Status: Active; Comments, please?

Artemis’ Hunting Moon

Preface

Lifting her bow and arrow, seeing the simple deer as the full moon slowly rose, illuminating the eerie forest in rich and pure silver. She studied her prey, slowly creeping closer, making sure not to make a sound and startle the fragile fawn. This is my lucky night, she thought, allowing herself a small smile. She aimed her bow and arrow, pulling it back slowly, not breaking her gaze from the ignorant and defenseless creature from where she crouched behind the bushes and trees, shadowing her completely. Just one shot and she’s dead. She grinned at the thought, nearly loosing her focus. She let the arrow go, making a swish through the hushed and chill air before killing it.

It fell over limply, its eyes closed as its breathing slowly stopped, bringing an odd stillness to the young Huntress as she waited a few moments before emerging from the shadows, revealing herself to the Goddess who had been watching the entire scene play out.

Her light brown hair flew back behind her as the wind picked up, looking to be a silvery-bronze in the hushed midnight. Her slim frame standing tall and proud as she had made another successful hunt. Her pastel blue eyes darted around, making sure no one had seen her. Her features were truly that of a Huntress. Her cheekbones were high and slightly jerked out; her nose perfectly straight with a gentle curve upward. Her partially full lips were in a straight line for the most crucial moment of them all—capturing her kill without any interruptions or damage to the delicate stillness of the forest.

The Goddess immediately knew that this young Huntress would join her in one of her sacred hunts as most had done before. But I must wait. Patience is needed, the Goddess thought, smiling as the Huntress began dragging her prey away. This night is not an ordinary night. This is my night, for that is my moon, she thought, staring at the pale white circle as it stood out against the darkened sky, lighting up the forests with a kind of power to the Goddess. She stared after the Huntress a few more moments before slowly walking away, a small smile playing upon her lips.