Lovers End

Whisper In The Wind

Esmee spent that night sitting on Billie's windowledge, staring out the window at the cool autumn night. She was afraid to go to sleep...afraid of the nightmares. Visions of her father's cruel face kept flashing across her mind.

She shivered and pulled her sweater closer around her. Everything always went so wrong. What was wrong with her? Why did her dad hate her so much?

She saw some teenage boy walk up to the nextdoor neighbor's house and knock on one of the windows. He was immediately bathed in light as Neighbour Girl opened the window, jumping into his arms. He spun her around and kissed her passionately. Neighbour Girl giggled, and they snuck out into the night, their fingers linked, his arm around her protectively.

They seemed so happy. She sighed. Why couldn't she have that? She used to have it with Billie Joe, but now...she was afraid of hurting him again. She shook her head and hit her head against the frame.

The wind whispered gently, promising rebirth, promising love and life and happiness. Esmee closed her eyes and listened to it...she remembered when her mother taught her to listen to it.

"Now Esmee, sit still, I want to teach you something," Josephine said calmly. Esmee laughed and sat with her mother in the cool twilight.

"What, Mommy?" Esmee asked. Josephine smiled gently and brushed Esmee's auburn hair back.

"Do you hear the wind?" Esmee nodded. "Listen to it. Close your eyes and listen. It tells you things."

"What things?" Josephine chuckled.

"It is the comfort in difficult times. It is the help when you are in danger. It is love when you feel alone...now shh. Listen to it." Mother and daughter closed their eyes, and, for the first time, Esmee heard the whispers, of love and laughter.


"Esmee?" Billie's whispering voice woke her up suddenly, startling her. She looked outside to see it was morning; she must have fallen asleep thinking of her mother. She sighed.

"Esmee?" Billie repeated. She turned to face him.

"Yeah?" He walked over to her. He looked so cute with his hair all ruffled from sleep. She'd missed seeing that.

"You okay?" he asked. She shrugged and looked back out the window.

"Did you sleep in the window?" he said. She snorted.

"Apparently...I don't remember falling asleep." He nodded and held his hands out, helping her to her feet. She stretched, the muscles in her back extremely sore.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened?" he asked softly. She sighed and looked at the floor.

"Yeah... I...it's hard..." He nodded and guided her to the bed, sitting next to her and holding her hands comfortingly. She cleared her throat and rested her head on his shoulder, making him tense briefly, then relax into the embrace. He wrapped his arm around her and rested his chin on top of her head.

"It was my dad," she choked out, tears already falling. "I came home and there he was...he hit me so much...I don't know everything that happened. I passed out." She sniffled quietly.

"Fucking bastard," Billie whispered and kissed the top of her head. "I'm so sorry, Esmee." She buried her face in Billie's shoulder and sobbed, while he cooed and rubbed her shoulders gently.

After a few minutes, she'd calmed down, and Billie was whispering comfortingly in her hear, stroking her hair. She sighed and wrapped her arms around Billie's neck.

"You are so amazing. Thank you," she whispered.

"I-" She cut him off by pressing her lips against his. She could tell it surprised him, but then he relaxed and wrapped his arms around her waist, gently kissing her back. His tongue begged entrance, which she willingly gave. Their tongues explored each other's mouth, and they eventually broke away, both sufficiently breathless.

"I love you," Esmee whispered. He smiled and kissed her briefly.

"I love you too."