Status: On Hold

Situations

Slayden

Rayne had done as he promised and only went out with Jenny is someone else was there. He still didn’t understand why I asked him to do this and asked me about again the other day. I’d told him that Jenny just gave me this odd feeling, like she had some bad intention towards him.

I couldn’t explain it very well though and Rayne just got more confused by what I said.

I ran the cloth along the wooden bar wiping up the spilled alcohol. After the bar was clean again I took all the used glasses and brought them over to the sink. I washed them in the soapy water before drying and placing them back under the bar for later use.

A man came up to the bar and asked for a beer and a rum and coke. I prepared the drinks before placing the drink on the counter in front of him and collecting the cash he’s set down. I went to get his change, but he just waved me off.

“Keep it as a tip.” I smiled at him as a thanks before he turned and walked over to one of the booths.

Where I worked wasn’t the most popular place, but it always had good bands playing and it had a good reputation. Over the years the place had gotten quite a few regulars and there was always a new face in the crowd.

I really loved my job because I got to meet new people and see a live show almost every night I work. It’s a fairly easy job too. I just have to make drinks, check peoples I.D., wash the dishes, serve some of the food, keep my work area clean and make sure people don’t drink too much. Plus, I get some fairly cheap if not free, booze.

I noticed a guy around my age slump onto one of the bar stool before dropping his head onto the counter. This guy obviously needed some cheering up.

I walked over to him and placed my elbow on the counter beside him, resting my chin on my hand.

“What can I get ya?” The young man lifted his face to look me in the eyes.

“A plane going to anywhere but here would be great.” I gave him a small smile before reaching under the bar. I pulled out two shot glasses and a bottle of vodka.

“One shot of vodka it is.” I filled both of the glasses then placed one in front of him and took the other in my hand. I downed the drink before slamming it down on the counter. I felt the familiar burn as the liquid went down my throat before it settled in my stomach.

“Your turn buddy.” He picked up the glass and brought it to his lips before emptying the glass in his mouth. He placed the cup back down on the counter with a thud as he swallowed. Hew went to grab his wallet from his pocket but I grabbed his hand and stopped him.

“That one’s on the house.” The guy smiled at me then sat up.

“I really needed that, thanks…” He trailed off, his way of asking my name.

“Slayden.”

“Thanks Slayden. I was having one of those day y’know?” I nodded my head in understanding as I took both of our glasses over to the sink. I walked back over to the guy and leaned against the counter just to the left of him.

“Some days can be shit and make you feel so lonely and sad but there’s always tomorrow. Sometimes you just need to forget what happened in the past and live in the now. If you dwell on the past you could miss things that could change your life. I’ve found someone that makes me want to keep living in this fucked up world. If I hadn’t focused on what was happening then, I might not have ever me them. Living is hard but if you spend it with the right people it’s worth it in the end.” The man had been listening to me intently the whole time and when I finished he reached for my hand. He shook it firmly before releasing it again.

“Thank you Slayden. I can’t even express how grateful I am to you. You’ve changed my whole outlook on life. I’ve always thought about all the bad things that have happened to me and focused on all my regrets. From now on though, I am going to try to change all of that. I’m going to try to live in the now and take one day at a time. I want to find someone that I can feel as passionate about as you do to your lover. Just, thank you so much.” I was shocked to say the least. I wasn’t really aiming to change this guy’s life. I Was just trying to cheer him up.

“Uh, no problem man. I’m glad to have helped.” I rubbed the back of my neck a little embarrassed. This guy just made me sound so important which I most definitely was not.

I watched as he picked himself off of the stool and walked out the door, ten times more confidence and determination in his step than with what he entered with. As I watched him leave I looked at the clock and realized that I had gotten off five minutes ago. I washed the rest of the glasses in the sink and put them away before walking into the back.

I saw Jake walking through the door and I smiled, glad that my replacement was here on time. I walked over to him and clapped him on the shoulder before pulling him into a hug.

“’ey man, how was your shift?” Jake was wearing his usual smile as he greeted me.

“Not bad, I met this guy and apparently changed his life.” I was still a little confused as how I managed to do that, but I’m glad the guy was happier than how he came into the bar.

“Oh, sounds like a night he’ll never forget!” He laughed as he moved past me and over to the doors. “I got to get to work Slay, ring me up sometime soon. I miss hanging out with you and Rayne.”

“Definitely. I’ll talk to you soon Jake.” I waved as I grabbed my jacket from the coat rack and walked out into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is really late D':
I'm sorreh.

Thank you to everyone that commented <3
I'm really tired so I'll do the comments on next chapter which hopefully will be out on tuesday.
It would be tomorrow but I'm going out to a teahouse with my grandma :)
I'm excited.

Comment//Subscribe?