Status: Complete

Just a Feeling

25

Rowan was already tugging on her jacket and shoes. “What about my friends?” she demanded.

“Well… They can stay and fight, or they can hide with you.”

None of them stood. Izzy looked to Livy with pained eyes. “Liv, you’ve got to go. You can’t fight. You’re a pacifist, for crying out loud!”

“And what, leave you here? No, thank you.”

“Actually, if you wouldn’t mind, Isadore, we want you to come help protect the princess.” Livy grinned with relief, and she and Izzy tugged on their shoes, too.

Rowan looked back at Lane. “Be safe,” she said quietly. Lane was looking like she could take on anything.

“Don’t worry about me. Just don’t go running off, okay? They’re going to protect you.”

Rowan ran over and hugged her tightly. “Miss Connor, we have to get moving,” Mr. Novak said.

“I meant it. Be safe.”

Lane stuck out her tongue and started grabbing her outside gear. “The intruders will likely be coming here first, Miss O’Shea. Watch out for them,” Mr. Novak warned.

Rowan was rushed into one of the school vans, where her brother was already waiting. “Where are Evan and Luke?” she asked.

“They’re out there, protecting the rest of the students,” Ash said sympathetically. He took Rowan’s hand and squeezed. “They know what they’re doing.”

“What happened?”

“We’re still trying to figure that…” Ash trailed off. They were driving past small fights that seemed to be breaking out everywhere, and there were Delaney and Evan, who were fighting Haley and some big blonde brute. They were easy to see in the darkness, because of the lightning flying between the two girls.

Lane and Haley, being twins, had the same exact power. Both had conjured a tornado. Their tornados kept racing toward each other, trying to get past the other. So far, no one was winning.

“From the looks of it, Haley was the leak,” Ash said.

“Really?” Livy said. “I… I guess I’d hoped she wouldn’t do something like this. But I do remember her greatest fear being that someone would discover… something. That they would find out she’d done something. I couldn’t get a clear read on her, because it was in the middle of the cafeteria and she was far away.”

“Could be that she was afraid people would find out she was playing traitor,” Rowan said. “Poor Lane.”

“They were never sisters,” Livy said quietly. “They might be twins, but they were never sisters.”

Haley flung another furious lightning bolt at her rat of a sister, attacking her with all she had. But Delaney could fight better than she’d given her credit for, and she fought dirty.

Rick, who was fighting with Haley, tugged on her arm. “We’ve got to get out of here. I saw the princess being taken away. We’re wasting our time here.” Haley glared at him, but agreed.

“Later, sis,” Haley called over her shoulder as she ran away, putting up a block of storm between them. She saw Brion and grabbed his arm, pulling him along. Rick hotwired an Academy van, while Haley had Brion trace Rowan.

That was all the freak was good for, Haley thought. He could find anyone he’d ever seen. And she knew he’d seen Rowan. That bitch.

“Where is she?” Haley asked impatiently when Brion didn’t say anything.

“She’s… headed west. They’re taking her to the airport.” Haley grinned.

“Rick, did you get that? Step on it.” Haley called her contacts, letting them know to expect Rowan at the airport, and laughed. This was going to be fun.