Status: I'm back! Hopefully regular updates will happen...but no promises.

Broken Brain

Four.

I quickly primped myself. I was going to make a good impression this time.

He seemed to notice me as soon as he walked into the room. He glanced around, looking for a seat. I tried to discreetly clear a space for him in at the always empty seat next to me. After realizing that the seat next to me was the only seat available, he walked over and sat down. I tried to casually pull my hair in front of my face to hide my tomato red cheeks.

“Hi,” I said through a mouthful of hair.

“Uh, hi.” Cue the awkward silence. “So…you’re not going to go insane again, are you?” he asked. Was he making fun of me? I didn’t answer, but instead glanced around the room to make sure there was nothing that was going to destroy the world if I didn’t fix it. Ms. Greens usually kept her room tidy enough. She seemed to be one of the only teachers at the school who had any sort of vague understanding of how my mind worked, and I hardly ever had to fix her room.

He noticed my lack of a response. He looked a bit tense. “Wait…you aren’t, are you?”

Before I had to answer, Ms. Greens strode into the room, her peasant skirt swaying behind her and her calico heels clicking against the linoleum. She was humming some sort of reggae song under her breath.

“Good morning, loves,” she said, perching on the edge of her desk and picking up her clipboard where she kept everything she needed for the day. She paused, as though she expected someone to answer her greeting, although nobody ever did. “Now, before we get started, who is…Beck Hawthorne?”

No Name raised his hand. So that was his name. Beck. Beck Hawthorne.

“Ah, well Beck, welcome to class,” she said cheerfully.

Beck. What a beautiful name. It seemed so manly and old fashioned. I loved it. There was a certain ring to it. Beck Hawthorne. Beck Hawthorne.

Kat Hawthorne. Katherine Hawthorne. I loved it.

Then I remembered I was 17, in high school, and had only known this guy for a couple hours and only learned his name 5 minutes ago. It wasn’t time for me to be putting our names together yet, much less imagining what our children would look like (that would be the next step and I was determined to snap myself out of my daydream before I got to far.)

The rest of the class was rather dull. We had a project that had been assigned last week and was due next week, so we were given the entire period to work on it. I tried to make some progress, I really did, but when you have a handsome, dark, mysterious guy sitting right next to you and you find him incredibly fascinating, it’s pretty much impossible to get anything meaningful done.

Just what I needed. Another distraction.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M BACK GUYS.
I plan to finish this over the summer. For real.
For now, enjoy this.