and Jon had just finished her birthday breakfast of Belgian waffles with powdered sugar, whip cream and sprinkles.

“Thanks, Ty.” She smiled as he leaned down to kiss her cheek, his masculine cologne surrounding her. He had something special planned for her birthday and she just knew that Jon was in on it as well.

“So…” He trailed with a grin, taking a seat next to her and stealing a piece of bacon off of her plate.

“Licensed!” She laughed excitedly, holding up her newly issued papers signaling that she could now drive without an adult in the car.

“Nice! Congrats!” He smiled happily before Jon could ruffle her hair once more. Seeing that smile on her face was worth waking up at seven that morning to get in line at the DMV. Jordyn didn’t want a big deal for her birthday, hanging out with her Dad and Tyler was sufficient for her. She had a hard time making friends at school, much less any friends that wanted to know her beyond being Jordyn Toews.

Jon went to do some grocery shopping a little later, giving Jordyn and Tyler time to break in the new game she had gotten for their Wii in the family room, Prince Max watching them sternly in Jon’s absence.

“So what are we doing today?” Jordyn asked as the clock inched closer and closer to one in the afternoon.

“Surprise.” Tyler grinned as he threw his bowling ball down the virtual lane and knocked down a single pin.

“You suck.” Jordyn laughed, shoving him over before he could pull her into a bear hug to keep her from taking her turn in bowling. Jordyn and Tyler had an odd relationship to say the least, they bordered on close friends and something more. He was always kissing her cheek and she was always playing with his hair or touching his chest or arms.

“But you’ll have to go get ready soon.” He insisted. “We’re going to get dinner, you and Jon and I, then he’s gonna take off.” He added, “and then you can see my surprise.” He grinned.

“What kind of outfit? Dressy?” She asked.

“We’re going to a nice restaurant.” He nodded.

“Fine, but I’m going to beat you at tennis, then I’ll hop in the shower.” She insisted, sticking her tongue out before starting up a new game. After beating Tyler in the second game, he settled in to watch the updates on Sportscenter as Jordyn got ready. She had a dress specifically for her birthday that she and Sara and picked out when they were visiting.

With her hair straightened and pinned back from her face with the faintest hint of makeup, she slid the dress out of its plastic covering. It was strapless, came just above the knee and was a deep purple with a black sash under the bust. She and Sara had found it at Betsey Johnson and it was love the moment she had tried it on. Managing to wiggle her way into her black, strappy heels, she made he way downstairs to see Tyler straightening up his tie in the entryway mirror.

“You look great, wow.” He smiled as he leaned down to kiss her cheek again.

“Thanks.” She blushed, stepping into the bathroom to spray her perfume as Max sat and waited for her obediently. “Watch the house, Maxie.” She informed, dropping a kiss on top of his head as he let his tongue wag out of his mouth happily. “Okay, where to?” She asked as Tyler took her hand and lead her out to through the front door. It was just turning dark in the afternoon and Jordyn’s stomach rumbled as he opened the passenger door to his new Audi crossover for her.

“Well, I was thinking a late dinner/early lunch at Old Ebbit.” He spoke of the place they had their first not date. “Then comes the real surprise.” He grinned. Jordyn was dying to know what her big present was but managed to keep her whining to a minimum. When they arrived at the Grill, Tyler took her hand again as the valet parked his car, they pretended not to notice the photographers by the doors who were falling over themselves to get a picture of the young couple.

“Happy birthday, Jordyn!” One called out, earning a smile from Ms. Toews before Tyler could lead her into the restaurant.

“That’s weird.” Tyler shook his head. “I’ll never understand why they don’t go find Britney Spears or something.” He laughed awkwardly as the hostess immediately took them back to a booth.

“I don’t know, but it’s drivng my Dad crazy. I guess some DC magazine wanted me to be on the cover.” Jordyn laughed as if it were the most absurd thing in the entire world. “Like I’m something special.” She shook her head.

“You are special.” Tyler insisted, taking her hand into his across the tabletop. “But I don’t think I would like to share you with everyone else.” He scrunched his nose, making her laugh as the waiter came by for drink orders.

“So can I just get a small hint about my present?” She asked, sipping her Shirley Temple as she shared her maraschino cherries with Tyler who nursed an Arnie Palmer.

“No because there are no good hints that wouldn’t entirely give it away.” He insisted. “But you’ll like it.” He added. “I hope.”

“I will.” She nodded as the waiter set down the basket of cheesy garlic bread that Tyler had ordered to start the meal. Tyler was equally as hungry as Jordyn if not more and it was only a matter of moments until the basket was entirely gone, sans the small cup of marinara sauce. “You have a little…” Jordyn laughed as she licked her napkin before swiping it across the corner of Tyler’s mouth, nabbing the red sauce from his skin.

“Thanks, Mom.” He laughed, rolling his eyes as she slipped her feet from her heels and placed them in his lap.

“Fine, I’ll stop doing you favors.” She insisted, sticking out her tongue. Tyler rest his hands on her soft ankles, wondering if she had shaved her legs just for him. He knew that he had to be a lot more careful around her than any other girl he had dated. Most of his girlfriends had been his age or maybe a year older, but he had a few years on Jordyn and some people already weren’t quite wild about the fac that he was nineteen and she only sixteen.

Jordyn’s eyes lit up as she saw their dinners coming towards them on their waiter’s tray. For once she decided to try something new while Tyler got the same predictable steak over pasta.

“I hope you know this is my favorite place now.” She insisted.

“Good.” He laughed. “I’m glad that I could have changed your life in the slightest.” He added with a grin.

“You have no idea.” Jordyn shook her head. “I’m pretty sure if we never had met I would be sitting at home alone with my Dad for my birthday. Not that I don’t love my Dad, but it’s nice to have friends.” She finished.

“Yeah, friends.” Tyler mumbled quietly enough that she wouldn’t hear him as she checked her cell phone and listened to the voicemail that she had missed from earlier in the day. So were they just friends? They certainly acted like more than friends. Was he reading her wrong? He couldn’t be.

When she ended the voicemail and set her phone down on the table he had to say something.

“Are we… is this just two friends having dinner?” He asked, being fairly vague.

“Well, we’re celebrating my birthday, right?” She asked, eyebrows furrowed as she took a small bite of her stuffed chicken.

“Yeah, but that’s not what I mean.” He frowned. “What I mean to say is, are we just friends? Because I’ve been kind of getting this feeling like we’re more than that.” He tilted his head, setting down his utensils and trying to keep from getting defensive. “We’ve been on more than five dates.” He added. “Those were dates, right?”

“I guess.” Jordyn nodded. “I just don’t know that I can be in a relationship right now.” She shook her head. “Tyler you’re one of my closest friends and I do really like you. A lot, actually.” She blushed. “But I don’t want to get stuck in his rut where I’ll I’m seeing is my Dad and my… boyfriend. Does that make sense? I just need to make friends and settle into the city and figure out what I’m doing before I can commit to a relationship.” She tried to explain but words failed her. “Does that make any sense?” She asked, a sinking feeling settling to the bottom of her stomach.

“No, yeah, that makes sense.” Tyler nodded. “That’s fine.” He nodded.

“Please don’t be mad.” She whispered. “I didn’t mean to upset you.” She finished.

“I’m not mad.” Tyler insisted. “I just… this isn’t really how imagined today to go I guess.” He said, leaning back into the back of the booth. Jordyn nodded solemnly as Tyler felt like a fool for spending so much money on a present. The rest of their dinner was fairly quite but not terribly awkward as Jordyn tried her hardest to make him smile.

Tyler decided to leave out the invitation to dinner at his house because his Mom wanted to meet her so badly. She wanted to meet the girl that his son was so clearly in love with.

“I’m so excited.” Jordyn bubbled, holding Tyler’s hand as they waited for his car to pull up. Tyler paid the valet and opened the door for Jordyn as he drove further downtown into DC and parked at an event ramp just a short walk from the Mead Center. “Where are we going?” She sang mostly to herself as she lightly swung their hands between them.

“You’ll see.” Tyler managed a smile, knowing that she really was excited for tonight. They were stopped twice along the way, both being Caps fans that politely asked for Tyler’s autographed. Jordyn even offered to take pictures with their cameras but they insisted on getting her in as well.

Soon, turning the corner, she gasped upon seeing the marquee that blazed in bright red lights, squeezing Tyler’s hand.

Chicago was opening tonight at the Arena Stage.

“I thought you maybe wanted a little bit of home on your birthday.” He smiled sheepishly before she could throw her dainty arms around him in a big hug.

“You’re too good to me.” She whispered, willing herself not to cry at his thoughtfulness. “This is amazing.” She gave him a watery smile that immediately tugged at his heart. He did good.

“You deserve it.” He smiled simply, wanting nothing more to lean down and kiss her but they had drawn a small audience and he really didn’t want to make things even more complicated between them. “Happy birthday.” He added, taking her hand again as they approached the red carpet that was rolled out for the premiere. Jordyn had never been on an actual red carpet before, sans the Blackhawks red carpet

“Jordyn! Over here!” She tried not to wince as tons of flashing cameras went off at once. They took a few photos together before making it into the theater.

“I don’t think I ever want to get used to that.” She mumbled. Tyler nodded, leading her through the lobby after their tickets had been, his hand on her lower back guiding her through the entrance and into the theater. With her playbill in hand, Jordyn took her seat, shaking with anticipation of seeing the play that had been raved about all over the word.

Soon, the lights dimmed and the curtain opened. Jordyn reached for Tyler’s hand and turned to whisper in his ear.

“Thank you so much. This means more than you know.”

With a lack of anything better to say, Tyler simply smiled.

“Happy birthday.”
♠ ♠ ♠
to all of my amazingly lovely readers
i don't even want to talk about how long it's been since i've updated this story... it's pretty embarrassing and i'm so sorry it took me this long. i've been so distracted by my new stories that i've definitely neglected this one! i am trying very hard to wrap up this story so you won't have to wait months and months for a new update.
with that being said, this chapter is very short, but i needed to jumpstart back into writing this story.
anyone else feeling bad for tyler? or not so much?
i'd love to hear if you're still reading/interested in this story!
thank you all so much for sticking with me!
<3