Temptation

two

We were on our way to Kim's. I was kind of nervous because Slim had always dropped the girls off by himself. I was only along for the ride this time because we were going to get my stuff after this. My stomach flipped nervously as we pulled into her driveway. Marshall had said that she liked to come out to the car to get them. "MOMMY!" Hailie yelled as Kim made her way toward the car.

I heard the car door open. "Hey girls! Mommy's missed you!" Genuine excitement and love was laced in her voice. I debated on whether to turn around to say goodbye or not. I wasn't going to see them for four days, so what the hell? Why was so scared of her anyway?

"Bye girls! I'll miss you!"

Kim’s eyes immediately fell on me, daggers aimed to pierce through me. "Who's your new hoe, Marshall?" she laughed. I knew she wasn't jealous. She just said that out of mere spite for Marshall. My eyes still stung as I turned back around in my seat. Marshall's knuckles were white as he grasped the steering wheel. He got out of the car, facing Kim.

Marshall's P.O.V
I walked over to my ex-wife, keeping my voice at a whisper for my daughter’s sakes. “She ain’t like you so that don’t make her a hoe. Since you are the mother of my child, I’m finna drop this, but keep at it Kim and I won’t just kill you in a rap.”

Kim’s face fell grave, her hands instinctively flying to her hips in a prissy manner. “Fuck Marshall, you just about take anything you can get, huh? She’s a kid for Christ’s sake!” she hissed in a whisper. She turned to the girls, smiling, “Why don’t you go inside, girls. There’s some fresh baked brownies in the kitchen.”

“Double, chocolate chip fudge?” Hailie beamed. They were her favorite.

Kim nodded and the girls took off running. She turned back to me, “Is that what turns you on now, jailbait?” She chuckled, shaking her head. “You disgust me.”

She turned to leave, but the anger that had been boiling inside of me would not let her go. I grabbed her wrist, jerking her back to look at me. “Listen, bitch, what I do and who I do is none of your damn business. She’s not my girl, she’s the one taking care of your daughters since your incompetent to.”

She tore her hand away, spitting out a “Fuck you” before turning on her heel. I sighed, narrowing my gaze. Why did her words anger me so much? Was she right..? Was I subconsciously keeping Taylor around for my own pleasure? I shook my head, disgusted at my own thoughts. She was just a kid.
____

"You don't have to come in if you don't want to." We were at my house now. I kind of didn't want him to come in with me, to avoid any further, unneeded, confrontation with my mother. He already had enough when he defended me from Kim, I didn’t want to add my mother to the mix.

"Nah, I'm not scared of her and you gon' need help gettin' your stuff. C'mom, let's go." His big, goofy smile was back. It was contagious, I couldn’t help but smile back as we made our way to the door.

I turned the knob, pushing to door slowly open. "Mom?" I called. Slim followed me in.

"Yes baby?" She came into the living room, wiping her hands with a dishrag. I could make out the faint smell of her signature pecan pie as it baked in the oven. Her eyes immediately fell on the man behind me. "Oh. It's you." she said bitterly, venom dripping from her words.

Anger began to take over me. "You don't even know him Mom,” my tone matched hers, something that clearly displeased her by the look on her face.

"All I know, is he's a good for nothing wigger,” she spat.

Something in me snapped - she did not just got there. "Well you know what mom? I'm moving in with him and his girls for the summer because they seemed to care more about me than you ever have!” The anger I held caged within me was breaking loose and with it my tears as well.

"Excuse me, young lady! You are sixteen Taylor Layne Carter! You are not moving in with a forty year old man!” she fumed. Her cheeks were blood red from the anger she was unleashing.

"He is thirty-seven,” I clarified, as if that made it any more acceptable. “And I babysit his little girls, it’s my fucking job!”

"I don’t care! You are not moving in with him!”

"I fucking hate you," I sneered. "C'mon Slim, let's go pack." I took his hand, leading him down the hall.

"This is what I deserve after all the shit I have done for you?” she screamed after us.

"Yeah, mom, making me pay for every fucking thing I own. You’re so sweet. Thanks,” sarcasm and hate oozed from my tone. I slammed the door, sobbing.

"C'mon kid, don't cry. Shh, " Marshall came over and lifted my chin. He gave me another goofy grin, his warm hand brushing my shoulder, comforting me.

I giggled through the tears at his expression. "I miss him so much Slim..."

"Who baby?" he asked gently, looking me dead in the eyes. I recognized that tone. It was the same tone he used when he was trying to console his daughters. It made my insides ache.

"My dad..." A new wave of sobs consumed me.

"Come 'ere honey." He sighed and took my seat belt off, pulling me into his warm embrace.

I breathed in his musky scent as I dug my face into his chest. I had to fight the urge to kiss it. "He supported me in everything I did. He even liked your music. He respected that you were real." My voice trembled.

Marshall's P.O.V.
I sighed, stroking her arm in hopes of comforting her. I never knew my dad, never cared for him either. But I knew what it was like to be a dad, and I guess that part of me took over for the moment. “I wish I could of met him, Tay. But look at it this way, he’s in a better place now and I know for a fact he wouldn’t want your pretty, lil face drowned in tears. If I died, I wouldn’t want my girls to waste their tears on me.” She whimpered, still sobbing. I held her closer, tighter. “Shh, it’s gonna be alright.”
_______

After we packed everything we headed back to Marshall’s place. He seemed distant, like he was thinking about something. So I didn’t bother him. I just hung my head, trying to clear my thoughts.

“Hey.” I felt his hand under my chin, lifting it up. “Turn that frown upside down,” he said with a goofy grin.

I pushed his hand away, “You’re lame, Slim.”

“Aye, watch it,” he joked as he pulled into his driveway. He got out and I waited for him to come around to my side. He brought out my wheelchair and gently helped me up. My cheeks began to burn at his skin upon me. I wrapped my arms around his neck for better support. He grabbed my waist to lift me, but stopped.

I looked up at him. “Slim, what are-“ I stopped as our eyes locked. His sapphire eyes glistened as they inched closer to my face.

Marshall’s P.O.V.
I held her there, mesmerized. She looked so innocent, so pure…so beautiful. I could feel myself leaning in as if to kiss her, but I couldn’t make myself stop. It was like something took over me.

I finally found the strength to pull back, “Ugh, sorry Tay, just got a lot on my mind.”

She nodded, smiling, “It’s cool.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? :D