Status: Complete

Eleanor & Fred

Revealing & Worries

“So…where are we going?”

“Just out here.” I let Fred lead me out of the Great Hall and into the Entrance Hall, where we sat down on a bench. “I wanted to tell you something…special.” I raised an eyebrow at him but kept quiet so he would continue. “George and I have been forming…a plan. No one else knows quite yet. We’ve always shared a dream.”

I almost thought he was stating the beginnings of a joke, but the sparkle in his eyes told me otherwise. He was looking past me as he spoke. “Very few take our jokes as serious as we do, and we want to share our love with others. We, well once we find a place, we want to open up our own shop.”

A small giggle escaped me and I immediately covered my mouth with my hand. Fred looked hurt. “I’m sorry, I’m not laughing at you. I just thought you were going to tell me something more...well just more.”

He looked at me for a moment, his face blank. “Ellie…what more could I tell you? I just let you in on my biggest hope and aspiration; something that I can’t hide from you now if it fails terribly. I thought…I thought you’d understand that.” I grabbed his hand as he stood, pulling him back down beside me.

“I’m truly sorry,” I stated, grabbing his chin and forcing him to look at me. “I shouldn’t have taken it so lightly. I am glad that you feel like you can tell me such a thing, and I heard you arguing with George about it. The fact that you fought to tell me means even more to me. I think it’s a wonderful idea and I’m sure that you and George will be great at running your own place.”

Fred gave a small smile, squeezing my hand. “Thank you, Ell. And…we want to keep it a secret until we know everything is for sure, alright?” I nodded and pulled him into a hug.

Students began exiting the Great Hall to head for their morning classes. Fred agreed to walk me to mine, so when I spotted Alice, Wes, and Jay, I headed in their direction with Fred in tow. Jay darted off as soon as he saw me, causing me to frown.

“Don’t worry about him,” Alice smiled encouragingly.

“What’s his deal?” Fred asked, slinging an arm around my shoulders. Alice bit her lip, unsure what she should answer.

“He…” I decided that stating it bluntly would be easiest. “He has feelings for me. More than friendly feelings.”

Fred’s face creased in worry and Alice chose that moment to take a “shortcut” to class with Wes. “I thought you were just friends.”

“So did I,” I retorted quickly. “He just told me recently. I feel completely awkward now about it too.” When Fred’s expression didn’t change, I said “Don’t worry, he knows that I care about you.”

“Does he?” Fred frowned once more as a thought occurred to him. “And furthermore, he’s going to make you feel awful until he can get over it? That doesn’t seem right.”

“Alice said he’s just too embarrassed to be around me.”

Fred’s frown was suddenly creeping onto my face as well. I did, to a point, agree with him. I didn’t remark when he muttered something involving the words “ruddy git” but instead walked to rest of the way to Umbridge’s class in silence.

* * * * *

“Before we get started, I would like to make an announcement. Any student wishing to come forth with information about a certain illegal group will be rewarded. I will not have students disobeying my rules!” Umbridge’s voice rose with each word of the last sentence, causing nearly every student to flinch by the last one. “That said, you may begin your work, silently of course.”

I shared a glance with Alice before unrolling my parchment and getting out my quill and ink. I was almost positive that Umbridge had given me a knowing look while speaking. This thought was reassured when she asked me to stay after class. I told Alice and Wes to go on to potions without me, Jay already long gone.

“Ms. Brooks, I presume you know why you’re here.”

“I’m afraid I don’t, Professor Umbridge,” I replied, feigning politeness. In reality I was imagining all of the spells that I’d learned in Dumbledore’s Army and exactly what effect they would have on her.

“Oh, for heaven’s sake. I am not going to play games with a child! Sit!” I did as was told, hiding my grimace as she stood from behind her desk and walked over to stand in front of me, her toad-like face all that I could see as she leaned down, a hand on either side of my desk. “If you don’t tell me exactly what it is you and your little friends are up to and who is involved, you will be punished; And I can promise you, you will regret it.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Professor.” I placed the most innocent look I could muster upon my face causing her glare to intensify.

“I will give you one week to come up with a list of every single name.” She stood and walked out of the classroom, leaving me to sit alone, pissed off and slightly frightened.

What was I going to do?