Status: Complete

Just a Feeling

06

Ash came over to their table and sat next to Rowan, and Luke took the seat opposite him. Rowan ignored them, though both seemed to be focusing on her completely. "Please, go on," Luke prompted.

Rather than answer, Rowan shoved a bite of food into her mouth and took a very, very long time chewing. "That's my girl," Edwin said, looking thoroughly pleased at her reaction to the newcomers. Rowan had to laugh.

“Rowan, I’d like us to be friends,” Ash said, shooting a glare at Edwin, then focusing his eyes on Rowan’s.

She tilted her head but held his gaze. “Why?” she asked.

“Oh… I… erm…”

“Does he need a reason?” Lucas cut in, trying to draw her eyes to his. “Maybe it’s just because you’re the interesting new girl. We don’t normally get new students, and when we do, it is certainly not in November.” Rowan scoffed and irritably shoved more food in her mouth.

“When do classes start?” she asked suddenly.

“Oh, they’re going on today. If you mean, when are you starting… Well, you need to have a few things explained to you before we can put you in classes,” Ash explained.

“Wait just a minute. Just because I grew up in an orphanage, doesn’t mean I’m dim. I studied, a lot. I-”

“I’m sure you’re very bright, Rowan. This is a different thing altogether. It’s completely unrelated to anything you’ve seen in your other school,” Luke cut in before Rowan worked herself up so that she was too angry to really listen to him.

He didn’t know her well enough yet to know that she never got too mad to really hear what someone was saying. It was one of the perks to being able to detect lies- she always knew when someone was being honest. That made her easier to defuse. She always knew when someone wasn’t just saying things to make her calm down.

“Alright, fine. And when will these explanations be given?” No one answered her.

Later that night, Rowan lay in her bed and glowed. It took her a while to figure out why, but then she realized with a start that the gaping hole in her chest that she’d come to accept as a fact of life was no longer festering. In fact, she couldn’t feel it at all.

She wasn’t lonely anymore. She was surrounded by people and, for once, she was accepted, even sought out. She had people she might be able to call friends soon. When was the last time she could say that?

Never.