Lovers End

The Open Window

She quietly crept to his house and away from her own, still shaking from that night's events. Her parents had had another fight, and... she shuddered and decided not to think about it.

His window was open tonight.

"Yes," she whispered to herself and climbed the crumbling brick, catapulting herself inside.

She knew he wasn't home. He had told her he'd be gone for at least three days. But she didn't care. She just needed to get away...And it was his fault for leaving his window open.

Besides, she'd leave before he realized she had been there.

God, I feel like a stalker, she thought and laughed to herself as she kicked off her beaten-down converse.

She froze as she heard a cough from the other room. Fuck, Mike must be home... She shook her head and shoved her shoes back on. She heard his footsteps echo outside the door, and she made her way to the window.

"Es?" Mike said, opening the door.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm leaving..." She sighed and ran her fingers through her auburn hair.

"He's not here," Mike said quietly.

"Yeah, I know." She heard him sigh.

"Your parents have another fight?" She whirled around to face him.

"No," she said quickly.

"Bullshit." He smiled gently. "He left his window open for you."

She nodded in response.

"Well? Are you staying or what?"

"No, I'm gonna go..." She turned back towards the window; she heard him sigh again.

"Where are you gonna go? You're not gonna go home." She paused, one hand on the doorframe.

"I'm going to-"

"And I'm not letting you stay with Tré, that horny bastard." She smiled. "Stay... He left his window open for you."

"But I thought-"

"No, it's fine. Stay." She turned around.

"Really?" He grinned.

"Yeah... And Esmee?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry about, well... everything." She nodded.

"I'm sorry too. I never meant-"

"I know." He smiled kindly. "Just don't let it happen again. It really hurt him." She looked away, tears burning at the corners of her eyes.

"I know, I just... I didn't mean for any of it to happen." He made his way over to her and embraced her in a hug.

"I know... And Bill knows." She nodded as she realeased him.

"Thanks, Mike." He smiled faintly.

"Anytime..." He wished her a good night and made his way to the basement.

She sniffled once more and slipped off her shoes. She really didn't want to think about what had happened. She didn't want to think about anything.

She collapsed onto Billie Joe's bed and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.