Come Back

Behind those liquid eyes lies a beast waiting to take over

The sun slid from the tip of her toes up towards her chest sending warmth through her body as she sat outside on the porch starring at the sky above. She waved lazily at the boy who tossed the daily news near her hand. He smiled a friendly “hello” before reaching into his bag and tossing another news paper to the next house.

Olivia unfolded the paper skimming through words that didn’t matter to her. She fought the hesitant urge to look at the top corner reminding her that this sunny day was the afternoon her and Jason were forced to spend in David’s backyard.

“Yes…” Jason’s voice was soft and muffled from behind the front door. “Okay, we know… I’ll..” His voice disappeared from Olivia’s hearing range, she let out a defeated sigh imagining what Jason said to his parents on the phone. She knew Jason had been pleading, begging, arguing with his parents hoping they would change their mind about the party. But the one time Olivia and Jason asked something from them in 2 months their parents decided only now to stand their ground as the parents and demand that they attended the party. They told them it was a great opportunity to speak to other people and interact with someone else other than each other.

There was a quiet click from behind her and Olivia saw a pair of feet step out onto the porch before sliding down until Jason sat next to Olivia. He was frustrated, Olivia could tell. She observed silently as his chest heaved fiercely up and down. His fingers dag into his scalp as he pulled on his lock of hair.

She sat dangerously still, feeling numb and helpless as she studied the scars on Jason’s wrists from the self inflicted wounds he scratched when he was alone and discouraged. She reached a light hand out towards him and placed it on his shoulder rubbing small circles into the soft cloth over his muscular bicep. Olivia pulled Jason into her, holding him in place waiting for him to react. His breathing steadied and he gave into her comforting grasp.

“It’s almost 12..” she whispered giving his shoulder a light squeeze. His hair slid through Olivia’s fingers easily as she played with it. “Let’s go get ready before we fall asleep out here.” She let her arms slowly slide off his shoulders to his chest as Olivia backed away slowly. He followed her in the house and upstairs changing into swim trunks and a plain white shirt that had its sleeves cut off so it looked more like a tank top instead.

Olivia’s stripped out of her clothes into a black and white polka dot bikini bottom and top. Before leaving the room she slipped on shorts and tied her hair up in a messy bun. They stalked out of the house and a few houses down to David’s house.

Music flew from the backyard through the house and out onto the front deck. Before Olivia could even lift her hand to ring the doorbell the door flew open and David emerged only wearing swim trunks. He just nodded and headed towards the back.

“Ready?”

“Ready.” Olivia nodded and both groaned before following David into his living room. A lot of people were actually there, Jason imagined that it would be easy for them both to slip out of sight and leave a few minutes into the party.

“Welcome,” his voice rang through multiple rooms followed by the loud clink of glasses being tapped together before its contents were swallowed.

Olivia and Jason walked their separate ways, both still not understanding what they were doing here. Ever since the first day they let their eyes set upon David… Something isn’t right about him.

------

“This party—it’s more than a ‘get-to-know-each-other,’ kind of thing,” Olivia whispered from the second floor. She sat on the balcony that over looked David’s pool. Below her genuine smiles flowed through everyone. The breeze picked up but it wasn’t strong enough to send the vibe through her body. David stood near the stairs flipping hamburgers and hot dogs. Occasionally stopping to laugh at what the girl near him was saying. As if knowing her eyes laid upon his figure he starred up directly at her, warm eyes turning into such ice as he smirked like a devil. The lady near David tugged on his arm and he tore his gaze away from Olivia to continue their conversation.

Jason stood on the far edge of the lawn. Keeping his distance from David knowing he’d only want to stab him when he remembered the way his eyes starred at Olivia. He turned to see Olivia standing on the beam of the balcony. She jumped down, looking as light as a feather, her hair dancing in the wind. She landed with such grace ignoring the “awe” glances she received as she walked past everyone else.

“You alright?” He nodded looking past her to the lake behind.

“You’re such a show off.” Jason scoffed, she shrugged her shoulders not caring and starred at the tree lines. The black figure flashing through her mind before disappearing as quickly as they occurred.

“You’re head hurting again?” His voice couldn’t reach Olivia as she drifted away from reality. Her thoughts wondered to her forgotten memories. Replaying her dreams, analyzing them, desperately searching for the hidden message within the trees. A block hid the answers so well that she was pushed back into the backyard as her head pounded from the constant idle thoughts.

“Yea.” She answered before tearing her glare from the answer beyond the lake.

In complete sync David’s voice bellowed as he shouted “Food’s ready!”

“C’mon,” Jason let her usher them both to two empty seats near the pool. Bodies splashed out of the water and into the long line forming as they anxiously awaited for their food.

“Here here! My cooking isn’t that bad.” David reassured appearing in front of Olivia and Jason with two full plates. He set them down in front of them before returning with two red cups containing liquid. Before leaving he sent them an obviously fake smile before walking into his house and disappearing for the rest of the time they were both there.

Slowly, they picked up their plates. Eating and drinking what they were served. It seemed simply harmless at first, plain ol’ food that everyone else was eating. But that simple action became an unknown mistake as their time passed by.