Status: Finished

People Change and Promises Are Broken

Chapter Three

Rachel gasped and stepped quickly backwards, the look Nick was giving her, it pained her to see.

"I-I-" she stuttered, before turning around and running away.

"Rach, wait!" she heard one of the boys call after her. She ran as quick as she could, turning random corners, tears running down her face. Slowing down, Rachel wiped the tears off of her cheeks, and slumped down in a nearby chair.

"Rach?" She heard a voice say softly. Looking up, she saw Kevin Jonas. How he'd grown up. It felt like only yesterday that she'd had a school girl crush on her best friend's brother. Before she knew it, the memories flooded back into her head and the tears returned.

"Hush," he cooed, hugging her and pulling her in close, "It's okay."

Hearing footsteps, she looked up, Nick! She thought. But it wasn't. It was Joe.

"Rachie, Sweetie, don't cry," he comforted, joining the hug.

When Rachel had finally managed to stop crying, she looked up at the boys.

"I-I Missed you," She said, smiling weakly.

"Where's Nick, did he get lost?" Kevin asked.

Rachel pulse quickened, her eyes widened and she looked up at Joe, but with one glance at his face, her world fell.

"He went home..." Joe mumbled.

Kevin turned to look at her. Tears were welling up in her eyes, her hair covering her tear-stained face. She swiftly wiped the tears that had formed and looked up.

"I can understand why," She whispered, so quietly Joe and Kevin could only just hear.

"Honey, this ain't you're fault!" Joe said.

"It is, I left Nick," Rachel cried.

"No you didn't," Kevin said, looking into her eyes, " You saved him, you got help, you did nothing wrong!"

"But It must be, otherwise my dad wouldn't have left, and my brother would still be speaking to me," she wailed.

"What?" Joe gasped, "Your dad- your brother?"

"I have to go," Rachel said, wiping her face, and brushing her hand through her hair.

"Let us bring you home," Joe and Kevin offered.

"No- really – I'm fine," she insisted.

"C'mon Rach," Joe said, doing his puppy dog eyes face.

"Okay.." Rachel gave in.

Joe and Kevin brought her to their car, and she sat in the back, watching the world whizz past as she looked out of the window.

"Which house is it?" Kevin asked, slowing down the car.

"Number 21, with the purple door," Rachel answered.

They stopped outside her house.

"We'll see you in," they said, unstrapping their seat-belts and stepping out of the car.

As they walked up to the house, the door swung open and Rachel's sister ran out, and flung her arms around the boys.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, "Come In! Mum! Look! LOOK!" she bellowed, pulling them inside.

Rachel didn't bother following them into the living room, but instead trailed up to her room. She opened the door, closed it quietly, and then collapsed onto her bed, bursting into floods of tears. Rachel rolled over to her right, and picking up the picture next to her bed.

"Nicky," she wailed, "Why? I don't understand."

A tear landed onto the picture as she flung it into the bin. The tear landed in such away that even in the photo where two eager 7 year old children were grinning wildly, she looked as if she were crying, with Nick laughing at her pain. And that's certainly how it felt to her...