Come Back

Found

He fell short today. It had been a whole week that Jason and his friends searched for Olivia. He had told his friends that it was fine and to stop searching. If she wanted to be found she would have came out by now. They had agreed to this, but none were too happy about it. Jason did his best to keep a straight face as he said so. He knew where Olivia was. Everyone was so close to finding her several times but he led them the other way. When Olivia is ready, she’ll appear once more. For now, he’d let her have her alone time to recover. It was the only thing he could do without her asking questions that would lead up to the big mystery.

Jason sat still, listening to the flock of birds passed overhead running away of winters breath. He let out a deep exhale and laid down on the wooden bench that was too uncomfortable for his liking but he didn’t complain. His mind was elsewhere, too busy focusing on Olivia. Unconsciously his hand thought for itself and lifted itself to his neck as he clutched the necklace. He didn’t even notice his knuckles turning white as he fiddled with the heart. Running his fingers slowly over the letters he knew so well and kept close to his heart. He traced each letter, each word. Slowly he dropped his necklace and reached for his rosary and prayed once more to have his Olivia back.

Kids ran about, laughing and screaming down the streets. Snow flew everywhere but Jason didn’t study them in awe, instead he retreated to the warmth of his house and emptiness of his bed. All he could do was lay motionless on his bed, listening to the weak cries that seeped through his closed windows. No doubt they were from her. But maybe she just didn’t want any help. He fought the urge to comfort her. Along with the ceiling above his thoughts went blank. Just a mere thought of that day threatened to push his limits.

Reality struck him like a rock when a loud ‘Squawk,’ cut through the atmosphere from outside. Jason rushed to the window searching for that sound. Cursing under his breath he ran down to the lake where Olivia stood starring wide eyed at the bird and its owner.

“Hello,” the man smiled tipping his hat a bit.
“Hello, Hello,” The parrot perched on the man’s shoulder echoed.

Jason starred at Olivia, not knowing what she would do at the resemblance of the bird’s echo. A fresh river of tears rolled down her cheeks as she stood paralyzed unable to look away. In her eyes were the result. Her eyes skimmed what was in front of her before she would shut them tight for a few moments. She was remembering, and no one could protect her from herself.

“What’s a beautiful lady like you doing out here crying?”
“You’re so beautiful. So beautiful.” The parrot screeched.

Jason knew this was the moment she would crack. That one sentence that both of them tried pushing out of their thoughts was finally fighting back. Olivia’s memory from that day was now clear to her as she backed away from the owner and his bird silently pleading for help. She spun around and ran to hide behind Jason. Olivia bawled on the dock, hugging her knees and avoiding eye contact with the bird.

The man starred at them in utter shock and confusion but Jason ignored him and quickly called Dr. Tanaka. Jason watched as the man turned and ran away from the scene as fast as he could. Finally over Olivia’s crying Dr. Tanaka’s voice was heard.

“Hello? Jason?”

“Olivia’s remembering it all.” He franticly rushed an explanation waiting for an answer when his rushed sentences came to an end.

“Bring her to my office, I think I know what’s happening. Hurry, you must hurry.” The doctors voice was calm but there was an obvious hint of worry hidden.

Jason understood and once he hung up he leaded Olivia to his car. She continued pleading for help, his help. He knew he needed to hurry. Jason believed that she didn’t deserve to remember that day. No one should relive that day.