Status: Contest Entry//Finished

Summer Storms

.001

A photographer snapped a picture of the red orange sunset while seagulls shrieked at each other over dead fish. A young couple stood on the end of the dock; they could be in their mid-twenties at the most. A soft wind blew through the air, sending the salty smell of the ocean into the nostrils of those nearby. The photographer snapped another picture of the sunset and the surrounding area before deciding to pack up for the night, leaving the young couple to what was presumed to be a romantic evening.

Another breath of wind blew through the air sending the girls chocolate hair slightly off center to ruin the time that she had carefully put into fixing it that certain way. A frown set upon her delicate face as she brushed the strand of hair back to where it was supposed to be with her manicured nails. Her green eyes seemed to cloud over as the man slung his tattooed arm around the girl’s petite waist. A noise of disapproval escaped her lips as the man’s hand rubbed her thigh, he let out a small sigh, this was not the first time he had been told no.

“So is there a specific reason that you brought me here?” She asked after a heavy moment of silence, the seagulls had stopped arguing with one another and now the only thing that was heard was the waves lapping up against the dock. Her voice was crisp but at the same time clueless while the man rolled his eyes and bit his tongue before he said something that he would surely regret.

“I thought it would a good place for a romantic evening, that’s all.” He answered in a heavy tone. Indeed it was a good place for a romantic evening, grabbing a bite to eat at one of the many small restaurants that littered the boardwalk before watching the sun set over the ocean on the dock. The many shades of red, orange, pink and purple hang overhead while reflecting into waters below.

“Well you obviously thought wrong.” The girl replied in a snide tone, voicing both of their thoughts. The man let out a hum of disapproval, obviously rethinking his earlier thoughts about a nice romantic evening. He carefully retracted his arm from the girl’s tiny waist before turning to face the girl.

“Kelly I don’t know what you’re problem is, I really don’t I try to do something nice for you as a couple and all you do is whine and complain.” He stared in a quiet tone, not trying to feed the fire which had already begun to burn dangerously out of control. A dangerous look crossed the girls face as she turned to face him.

“All I do is whine and complain? You have got to be kidding me; all I do is look at things realistically, like you’re supposed to.” She replied in a stiff tone, this was not good, so much for a romantic evening on the beach.

“Kelly I am looking at things realistically, you’re going back home in a week and I thought this would be a nice treat for both of us.” He said reaching out and putting his hand on the girls’ shoulder that the girl just brushed off.

“Why? Why would you do such a thing? This is just some silly summer fling right? I mean I’m just going to go home, and both of us are going to forget about this, and each other.” She replied in a hurried tone, shooting glances at the man who had remained stone-faced throughout her little speech.

“I didn’t think it was some silly summer fling, I thought it was more than that.” He said in a quiet but hurt tone. He sounded like the innocent little boy who had just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. The girls’ eyes flickered guiltily as the man continued “but if you thought it was that, then I guess you’re right, I guess this wasn’t needed.” He shot a look at the girl whose eyes stared downwards uncertainly at the boards. “Kelly I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, I really don’t.” He murmured quietly as the girl looked up at him.

“You care.” She replied in a low tone earning a confused look from the dark haired man. “That’s what you’re doing wrong, you care.” She said as the man stared at her, she was babbling nonsense, she had to just be babbling nonsense, there was no way at all that he could make sense out of the words that were pouring out of her mouth.

“I don’t see how that’s wrong Kelly, we’re in a relationship isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be?” He questioned, he knew where this was going by now they both did. His face remained perfectly smooth as he buried his emotions while the girl struggled to control hers.

“That’s how a real relationship works.” She started slowly, thinking about what she was saying. “Not some stupid summer fling, you’re not supposed to care in summer flings, they’re not supposed to mean anything. They’re temporary. Non-permanent, like water color paint or makeup you just wash it away once you’re through with it.” She finished, spitting out the words as she stared at the calm water, listening to the silence which had taken over. The man remained motionless for a moment before he bent down.

“I thought this was a real relationship, that’s why I cared. If I had known it was some fling then I would’ve walked away a long time ago.” He hissed in the girl’s ear then straightened up. “Now I’ll leave you to your thoughts but before I go, I thought you might like to have something.” He said out loud as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a little green box. He pushed it into the girl’s hand before turning around and walked away, leaving the girl standing there alone in the sunset.

She waited until he reached the end of the pier before focusing her attention back onto the box and opening it, revealing inside a golden ring with a diamond and a note. Tears blurring her vision she quickly read the note.

To my dearest Kelly,
Who keeps my waters calm even on the stormiest days.
♠ ♠ ♠
Because heartbreak is always nice.