Status: Work in progress. Updated sporadically. Don't expect fast updates.

Mad Like Me

April 4

Enemy – from the Latin inimicus, meaning “hostile, unfriendly”

Alas! journal, it is not enough that I am stuck here in hideous clothes and am unwanted by my beloved parents, I must also make an enemy!

It happened today after lunch. I decided to go back to my room, but I bumped into someone in the hall. No big deal right? Wrong.

“Hey! Watch it!”

I tipped my head back and looked up. The girl I’d just walked into was tall, with bad ash blond highlights and tan eyes that matched. She scowled at me.

“Oh. Sorry ‘bout that.”

The girl looked at me with further scrutiny.
“Are you new or something? Because I think I’d remember someone as... different looking as you.”

“Yes, I’m new. And by different looking, I assume you mean gorgeous beyond belief.”
“No, I meant ugly as a pig, if you must know.”

Okay, politeness obviously wasn’t going to work.

“So I guess it wouldn’t be an insult to say that your hair reminds me of a bumblebee?”
“Excuse me?”
“Those highlights are horrible. They look like stripes. Like on a bumblebee. Or a zebra’s ass.”

I felt a cold sting as she slapped me. I barely flinched. Okay, that was harsh. But she deserved it.

“You’re lucky you’re new,” she snarled, “because anyone who’s been here long enough to know better knows not to mess with me.”
“You’re lucky you haven’t met me,” I replied with my best sunny expression, “because anyone who knows me knows better than to provoke me.” I pushed past her and walked away.

Later I talked to Luna about it. She said a lot but all I could understand was that the girl’s name was Raquel and she was the queen bee. I resolved to ask someone not so insane about it. Like Jay. Somehow I had a feeling he’d been teased by her, too.

Therapy is retarded. It’s basically me talking about my childhood and Dr. Gonzalez putting me on medication. Fun fun fun. If it was any more fun I might start crying. But maybe I will anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
We have plot development!