Lovers End

Wake Up, I've Been Waiting For You

Her eyes opened, revealing a teenage boy's room. She sat up, unfamiliar with the setting, only to lie back down when a wave of pain hit her body. She groaned and flung an arm over her eyes.

She began to panic as she realized she couldn't remember anything. Who was she? Where was she?

A rustling noise startled her, and she peeked out to see a teenage boy enter the room. His eyebrows shot up, and he darted out, only to return with a doctor.

"Esmee?" the man asked the girl. She frowned at him. Was that her name?

"I'm Dr. Hughes. I'm going to examine your head, okay?" She nodded, and the doctor proceeded to touch her head. He made her look at a flashlight and follow it with her eyes.

"What is your name?" he asked. She shook her head.

"You said it was Esmee..." she replied, and he frowned.

"What do you think it is?" The girl paused.

"I don't remember..."

"What is the last thing you remember?" he asked.

"I... I fell. And then I woke up." Dr. Hughes sighed and turned to the boy.

"She seems to have a concussion. She will remember in a few weeks, hopefully." He turned back to the girl. "Your name is Esmee. This is Billie Joe, he'll take care of you."

And with that, he left. Esmee blinked, frowning. Billie Joe sat on the bed and rested his head in his hands.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"Billie Joe... I'm your..." he paused. "I'm not really sure what we were. I think I was your boyfriend."

"Why aren't you sure?" she asked, and he sighed.

"We never really discussed it." She nodded and looked out the window, at the unfamiliar landscape.

"Where are we?" she asked suddenly, turning back to Billie Joe.

"Oakland, California."