‹ Prequel: Fearing Death

Never Look Back

15

The Capitals should have been in the thick of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they should have been flying out to their next away game, but they weren’t. They had been knocked out of the second round of the playoffs by the Boston Bruins and were now fated to enjoy a long summer.

Jordyn was in her last week of school and Jon’s contract was being negotiated this afternoon with the bigwigs at the Verizon Center. Meanwhile, Tyler offered to bring Jordyn to lunch where they could both study for finals – he was determined to keep up with his classes online and get his degree.

“Hi.” She bounced out of the house and into his car, backpack slung over her shoulders and a smile on her face. Tyler tried not to focus on how short her skirt was or how good she smelled as he pulled out of the parking complex in the apartment building.

“Hey there.” He smiled softly. It had only been about two weeks since her birthday when he had pretty much laid his heart out on the line for her only for her to tell him that she felt that he was a really good friend. But he wasn’t going to give up that easy. Plus he was confident that by the end of the day, Jon’s contract would be extended for at least five more years in the nation’s capital – giving him more time with Jordyn to show him what kind of guy he really was.

“Oh my gosh I am starving.” She insisted, kicking off her flip-flops in his car and folding her legs under her body as she typed away on her cell phone.

“Yeah I’m pretty hungry, too.” He nodded. “Where do you want to head?” He asked, flipping on his blinker and heading deeper into the city.

“I’m kinda craving some wings, do you know a good place to get ‘em?” She asked, still enthralled with her cell and whoever she was talking to.

“Yep, I can do that.” He nodded. “I think if you type any faster your thumbs might fall off.” He added.

“I know but I’m so excitedly, Dylan got picked up by the Devils and he’s reporting to their AHL team in Albany.” She smiled. Tyler immediately frowned upon hearing the name of her ex boyfriend.

“I didn’t know that you two still talked.” He tried to not sound jealous.

“Not really but just a bit, he text me this morning when he signed his contract so obviously I’m excited for him. This has been his dream forever.” She insisted. That was something that Tyler could relate to.

“Good for him.” Tyler grumbled out as he drove the two of them down to get lunch. When they reached the restaurant and got a table, they both pulled out their computers and got to work, stopping occasionally for something to eat or to talk out a problem.

“Have you started looking at colleges?” Tyler asked, curious to see if she had been considering any school in the DC area.

“Um yes and no, I’ve just kind of Googled around and all that but I haven’t been to any campuses yet. My Dad and I will do a lot of that this summer and next summer.” She shrugged. “Besides, who knows where we’ll be by the time I’m a senior and I know I want to stay close to my Dad.” She said finally which made Tyler smile. He knew that Jon was going to be in DC for a long time, he had a great season here and he wasn’t worried about today’s meetings.

“That’s true.” Tyler nodded, satisfied with her answer for now and ready to get back to work as he finished up the last of his physics homework. More and more people filtered into the restaurant and Jordyn could feel their stares, sure that tomorrow there would be more rumors of she and Tyler’s romantic relationship but she didn’t care anymore. She knew the truth and that’s what mattered.

“Dad’s calling.” She frowned, sure that he would still be in his meetings for the day as she took the cell and pressed the green. “Hi Dad.” She replied, setting Tyler on edge as he waited for the good news. “How did it go?” She asked, making him anxious, as he was not able to hear the other half of the conversation. “Packing? Start packing?” She asked, looking up at Tyler with a concerned face. “Where are we headed now?” Tyler’s stomach dropped at her words and disappointed expression.

She was silent for a moment before a giant smile broke across her face. “What? Are you serious? We’re going home?! Oh my God! Oh my God! Yes!” She squealed, jumping up from her seat with her mouth dropped in surprise as she no doubt listened to more that Jon had to say. Tyler tried to be happy for her but in all honesty he was completely shocked. They were leaving DC? Someone in Chicago had to have pulled some serious strings to get him back. “Okay, okay, I will! Okay, love you, bye!” She squealed before launching herself on Tyler in his chair. “We’re going back to Chicago! I get to go home!” She hugged him tightly as he painted on a happy smile.

“That’s great, Jord, I’m so happy for you.” He managed out, hugging her back as he realized that this would probably be one of their last few moments together.

“Oh my God, I don’t think I can even describe how happy I am!” She laughed, throwing her head back in praise as those around them in the restaurant were discreetly taking photos of the two on their cell phones and texting their friends the news about Jonathan Toews heading back to the Blackhawks. It was a day that certainly neither of them would forget.

•••

I’m comin’ home, I’m comin’ home, tell the world that I’m coming home.

Jordyn hugged Tyler tightly as he saw she and Jon off at the airport, volunteering to drive them and drop them off seing as Jon’s car had already been shipped out the next day.

“Thanks so much, Tyler. Call me all the time, okay? And we can chat on Facebook and Skype and all that and maybe I can tag along to some games!” Jordyn was in too good of a mood for him to be down on the fact htat she was leaving him. But maybe she didn’t see it like that, maybe she just saw it as two friends parting.

“Yeah, for sure.” Tyler nodded before shaking Jon’s hand.

“Keep your head up, Tyler. You’re a good kid and you’re going to go really far.” Jon gave him some words of advice and praise.

“Thanks Jon, see you in October.” He smiled, remembering that even out of all of this, he got to build a relationship with one of his childhood heroes, while falling in love with his daughter.

“Bye, Ty!” Jordyn called from the other side of the private security check in while Jon was still going through.

“Bye, Jord. Call me when you land!” He called, making a little phone with his fingers and holding it up to his ear.

“I will! Bye!” She waved before disappearing down further into the airport to get to their gate where their planed waited to take them back to sweet home Chicago. Jordyn’s hand found Jon’s and she gave him a thousand-watt smile as their shoulders bumped together. He couldn’t decide who was more excited to finally be heading back. They had both missed Chicago dearly and were thrilled to be back.

Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday.

“Patrick!” Jordyn called, running full force at the head of the Kane family once she spotted his playoff mullet that he had yet to shave off since the Blackhawks were eliminated a few days ago. Patrick laughed heartily as he caught the young girl he had missed so much over the past few months. “We’re here to stay!” She cheered as the people around her recognized her as Jonathan Toews’ daughter, but let her go on with her business without bother.

“Isn’t this great?” He asked, giving her a squeeze before setting her on her feet and pulling his best friend into a hug as well. “Good to have you back, Tazer. Worst decision the organization ever made was sending you to the Caps in the first place.” He insisted as Jon finally exhaled a breath he didn’t even know he was holding. He couldn’t wait to get back to the apartment, back to his stall in the locker room and back to the ice at the United Center; it felt so good to be home finally.

Reaching their apartment where everything started, Jordyn could have cried in relief.

“Can we please never go back to DC again? Can I just live in here and never leave ever?” She asked, flopping on the same couch that she and Jon used to build forts around when she was little. Prince Max lazily made his way over to her and laid at her feet on the floor in front of the couch.

“Come on, DC wasn’t that bad, but the people weren’t so great. Besides, you promised Tyler you would be back to visit and I’m going to make sure you stick to that promise.” Jon reminded. “He’s a good guy and a good friend, Jord.” He said, thanking Sara upon seeing the fridge stocked with enough food to get them by before they could get to a grocery store.

“You know what I just thought of?” Jordyn asked, propping herself up on her elbows.

“What’s that?” Jon asked, poking his head out from the kitchen as he greedily ate a handful of Cheetos that were most certainly not on his summer diet regiment.

“I won’t get to be captain anymore.” She frowned. “Will I go back to MPA?” She asked.

“I would assume that’s where you would go? Why, did you have something else in mind?” He asked, making her flash back to all of the rude and mean messages she had received when the kiss Tyler laid on her went National.

“Um, can I get back to you on that?” She asked, “I don’t really know what I want to do with that right now.” She answered truthfully.

“Of course.” Jon nodded, we have months to figure that out.” He added. “Now, our first night back, we’re pumped, we’re excited, what do you want to do? We can do anything in the world.” He insisted.

“I want to see the boys! I want to see Hjalmy and Sharpie and Patty and everyone!” She insisted, bouncing on the couch. “I want to eat sushi and play with Danny and Gabey and then push the TV into my room and watch Secret Garden!” She squealed, making him laugh at how excited she was as she jumped up and down on the couch, absolutely high on life. “I want to eat a greasy hot dog from the vendor and go to Millennium Park!” She listed off.

“I’ll see what I can do about sushi with the boys and I can definitely do Secret Garden later, but there are only so many hours in the day.” He insisted.

“There’s one more thing.” She added as she stopped jumping and stood on the couch while Jon walked over to stand in front of her, the back of the sofa separating them as she placed her hands on his clean-shaven cheeks.

“What’s that?” He asked, seeing that she had suddenly become rather serious.

“I want you to call Amy.” She said softly, knowing it was a rough subject and how much Jon missed Amy and regretted what had conspired in DC.

“Jordyn…” He sighed, looking away as her hands remained on his cheeks.

“Even if it’s just to talk. I miss her.” She replied softly.

“I’ll see what I can do.” He tried a small smile, making her beam widely.

I know my kingdom awaits and they’ve forgiven my mistakes. I’m comin’ home, I’m comin’ home, tell the word that I’m coming… home.
♠ ♠ ♠
gah. please dont' hate me because i know it's been MONTHS since this has been updated and i feel absolutely terrible about it! i got super wrapped up in my sid story and this one definitely got pushed to the back burner. this story is wrapping up soon!
did anyone see Jon and Jord going back to Chi?
will anything ever happen between Tyler and Jordan?
will Amy forgive Jon?
i'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback so i know you're still interested in this!
thanks so much for reading!