Status: Completed

Eyes Like Ice

Blood Loss and Madness

I opened my eyes and found myself staring up at an unfamiliar child. The ten-year-old boy gazed down at me with the light blue eyes of my species, although they were filled with a childlike concern that was somewhat uncharacteristic for a Levellua.
"Are you all right?" the brown-haired child asked quietly.

"Yes," I answered, slowly sitting up. After blinking a few times, I grimaced, realizing that my contacts were gone, letting the real, super light color of my irises show. Hopefully Riley doesn't freak out when he sees them...If he sees them.

"Ah. It's good to see that you're awake," another male Levellua, this one several years older than me, said as he kneeled next to me. He had short blond hair and the usual light blue eyes.

I looked around the dark, vacant office we were currently occupying before saying, "He's only captured three of us, then?"

"Yes," the man said, nodding.

"Why haven't you broken out of here?" was my next question, asked when I realized that only a flimsy wooden door stood between us and freedom. I had also thought about using the window as an escape route, but we were still on the highest floor of the building, so that really wasn't an option.

"Why don't you see for yourself?" the older Levellua suggested, gesturing toward that flimsy door as all three of us got to our feet.

I walked over to the door and cautiously reached out to touch the handle. The moment my skin met it, a slight jolt went through my body and I fell to the carpeted floor, momentarily paralyzed.

"That man knows how to keep us contained," the man stated while watching me get to my feet nearly three minutes later when the paralysis wore off. "The same thing happens if you touch the walls or the window, and the door isn't weak enough to be broken down with a chair or something." Pointing at a broken desk chair laying on the floor, he said, "We've tried."

"Lovely," I muttered, gazing stoically at the door. Then I got an idea...

Not even bothering to ask the two males if they had tried this, I slammed my shoe-clad foot into the doorknob, knocking the ugly gold object out. A second kick, this one aimed at the door itself, nearly tore the door off of its hinges, giving us a way out.

"Morons," I mumbled while making my way through the half-open door.

The man and the child glanced at each other, then turned and followed me out into the hallway without a word.

We didn't meet any resistance until we reached the sixth floor, where we found several masked men, dressed all in black, pointing guns at us and blocking our path down the stairs.

I growled. Our kind might have been durable, but even we could die if our bodies ended up full of bullets.

"Just turn and go back to your cell, and we won't hurt you," one of the men told us, holding his weapon perfectly still even as he spoke.

I studied the armed bastards and quickly went over my options.

If I rushed forward, I could manage to knock most of the men over, giving my comrades time to escape while I dealt with what remained of our enemies.

That was the only option I really liked, so I stopped the pondering of my options there.

I lunged at the men, easily sending a few of them toppling down the stairs. I grabbed another man's arm and tossed him down after his buddies.

"Hurry up and go. If you can at least get down a few more flights of stairs, you can reach a window to jump out of." I watched as the males hesitated for a moment, then I barked, "GO!" They obeyed at that point, running down the stairs, passing my disoriented opponents as they went.

I was forced to stop watching their progress when a gunshot sounded from behind me and a bullet lodged itself in my left arm. I winced, but soon blocked out the pain and used my claws to decapitate the man who had fired at me. This attack only caused more bullets to be fired at me, these ones embedding themselves in my legs. I cried out and stumbled back, fighting the urge to collapse.

Collapsing now wouldn't help anyone, so why waste time doing it?

I staggered toward my opponents with blood flowing from my legs like a crimson waterfall. Quickly, I turned my pain into motivation, and my claws began mercilessly tearing through the flesh of those armed men who dared to stand in my way.

The sorry bastards didn't stand a chance against me when I was like this.

In no time at all, I was hurriedly staggering down the stairs, covered in human blood and nearly falling every few steps.

Reaching the first floor was a relief for only three seconds, lasting until I noticed the two male Levellua I had tried to help surrounded by more armed men. They were all just standing there, no one bothering to move.

I told them to jump out a window when they made it to a lower floor, I thought as I charged, still in my 'motivated' state, at the bastards aiming guns at the guys I was determined to save. Idiots.

Claws met flesh several times in rapid succession, and all of those men were dead rather quickly. More came from somewhere behind me, but I ignored them along with the pain of three more bullets meeting my back and headed right out the front doors, my fellow Levellua having fled during my killing spree.

The scents of Dominick as well as, much to my surprise, Spike and Riley met my sensitive nose the moment I made it outside, although the smells meant nothing to me at the moment.

I was losing control now, my mind clouded by pain and anger and my instincts taking over.

An armed man came at me. My fangs sank into his throat, which I immediately ripped out.

A second man tried to attack me, and the same thing happened to him.

The third man that tried to approach me was familiar, an ally, but my mind was too fuzzy to comprehend that, so when he grabbed my upper arms and tried to make me calm down, my fangs sank into the delicate flesh of his neck, too.

Arms wrapped around my waist from behind now, lightly pulling at my body, trying to pry me off of my current delicious, Levellua-flavored prey without hurting me. This man's efforts were momentarily stopped by a strong kick I aimed back at his knee.

A human voice met my ears, repeatedly yelling what my brain told me was my own name, then the tugging on my waist began again, rougher now.

My prey pushed against my arms, attempting to force me back, away from him.

Calls of my name...

Pulling on my waist...

Pushing on my arms...

Blood in my mouth...

With a gasp, I let go of Dominick's neck, throwing myself back into Spike, causing Riley to stop yelling my damned name.

I panted and stared up at the dark sky, wide-eyed and confused, with Dominick's blood dripping down my chin.

My mind gradually cleared, but not enough for me to say any more than a soft, "Sorry," before I passed out, drifting off into a sleep forced upon me by a mixture of blood loss and madness.