Sequel: Evolution of V
Status: 8/4/17 - Now publishing the rewrite in progress! Let me know what you think!

The Letter V

Eight

EIGHT

Callum scowled at Nathan. Clearly he thought he had a chance with this mystery woman - he had none. But Callum also knew that Nathan never showed interest in women, so he fully expected him to relinquish his conquest and let him dance. Callum’s gaze flickered back and forth between the two of them a few times, skeptical of the timing and the fact that Nathan was so intent on taking the girl up on the dance so early in the evening.

Callum nodded. “Of course, your Highness,” he said sarcastically, gesturing toward Violet with a flourish. He nodded towards her, offering a wink. “If you get bored of this one, I’ll be here. Pleasure to meet you, Miss Ella.”

And then he disappeared off into the crowd, undoubtedly in search of another, less occupied bridesmaid.

Nathan didn’t say anything to Violet, not immediately - he was looking her up and down, trying to wrap his head around the sight. She looked beautiful, he had to admit - the sight of her made his heart race ever so slightly. He wasn’t about to let it control him, but it was worth noting that he enjoyed it. More than anything, she looked like she belonged. He held out his hand and she took it, gracefully and silently.

He pulled her into a waltz, and they began to move. “Step on my feet,” he said softly, just next to Violet’s ear.

Violet felt shivers travel through her body. She was so disoriented that she thought she hadn’t heard him correctly. “P-Pardon?”

“Step up onto my feet,” Nathan said through gritted teeth. “I’ll get us away from here, but you have to let me lead.”

She didn’t question it. She pulled herself up onto his arches, closing the gap between their bodies. He radiated a comforting warmth, but his arms were strong, solid, holding her frame as they turned across the floor. He smelled distinctly of himself - soap, sandalwood, lavender. She nearly forgot what she was doing, she was so lost in the essence of Nathan.

It was after a few turns and a graceful dip that Violet realized that Nathan had made his way over to the farthest balcony, one that led to a staircase out to the garden. It was an escape route, she realized, as Nathan gently untangled himself from her grasp. He instead elected to grab her hand, pulling her out of the grand doors without a word.

Instead of stopping at the balcony, Nathan led her outside and down the stairs. He didn’t want anyone from inside to see or hear them - he knew the wedding celebration would be full of gossiping guests, who undoubtedly would have a field day with Nathan’s activities. Sneaking off with a bridesmaid? He’d never hear the end of it. And frankly, neither would his mother.

Nathan walked, determined, until he was well out of earshot of the party. He ducked behind a garden wall, a towering bush that was immaculately well-groomed, before turning around to face Violet.

In one swift motion, he pulled his mask off his face. “Violet, what on earth are you doing?!”

Violet felt her heart drop. She hadn’t intended any harm to anyone - all she had wanted was to make Penelope happy, maybe take a night off, wear a nice dress. She hadn’t meant for anything bad to happen - so why did Nate look so angry to see her?

When she didn’t respond, Nathan continued, grabbing her shoulders gently and giving her a shake. “Do you know what could have happened if someone found out who you were? You would have been fired, Violet. Your life here would be gone, or worse. You told me that yourself.”

Violet wrenched herself out of his grip. He was right, of course - she had said that, the night he had returned to the castle. She had used it as an excuse to stay away from him, which was something she was finding more and more difficult to do.

Violet took her own mask off, squinting up at Nate in the darkness. He was lit only by the light emanating from the palace, far off and dim. “Penelope asked me to do it,” she snapped, trying to wrap her head around the fact that he was really standing there in front of her, looking like he did.

Nathan scoffed. “Right, so if Penelope asks you to risk everything you have, that somehow makes it alright? Did you even think about anyone else when she asked you to do this?”

It was unspoken between the two of them, but Violet got the distinct feeling that he was referring to himself. Her heart sent a flutter through her chest - what did that mean? Did he even care that she was here? Why would he feel that way?

Suddenly Violet felt a drop of rain on her forehead. She wiped it away, puzzled, but thought nothing else of it. “Of course I did,” she said, looking blearily up at the sky. “But I just wanted - for once, I wanted to -”

A blast of thunder roared overhead, cutting her off.

In an instant, the sky opened up over their heads. It was a torrent of rain that decided to pelt the castle grounds. Violet could feel the energy in the air as a bolt of lightning struck somewhere off in the distance, not too far away from where they were. It was clear that the storm was coming their way, and they were sitting ducks out in the middle of the garden like that.

“Dammit,” Nathan swore. He took Violet’s hand, quickly, and pulled her away from where she stood, away from the garden. “Follow me!”

He didn’t necessarily need to tell her to - like it or not, she would follow him anywhere.

Violet was surprised when Nate didn’t head back toward the ballroom - instead, they darted out toward the stable, which was at least a little bit closer. Violet felt her heart beat just a little bit faster. She knew the horses would be spooked by the storm, and she in turn would be spooked by the horses. But it would do, especially since everyone at the palace would start asking questions if they returned as they were.

As they reached the stable, Nate turned and shut the massive barn door behind them. He was breathing raggedly, hanging onto the door handle to catch his breath. He could barely hear himself think over the sound of the storm raging outside. Thunder was rumbling in the distance, the wind howling in the cracks of the old stable walls. It was bitterly cold inside - he had hoped it would offer some warmth, but he had been mistaken. At least it was dry, and sheltered from the wind.

Another clap of thunder roared above them, loud enough to shake the building.

The horses in their stalls began to whinny, clearly frightened by all of the commotion. Nathan stole a glance at Violet - she looked terrified, glancing all over the room, looking for a way out. He could see tears glistening in her eyes.

Before he knew what he was doing, Nate let go of the door and quickly pulled Violet into his chest, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. She felt cold and damp - naturally - but she buried her face into his chest, letting out a quiet sob. He felt a shiver run down his spine as he placed his chin on top of her head. She seemed to fit perfectly into his embrace, like she was meant to be there. She was perfect.

“I-I-I’m s-s-sorry,” Violet stuttered, sniffling.

Nate shushed her quietly, reaching up to stroke her hair. “It’s alright. I’m here. Everything is going to be alright.”

Nathan was searching around desperately for something warm. Naturally, there was no fire in the building, there was too much straw laying around for that. But he did see a small lantern, and next to the lantern was a ladder that led up to a small loft. In the dim light, Nate could make out that the loft was piled high with blankets, no doubt the sort of blankets that would keep the horses warm in the winter - just what Violet needed.

Slowly, Nate led Violet over to the ladder. “Up here,” he said gently, urging her over. He realized it would be easier to pull her up, so he climbed the ladder with ease. He turned back once he gained his footing, only to see that Vi was standing right behind him.

Despite the fogginess in her head, Violet was not hampered physically - she followed behind quickly, trying to avoid eye contact with the horses as she went up.
She found that the dress was particularly difficult to move in, now that it was soaked through and scratchy. It was becoming harder and harder to breathe. Once she had made her way up the ladder, she started to claw at the dresses’ corset. Her hands stung from the cold, so her fingers couldn’t make any work of the corset strings. She was so used to putting them on other people that she was useless at taking them off of herself.

Suddenly Nate was behind her, taking the strings from her and gently loosening them. His hands were impossibly warm as they made their way up her back, freeing her from the cage. He was silent as he did so, but Violet could feel his breaths hitting her neck in small, warm puffs that made her insides tingle. She found herself rocking her head back slightly, letting herself fall into his warmth, allowing her body to follow its instincts.

In moments, her corset fell to the floor, and she stepped out of her overskirts. She was left in a long shift dress - still soaked, but well-covered, and finally able to breathe. She let out a long sigh and wrapped her arms around herself, hoping to keep in some of the warmth.

She watched as Nate peeled off his outer jacket, abandoning it on the floor. He released himself from a velvet vest and shirt as well, so that he was left in a loose tunic and his trousers. She felt as though she should be embarrassed, watching him undress - he was a royal, and it was remarkably inappropriate for her to even be here - but she couldn’t look away. She was mesmerized by the way his muscles moved, lean and defined, the muscles of a man who had known work in his lifetime.

Nathan ran his hands through his hair, trying to look anywhere other than at Violet. She was only wearing a shift - he’d never been around a woman in that state before. Surely she’d want some privacy, although there wasn’t much of that to be had. He eyed the pile of blankets on the floor, and bent down to pick it up. He was thinking only of the way his body had reacted when she leaned into him - it was intoxicating. He wrapped the blanket around her shoulders, still avoiding eye contact.

“That should help,” he said softly, barely audible over the roar of the rain hitting the tin roof.

Violet looked at him, unable to look away. “Nate, I…” she was trying to find words, but none were coming to her. “Thank you. Really, I - thank you.” She glanced down at herself. “Do - Do I look alright?” she joked.

He finally looked at her. She was staring up at him, with those eyes that haunted him, a look of wonder on her face. She was perfect - perfection. He had never known a woman to radiate goodness and purity like she did. He thought about the way she fit perfectly into his arms a moment ago, how her skin felt under his fingers. He knew, in that moment, that if there were anything she had asked him to do, he would do it in a heartbeat. He’d never felt like this about anyone - how one could be so totally bonded to another soul like his was to Violet’s.

“You… you’re breathtaking,” he whispered, his gaze flickering back and forth between her eyes and her lips.

That hadn’t been the response Violet had anticipated, but it sent her heart racing. She wanted so badly to just lean forward slightly, just a little. To close the gap. It was all too much for her - he was a prince. How could it be possible for him to be looking at her the way he was right now.

The pull of her lips was magnetic - Nathan found himself trying as hard as he could to resist, but it was impossible. He found himself drawn into her, hypnotized by everything about her. She was beautiful, warm, adventurous, fearless - she was perfect. He reached up to gently tuck one of the loose golden curls behind her ear. He let his hand rest on her cheek. She leaned her head into it softly, smiling up at him.

“Vi?” he breathed, slowly leaning down.

“Mmm?” She couldn’t form words - her mind was scattered everywhere.

“I’m going to… Can I…?”

Before she had a chance to say anything in response, Nate’s lips were on hers.

Every piece of her body was lit up with a warm, relentless fire. It started from her chest and radiated out toward her limbs, head, and parts of her body she’d never been more aware of before. His lips were soft, but with urgent passion that spoke what he couldn’t speak with words.. She felt the stubble of his jaw tickle her chin as he moved and wondered wantonly what it would feel like in other places. She reached her arms up to wrap them around his neck and he deepened the kiss, letting out a contented sigh from his nose. She felt him wrap one hand around her waist and knot the other into her hair as he brought her closer to him, her body suddenly flush against his. She closed her eyes, drinking in the feeling of Nate - he was warm, and gentle, and perfect

Of all the fairytales they’d shared, it was by far her favorite.